Sir Reginald Stewart Rover - "Reggie"
- Reggie is a Rover launched as what was known as the Mini Sidewalk in the UK and was priced at £5,898 in the UK market ($9,243 in USD), for which some 1,000 were made. The Sidewalk was a special limited edition based on the Sprite, which meant it kept such features as steel wheels and non-opening rear three-quarter windows. Three colours were offered in the UK: Charcoal Metallic, Kingfisher Blue or White Diamond. Sidewalk decals were the only distinguishing feature on the exterior, but inside were red seat belts and extraordinary blue and red Tartan seats and trim. When exported to Japan, the Mini was rebranded as the "Tartan and came in at least two additional colours, Nightfire Red and British Racing Green and the wheels were changed to the spoked wheels. In addition the seats became green and red tartan. The badging consisted of a Scottish Bagpipe Player with the word "Tartan" Limited Edition below. No records seem to exist to denote the number of Tartans exported to Japan. Both the Sidewalk and the Tartan were build for one year only.
The Japanese version, and perhaps others exported to other countries, offered Air Conditioning and an automatic transmission of which Sir Reginald has both. He also features Right Hand drive.
Reggie needed a bit of pampering (extensive spa treatment) and so we trailered him home until such time as he could be throughly evaluated. He is in superior condition but needed "hands on attention" to ensure that he was ship-shape and ready to hit the roads. He had not been driven much in the last two years by his previous owner. We had his transmission rebuilt and a few other mechanical items addressed. He is now driving like a dream and very happy to be on the road again.
- Ice Mods:
- Electronic tune 3-band stereo radio/cassette player came as original equipment, Reggie however has a Kenwood AM/FM radio/CD player.
The little "box" on the dash is for plugs-ins such as GPS items. It was "glued" with double stick tape to the dash and we finally removed it and mounted it below the dash. There was concern initally that the dash might be damaged if we tried to remove it.
While Reggie has an ashtray he has no cigarette lighter.
- Sidewalk/Tartan Package - unique decal treatment
- Exterior Mods:
- Exterior appears to be stock with the exception of a possible change to the tailpipe. Vehicle exhibits several window stickers which acknowledge his initial life somewhere in Japan.
Locking fuel filler cap; twin door mirrors; chrome bumpers, door and boot handles; chrome effect grille.
- Interior Mods:
- Custom designed Red/Green Tartan Seats with green trim. Red seat belts add a bold contrast to the interior. Twin sun visors with passenger's vanity mirror; upholstered front seat head restraints; fresh air heater/demister with face level air vents; reclining, tilting front seats;3-spoke soft feel steering wheel; fascia mounted ashtray; Green and Red Tartan trimmed door panels with twin door bins; internal bonnet release.
- Drivetrain Mods:
- 4 cylinder, transverse, OHV, 1275cc, 53PS (EEC) @ 5000 RPM with electronic single-point fuel injection and 3-way controlled catalyst. Automatic transmission and rack and pinion steering. Servo-assisted, dual circuit system brakes, discs front and drums rear.
- Suspension Mods:
- All independent, rubber springs and telescopic dampers.
- Wheels and Tires:
- 12" wheels with 145/70 x 12 low profile radial ply tyres. The car also features black wheel arch extensions.
- Year (Legacy):
- Make (Legacy):
- Rover Mini
- Model (Legacy):
- Limited Edition Tartan
- Color (Legacy):
- Nightfire Red