Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S 05 MCS fuel cutting out???

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by panaphobic, Sep 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. panaphobic

panaphobic Club Coordinator

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    It always seems to be 1 thing after another! I noticed about a week ago that my MINI sounded a little weird when I was accelerating, but now it's getting bad! It sounds like the fuel is cutting out or something. I have a few basic mods(15% pulley, CAI, plugs, wires, coil pack) and now I have another issue here. I replaced the pulley belt recently, and it sounded much better (the old one was starting to slip). But now it is making a different sound. It sounds like it's basically not getting any fuel or something. I hope this isn't a symptom of the S/C going bad . Anyways, I've tried to video tape it but you can't really hear it. I only have 1 video of it that you can kinda hear it, and it's only 1 "sputter". Sometimes it's not really noticeable and then you have some that are really noticeable, like the one in the video. It's about 8 seconds in, I was WOT and about 4500rpm's when you can hear it. It just sounds like it cuts out for a second. I have 117k miles and I put the new upgraded parts in at about ~95k miles. There also are no codes being thrown, even if I floor it to 130mph from 80mph, with it doing it the whole time.

***I added an annotation that pops up briefly right when the sound is noticable (or lack of sound I should say)***

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbqXBqMzMt0]YouTube - 2005 MINI Cooper S fuel cutting out[/ame]

I seriously doubt it's the belt, I had recently changed it since my old one was starting to squeak on cold starts. It sounded much smoother after that. I did notice this happened 1 time before right before I changed the belt too. Didn't think to much of it since it only made the sound once. Thought it was from the belt and I was on my way to replace it when it happened, then it went away for a few weeks and now it's back and becoming worse/more noticeable. It's not even like it's sputtering or anything, as I haven't noticed my MINI bucking. It's more or less the sound of the S/C that I notice. I know it's very hard to tell in the video. There's a lot of distortion in there but you can hear it cut out. I assume it has something to do with the fuel. Maybe the injectors? I am going to be getting a new fuel filter probably next week, hoping that'll fix it. I'll be cleaning out the air filter this weekend when I install my new suspension.

Anyways, any ideas out there? Anyone else have similar symptoms? I just hope it's not the S/C going........

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to guess it is the "lifetime" fuel filter.

3. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    That what I was thinking too Nathan. I'm definitely going to change it out even if something else is the problem. I saw a write up on how to do it and I saw the picture of the old filter, new filter, and an old oil filter for comparison. The fuel filter was just as dark as the oil filter! Lifetime part my @ss!!! :incazzato:

4. SooperCooperInfo

May 31, 2009
    Retired aircraft salesman
    Land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Here's a fuel filter [ame="http://www.lonestarminiclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4062#post4062"]DIY[/ame] wth pics that may further assist you. Good luck.

5. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    i would start with the filter then the pump and pressure regulator

6. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    The fuel filter won't hurt anything, we sell alot of them.
    Fuel Filter OEM R50/R53/R52 - Way Motor Works

As for the pressure regulator, that would the first one I've ever seen break on a MINI. I've got some used ones if you end up wanting one.

7. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    #7 panaphobic, Sep 26, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
    Well, I'll be ordering a new filter from you sometime this week Way. I don't think this is the root of the problem anymore. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the BPV. I've noticed it's getting worse/more noticeable now. I notice it the most when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I don't even have to give it full throttle and you can hear the S/C bog down and then bog a few more times as I'm accelerating. I'm thinking the BPV isn't closing all the way or opening and closing itself. I want to try rerouting the vacuum line from the BPV to after the S/C instead of before. I've seen a write up on how to do it. Seems pretty easy. I checked the pulleys this weekend and didn't notice anything loose or anything in bad shape. I took some more videos. The first one is when I shift from 1st to 2nd gear. The second video is when I'm cruising on the highway in 6th gear and give it gas. Sometimes is bogs down, sometimes it doesn't. You can clearly hear the "bogging" I'm talking about. And now it's being felt in the power of my MINI. I don't hear any other sounds or noises when this happens. The only thing you do hear is the S/C bogging down for a second. It seems very random, and not in any way some sort of pattern to it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8UWvHC7trI"]Video 1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fdxhY0rlR8"]Video 2[/ame]

8. cal330ci

cal330ci New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Automotive Technician
    Vancouver BC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Check the By Pass valve... very common this part seizing up and causing this problem

9. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    How would I go about checking the BPV? Just pull it out and see how well it's working?

10. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yeah

you can do that. Or you can wire tie it closed and drive and see if things get better. You'll drop a bit of gas mileage cause it won't open up (that reduces the drag on the accessory loop by allowing the SC to free-wheel, basically). But it won't be erratic.

Matt

11. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I took a closer look at the tensioner pulley today, and had someone rev it up a little while I was looking at it, sure enough, it was moving a lot. Guess I need to pick another one up.......

12. EvilMiniMe

EvilMiniMe New Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to bring back to life and ancient thread, but was this ever resolved? I have a similar issue and I think it's the Fuel Filter as I'm at 88K miles on the original. I have an "intake" and a 16% pulley and REALLY started noticing it after the pulley install this week?!

13. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Start with the easy stuff first. How old are the plug wires? If they are original change them out, no need for fancy high dollar ones oem or equivalent will do. Look at the coil pack terminals & clean them if needed. No need for a MSD coil or Screamin Demon pack.

Report back if this isn't it.

14. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Before you go on a spending spree, lemme share you my journey & hope one of those I did would sort it out for you.
    http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/cooper-s/14839-morning-hard-starts-now-1-3k-rpm-hesitation-yoyo-hiccup.html#axzz2u0pN8Ge6

Mine was a split in-tank fuel pump to fuel filter hose. This symptom is seldom mentioned but has been popping up lately due to our cars' age. It's no coincidence that when my friend's 03 had the same symptoms, he asked me & went straight to checking the pump hose.....voila, same splitting! Most simply replace the pump assembly. The hose isn't sold separately. If yours is diagnosed similarly, make sure to use a submersible fuel hose like the Gates 30R10.

15. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I was having similar issue. Did everything including fuel filter. On a whim I removed injectors and sent them for a rebuild, a lot of folks don't realize there are little filters in each of those injectors that can get plugged with crap over time. Problem gone. Inexpensive fix. This is who I used Mr Injector - Home