Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires 05 wheels on a late 06?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Boxcars, Jun 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Boxcars

Boxcars New Member

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just bought a new to me late 06 'mini s.
    Went to put my 17" Konig Feathers on and the bolt size switched to 14mm.
    Has anyone drilled out there 05 wheels to fit the bigger bolts?
    Any problems?
    Thanks in advance
    Boxcars

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I've never done this but I know it can be done. Your best best would to find a local machine shop. You want to make sure the larger holes are centered properly and have the right taper for the lug bolts.

3. AllPepperS

AllPepperS New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Dog Nanny
    Palm City, FL
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I have a Sept 06 build and just got some new Feathers to put on. Is this really the only way or does it matter when the wheels were made? Every place I checked for these wheels made no mention of the change in bolt size being a problem and I did know I had the larger ones. So I'm a dummy, I sure don't want to drill out new wheels :frown2:

Tracy

4. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    The size of the hole just depends on the wheel. Many wheels have holes large enough to fit the 14mm bolts.

Another option rather than drilling the wheel holes larger is to install 12mm studs that use nuts instead of lug bolts to hold the wheels. There are conversion kits that go from 14 to 12mm. Here is an example:
    M14 to M12 Stud Conversion kit - Way Motor Works

5. AllPepperS

AllPepperS New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Dog Nanny
    Palm City, FL
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Thx, I knew I had seen that as an option somewhere, yep at WAY. Sure beats drilling. Don't think I would want a 12mm spacer, since the I believe the backspace is 40 on the Feather. I Currently have the Web Spokes that are at 48.

I got these from Alta, there is nothing in their info that says they won't fit. In fact it says they are compatible with the 07 and up too.

Well, at least there is a WAY out, pun intended :cornut:

Tracy

6. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Not sure why you mentioned spacers, because stud conversion doesn't affect the wheel offset and has nothing to do with spacers. Instead of the OEM lug bolts, you would use a skinnier "bolt" (stud + nut combination).

Did you verify that your lugs won't fit on your new wheels? Remove one of your lug bolts and see if it can pass through the holes on the Konig.

7. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Note that the 40 offset actually pushes the wheel face AWAY from the car (in other words, adding a 8MM spacer to your old 48 offset wheels would make them a 40 offset).

Either way, spacers aren't the issue at all. The Way Studs have basically a "shoulder" on them, they thread into a 14mm hole but are a 12mm stud (stud is 12mm in diameter where the wheel mounts, but increases to 14mm in diameter where it threads into the hub).

Feathers are great. If it were me, and I don't have a machine shop that works for free, I'd get a HIGH QUALITY stud kit (ahem "Way" /ahem) instead of drilling. Studs are pretty cool as well.

8. AllPepperS

AllPepperS New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Dog Nanny
    Palm City, FL
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    rkw,
    sorry, I was thinking of another post involving 12mm spacers. I haven't had a chance to check mine, I won't be able to until Fri. Since the OP was talking about the exact same wheel I just bought, I was concerned since I am trying to get them put on Sat. If I needed another part, I may have to order it and delay the install. Alta assures me they will fit, they said they are drilled for them to accommodate both sizes.
    Thanks for another idea
    Tracy

9. Boxcars

Boxcars New Member

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies, and discussion.
    I went with drilling, at a local machine shop, $20 a wheel,
    Like quick mini said, some older wheels are already that size.
    The case with my 05 stock s-lite.
    Taper intact, torque checked a few times after weeks of driving,
    All is good and I am happy to be able to use my feathers,
    Boxcars

10. AllPepperS

AllPepperS New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Dog Nanny
    Palm City, FL
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for not posting up, but my Feathers from Alta fit my 06 no problem :Thumbsup: