1st Gen R53 Cooper S 05 MCS need help... Headlight and A/C controls

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by nkymain485, Sep 1, 2013.

1. nkymain485

nkymain485 New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I recently installed the Aux cord kit in my Mini and installed it on the empty spots on my switches.... when i went to reinstall it for some reason my fog lights switch wouldn't light up so i took it back apart and had just the circuit board sitting out. Stupidly i went to plug the plug directly to the circuit board thinking i could see the fog indicator light light up. When i plugged it into the board i did it backward blowing a fuse i hope! Now the headlights wont light up and the ac controls wont come on. Running lights work find and most everything else seems fine. I have the xenon lights if that makes a difference. Anyone have any idea what fuse it might be? I checked everything on the interior fuse i thought might be it and couldn't find anything. The under hood fuses all look fine as well but i am not really sure how to tell if the 50a fuses are blown. They all look fine looking from the top. If anyone can help i would be truly grateful!

2. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    #2 minsanity, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    There's a Headlight fuse is in the engine bay. Check & recheck them all- interior & engine bay fuses. Let's pray you did not damage the BC1 aka Body Control Module. All the car's electronics are controlled by the BC1. Ours are unlike old school automotive electricals where every fused/relayed switch commands directly a motor, light, horn, etc. Evolution has taken us much closer to The Terminator age than we all realize. All switches go thru the BC1, which is programmable, then this artificial brain dictates the intended function to work. It is a $500 part that needs the dealership to program, & is found behind the RH footwell panel on the opposite side of the LH footwell fuse bank. This module is very delicate. Water is its known enemy. Handle w/ care.
    Good luck with your hunt. If you don't trust yourself, guess, you'd have to visit your preferred dealership.

3. nkymain485

nkymain485 New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do the big fuses that you can only get from mini control the Head lights? Anyway to test those out?

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^^ Yeah that sounds like BC 1 to me.

5. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    No headlights, yet you have DRLs functional unfortunately points to a damaged BC1. I could & hope to be wrong.
    We tried solving another X-File case of a friend's R50. Key off, headlights refuse to turn off & we're not talking follow-me-home lights. Remove headlight fuse in the engine bay & headlights finally remain off. Without same fuse, we turn on headlight switch= only left headlight & right tail come on. Car runs fine....Verdict? Wet & crystallized BC1. Had no luck w/ contact cleaning, nitro drying nor dehumidifying. BC1 on order, awaiting dealership response on item & programming cost. These are VIN-specific programming to restore every electronic function your MINI came off the factory with.