Wow...

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by cct1, May 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Ok, there are more than enough MINI sites out there already, but this one in particular has some pretty darned good possibilites...

First of all, the look of the site is very slick; can't remember many new sites that looked this good right off the bat.

Second, there is already is support from some of the best vendors out there--this also speaks well for the future of this site. It is missing Palo Uber though...:D It'll be interesting how Myne's/RMW will play out (wonder if they'll sign up, and if so, if they'll play nice); here's for hoping we can all get along and learn something from one another instead of posing.

Third, Nate has always been one of the "go to" guys at NAM, and I suspect a pretty good following will come this way (Looks like it already has in only one day). A site is only as good as its members, and it's looking like a who's who of folks from NAM is heading this way.

Here's to hoping this will be a kick-butt site for performance/aesthetic modes (the library is a great idea), and for MINI's in general!

2. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    When registering here I thought about taking the name Palo Uber just for fun but figured it might start controversies with people not realizing I have nothing to do with them.
    I hope Mynes and RMW come over, they have plenty to contribute to the community and while they butt heads with each other, this is a new site with new rules and new management (even if it's some of the same people, it's a clean slate).

3. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I'm expecting this site to be like a huge version of MetroplexMINI.org regarding manners and behavior of the people here: trolls and flamers get ejected immediately, spammers get axed, no exceptions for anyone, and everyone plays nice. A civil society, if you will.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The beauty of MM.org is we all know each other for the most part. That same intimacy, if you will, is hard to keep in a site that has a very wide membership roll as, of course, is my goal.

Flamers and Trolls will be dealt with, I have henchmen for that, but, lets face it, emotions sometimes get the best of us and the anonymity of an online forum brings out some of the worst in people.

This was sent to me today It Takes a Village Idiot: The Jerks of Online Forums - MSN Tech & Gadgets - Slide Shows - Products - 1

It's rather funny if the small text doesn't drive you mad first.

5. SK8BRD

SK8BRD New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

You SEMA guys seem to have the same kind of community. Like Nathan said, the very real possibility of having to actually meet someone face to face goes a long way to keeping a board civil. Maybe a national meeting of this board would help that?

6. TexasChiliS

TexasChiliS Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Nice site Nathan, it will be interesting to see this sight grow outside the MM group.

7. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Although I'm sure AMVIV and MOTD are the two major events that fall into this category, I'm all for another event, perhaps one in the summer when I can travel more easily and with a shifting location from year to year so that if someone can't make it one year it may be closer to them a different year? (I guess that's what MINI Takes the States is, nevermind. :D )

8. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    We can be rest assured that there will be controversy here, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It all boils down to good, fair, and consistent moderation with quick ejection of redicu-flamer, trolls, spammers, and general cybernogoodniks. It seems that Nathan has a good handle on the moderation going in, which is key. I'm excited about the spectre of a fresh site--my finger is hovering over the delete account button elsewhere...

9. Bimmer Lite

Bimmer Lite New Member

May 5, 2009
    English/Journalism teacher and writer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hmmmm... national meeting, shifting location... sounds like the BMW CCA's Octoberfest!:Thumbsup:

MINI takes the states is run by MINI USA, no? I don't see that and what you're proposing as the same thing really.

Totally agreed on the time (summer works for me) and the rotating location. I can't imagine being able to do Vegas, the Dragon or the Colorado gathering any time in the near future.

- Marc

10. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    A rotating date, with an option for a track day thrown in would be great...The problem with BMW CCA is that although we're made more than welcome, we're still kind of the ugly step sisters. I see the same 2-3 MINI owners regularly via our chapter of the BMWCCA; it's just not a huge draw for MINI owners. Not knocking it, I have a blast with our chapter, but it's light on MINI's.

But something with MVP tracktime, or even BMWCCA, or any of the other organizations would be way cool--could have a meeting open to all at a place where there was a track day; that way best of both worlds--socialize with the non-track crowd, then have the option to run if we want...

To set up an independent event with a track day would be damned near impossible--but latching onto an organization such as MVP or BMWCCA for the track, and something independent for the entire MINI crowd at the same sight (or near the track) for everyone else to come and hang out would be a definite possiblility...

11. Bimmer Lite

Bimmer Lite New Member

May 5, 2009
    English/Journalism teacher and writer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I agree about the ugly step sister thing, but I also think we make ourselves the ugly step sisters, too. Bottom line for me is that the population of people who come to MINI from BMW for that reason must not be too vast, otherwise the CCA would be teeming with MINI enthusiasts.

It's still a novelty for me to see other MINIs at the track at CCA days. The good part about that is we always end up friends.

But back to this place: I see no reason why we couldn't latch onto Octoberfest or any CCA track event/weekend to organize our own thing...

Nathan had a great idea for those familiar with the CCA: a MINI SIG (Special Interest Group). As a matter of fact, this site could be the beginning of it...

Anyway, I really like discussing this stuff and trying to figure out the best way to focus national MINI enthusiasm. Jim McDowell (pres. of MINI USA) said to me that he appreciates the MINI community as is, with small-scale, local organizations and that he's not sure a national organization would work or even fit the MINI community well...

- Marc

12. paulsminis

paulsminis New Member

May 5, 2009
    Contractor to the Government
    Dayton, Ohio area
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    A national sort of event, held in the summer, sounds pretty much like what has been happening with the Classic Mini crowd for several decades now. It is hosted by local clubs and there is a Mini Meet West and a Mini Meet East every year, with every five years a joint meeting somewhere in the middle (the "middle" in the past has been Denver, Nebraska, Illinois and this year, Minnesota). The events have turned to where being with friends is probably more important than the cars. Events that happen at almost all of these gatherings are autocross, show and shine, rally, and lots of time with people.

I am not necessarily advocating this, but it is something has worked in the Classic Community for a long time.

Food for thought!

Paul