2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Won't start after replacing the head...

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Austinsynthetics, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Austinsynthetics

Austinsynthetics Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 18, 2012
    Amsoil Distributor and Registered Nurse
    California
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I recently replaced the head after burning a valve, and though she has power, the dash indicates that my key is not recognized.

With the key FOB in the ignition, I get the headlights to level, and hear the fuel pump activating and then get the "key" indicator in the dash.

I believe I have read somewhere that I needed to have the car re-flashed, but was unable to find the thread.

Am I correct, or missing something really stupid?

Specs....

07 MCS
    New Head
    Stock motor
    Manual Trans

Thanks for the help!!!

Brett

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    It sounds like your ECU and the key have become un-sync'd.... I know this can happen if proper procedures aren't followed... But I can't remember the cause... Sort of like the running code changes in a garage opener... It's part of the theft prevention system...

Afraid it will require a trip to the dealer...

3. Austinsynthetics

Austinsynthetics Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 18, 2012
    Amsoil Distributor and Registered Nurse
    California
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Update to won't start....and now hazard lights won't turn off

After replacing the head, and putting her back together.... my initial problem was that I received the "Key" indicator. After purchasing the complete software package, I found that I had an open circuit. Come to find out..... I missed connecting the major ground from the body to the passenger side motor mount! DUH!!

I also struggled with getting her in time, despite using a dummy tensioner. The issue was that I was torguing the sprockets and the tensioner in the wrong order.

She runs like a dream now, with ALOT more power than she's ever had! But now I have a new issue....

After I had got on it, :wink: I had the exclamation point display on the dash and my hazards will now not shut off. I've disconnected and reconnected my battery, evaluated and cleared codes all without success. The car continues to run well....despite the code issue. Codes that display are MAF and turbo related.

The only issue that I know of is that I can not stop a small leak from the turbo's upper banjo. Could the leaking from the banjo cause these code issues?

Any ideas are appreciated.

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: No help here but I'll bump you back to the top again.:Thumbsup:

Jason