2nd Gen Coupe Yellow Fogs?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by bruce.buckman1, Mar 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. bruce.buckman1

bruce.buckman1 New Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Graduate student- doctoral physical therapy
    New Jersey
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So i want to throw on some yellow fog lights and i looked around at other models but I'm not sure if the light bulbs are all the same. does anyone know what bulbs are used in the coupe, or how i go about finding this information out?

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  3. KenWarren

KenWarren New Member

Feb 23, 2012
    BI consultant
    SE Pennsylvania
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The fogs are probably halogens, but (not having my Coupé yet) I don't know the specific bulb. Your owner's manual should list the specific bulb required, though.

After you have that information, go looking for bulbs that produce "selective yellow" light (light with blue and violet subtracted). Expect some sticker shock. :)

A reasonable option would be a selective yellow film applied over the lens, if you can find such a thing.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Yes H8 are what you need. You can pay a heck of a lot or a little. I chose to pay a little. I'll let you know in a day or so if I like them. Not installed yet, but will be soon.

5. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure this will work with your application... I put the Nokya Hyper Yellow, Pro Halogen - H11 bulbs on my '05 R53. They work very nicely and are rated at 2500k_55w.

Hope this helps you out.

6. bruce.buckman1

bruce.buckman1 New Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Graduate student- doctoral physical therapy
    New Jersey
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    re

yes, let me know what you think!

Thank you; and thank you to everyone else as well

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Mine are the H8 PIAA plasma ion yellows. Got them from Aaron at Outmotoring. Real happy with them.....:D

8. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Bruce I'm quite happy with the Nokya yellow H8 bulbs.:D They look great & only cost me $20 shipped from fleaBay. I recommend them.

9. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
  10. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    #10 SMOG, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    I used Hella 500 Fog Lamps w/Laminx film over them, PLUS I used the Nokya Hyper Yellow H8 for the OEM Fogs and the Nokya Hyper Yellow 194 bulbs in the Parking/city lamps

Nokya & Hella Fog Lamp

The Nokya's are an easy install and throw no codes.

You might have difficulty putting a Lamin-x film over the convex surface of the OEM Fogs.

Attached Files:

11. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Nice looking MINI SMOG.

I also went with amber parking light bulbs. I was unaware that there was such a thing as Nokya Hyper yellow 194 bulbs. I installed Sylvania parking lights. Like you I have no codes.

I have laminex film for the lights & those fogs look like a pain to do.

Redbeard do you have any tips for installing the laminex on the fog lens?

12. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! SMOG-2 has the light treatment and SMOG-1 is awaiting a decision a from a higher authority, my wife, since it is her car.

The biggest pain was getting the wiring to the Hella 500 Fogs through the firewall. If the cover under the windshield wipers is removed then it is easy but I have small hands and imagination and got it through with poking a hard wire with the electrical wire attached through the rubber boot that separates the engine bay from the cabin (where the OEM wires run).

Redbeard: Doing that curved OEM lens might be tricky. I am all ears on how that was done. If someone has done it please explain:smile5: I want to try it on SMOG-1

BTW, the yellow does help in heavy fog!

13. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    It's actually not that bad. The very domed fog-light housing can be a bit daunting though. Two things will make it much better:

1) Install when it's warm outside. Lamin-x is like rubber. If it gets cold it gets hard and becomes difficult to work with. In the case of the very domed fog lamps a hair dryer or heat gun will help soften the Lamin-x further allowing to to stretch and conform to the shape better.

2)Use water. The adhesive isn't affected by water so you can use it to get the Lamin-x on then use a credit card or similar to push the water and bubbles out. The water will also allow you to move the Lamin-x around of it isn't quite centered.

14. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Lamin-X is what I used on the Hella 500 Fogs and it was indeed easy to install.

I use heat guns and hair dryers to get plastic and nylon to to conform to weird shapes and I would try it on those domed lamps. SMOG-1 needs the Yellow Treatment because not only is yellow better lighting in FOG but during times of no fog other drivers seem to see it more readily and will hesitate before pulling in front of you.