R53 in Limp Mode? What NOW for Goodness Sake...

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Saabmanbof, Sep 26, 2023.

1. Saabmanbof

Saabmanbof Member

Sep 7, 2023
    Male
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    The car is an '05 facelift Cooper S. If you've seen my other threads, you'll know I've been having cooling system problems, but I think that's sorted now.

All I did was the dismantling and reassembly needed to replace the thermostat. Job done, started the car.

WTF is the b****y thing doing NOW? It won't idle cold below about 1200 rpm without a fair bit of throttle, and when it's up to temp it idles at about 800 rpm with a regular misfire. EML is on. Once it's warmed up and rolling, it feels normal up to 10 mph, but won't go any faster.

My iCarsoft is generic for BMWs, but I get code P1229 (no decode) , and two other fault codes: Throttle Pedal Positon Sensor /Switch A Circuit High, and Throttle Pedal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit Low. Both faults are both pending and current.

I'd think the cause is almost certain to be related to what I did, maybe with the main ECU, which of course I had to disturb to get the airbox out to get to the thermostat. I blew any dust on the contacts away with an air line before reconnecting, and I can disconnect it again and go mad with the contact cleaner tomorrow, but is there anything else I should be looking at as well?

How long do I need to disconnect the battery for to do a hard reset?

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I have heard 30 min but I have also heard that discounting the battery does not reset anything. You could leave it disconnected over night. I am more inclined to think it is something you did, sorry. Make sure everything is plugged in properly and no hoses or connectors are broken. Take your time doing this to make sure you have not missed it a second time.

P1229 Throttle Position Sensor adaptation error
    sounds like all the codes have to do with the throttle. I would start by checking around the throttle body.

this page may be helpful for codes.
    https://www.motoringalliance.com/articles/1st-generation-mini-ecu-codes-chart.48/

I spent a month on one of my cars only to find I had dislodged one of the pens on the ECU. I had checked it more than once, I had decided it was a bad sensor but no it was me after all. I got to hear I told you so from the wife. Crow does not taste good.:D

let us know what you find tomorrow

3. Saabmanbof

Saabmanbof Member

Sep 7, 2023
    Male
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that. Does the EML reset itself after the problem is solved, or does it need to be reset with a MINI-specific code reader, do you know?

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    You may have to reset it with your code reader. It shouldn’t take a Mini reader.

5. Saabmanbof

Saabmanbof Member

Sep 7, 2023
    Male
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Talk about the bleedin' obvious...

The throttle position sensor had somehow become disconnected. DOH!!!

Sorted, thank every derity I can think of. I still have the EML, though, but I presume that will clear once I start driving the car.

6. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,027 / 6 / -5
    If’n only all our car problems were so easy to find and correct. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Great to hear. Let me know if it self clears.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Saabmanbof

Saabmanbof Member

Sep 7, 2023
    Male
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Indeed it did, and all's well.

9. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member