Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Öhlins coilovers - for MINI

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by theCapn, Jun 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. theCapn

theCapn New Member

May 13, 2009
    Upstate, SC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    #21 theCapn, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
    I have not gotten on any slalom type area (actual cones, etc), but I have done the "tire cleaning move" at about 30-35mph (on flat road), and it feels ok there. Fairly neutral, but quick to react.

But, to answer your question, yes it's more mid-turn. After entering the turn, and committing to a line, it feels as if the front is stuck and the rear is saying ok, i'm not able to hold the line. I know rotation is good, but not when you've got a cement curb at the edge of the road that is eye-ing your rear wheel. :D

This has happened after increasing the neg camber in the front, from -1-ish to -1.5. I re-aligned after doing the pre-load mentioned above. Rear dropped from -1.3 to -1.1. After gathering lots and lots and lots of different setup info from various people and their driving scenarios, this what I settled on. However, there was not a lot of mention of what rsb was mixed in with the various setups.

I'm guessing that the I may be putting too much effort into the front and am having to back off a little now, because of the extra front bite.?.?

2. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I had oversteer on my MINI through hard turns (PSS9's and 19mm rear bar with alignment set for quick turn-in). I was apprehensive about it on the street but once I got to auto-x, it was quite nice and easily controlled. As soon as the back-end started to move, let off the gas or a steering correction was all that was needed. It never 'scared' me. I'd say keep the rear bar softer. I had a 22mm and thought the car didn't communicate as well.

3. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    this is the perfect recipe for a spin! get ON the gas if the back end starts to come around. trust me on this one.

4. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, sounds like you could back the 22mm bar off a hole or two. More rear camber would help, too, although the rear doesn't have as much camber gain.

5. theCapn

theCapn New Member

May 13, 2009
    Upstate, SC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    .........snip...........
    back the 22mm bar off a hole or two.
    ................snip............

As stated above, I am in the softest hole on a 22mm. Can't get any softer.

After going a club drive this weekend, I was able to get more accustomed to this setup. It still def. has over-steer, but not as bad as I first thought.

As soon as I can save up the $$, I am going to step down to the 20mm Whiteline rsb.

The car has incredible grip now, I just need to get my driving back up to where the car is. I will be so glad when I get everything "somewhat finished" and I can feel more comfortable behind the wheel.

Thanks everyone for the help.

6. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    trust me on how my car handled? nope, no need. I never spun my car...no matter what I did. helps that I had excellent tires that communicated grip very well and had progressive qualities

7. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    congratulations on defying the laws of vehicle dynamics.

8. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    perhaps you just can't drive?

9. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    I hate to break it to you PGT, but with a front drive car letting off the gas mid-corner will induce oversteer since you're unloading the rear axle. You may have had an unorthodox alignment to create your situation, but typically, lifting mid-corner = more oversteer. If you add throttle you will reduce oversteer by pulling the car forward.

10. Chase

Chase New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    true true.