2nd Gen R56 Cooper S 07 Mini S Front Hub Replacement

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Wisc07S, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Wisc07S

Wisc07S New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I need to replace the front right hub on my mini. Seems pretty straight forward and I have no issues getting the caliper, rotor, or axle nut off.

I am curious about what the best way to get to the four bolts out that hold the hub on as they bolt on from the back and the CV joint is in the way.

I'm looking for suggestions on what to take apart to get at the four bolts before I start taking apart the whole assembly!

I should mention the problem I'm trying to correct. I slid into a curb at about 10-15 mph and the front right wheel took all of the impact. Car stated making a noise when driving that sounds like you're driving over a grated metal bridge. Swaped in a different rim and tire and problem is still there. From what I read on line this is an indication of a bad bearing. Al other parts seem Ok, nothing in brake assembly rubbing on anything, all lines secure.

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: No help here but I'll 'bump' to keep you at the top of the list.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Remove the drive axle from the hub and then you'll have plenty of access.

4. Wisc07S

Wisc07S New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully I can disconnect the drive shaft without taking too much else apart?

5. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    You'll probably have to remove the steering tie rod from the knuckle if it won't pull out of the hub all the way. That's not a big deal. You'll also have to remove the strut from the knuckle and then the knuckle will be able to swing out of the way. Then, the only thing holding the knuckle anymore is the outer ball joint. Lots of freedom for movement now.

Soak the tie rod nut with pb blaster for a while, blast the nut off with an impact, and use a big hammer to bang on the knuckle where the tie rod end passes through. This is what I did to mine when I needed to drop my front sub-frame.

If you don't have an impact I am a fan of the "Polish impact." Put the closed end of a wrench over the nut/bolt you're working on and use a big hammer to bang on the other end of the wrench.

6. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    A gear puller can help push the axle out of the hub if it's stuck. When reinserting, coat the splines (but not the axle nut threads) with anti-seize. Replace the axle nut and remember to stake it to the axle.

7. Wisc07S

Wisc07S New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Easy Fix

I replaced the right front yesterday and it took less than an hour. After doing it one time it will probably take less than 30 minutes.

1. removed the 32mm hub nut while the car was still on the ground (note: purchased 32mm impact socket with life time warranty at harbor freight for $4.99).

2. removed brake caliper & rotor.

Initially I thought I wouldn't be able to access the two bolts on top with further disassembly. However, turning the the wheel all the way to the right and then left for the other side gives enough room to access all bolts with just an extenstion and socket-did not have to use a u-joint.

3. Before placing the new hub in the correct position I found it easiest to put the two top bolts back in and screwed them in by hand as I guided the new hub in place.

4. Put the hub nut back on and torqued to 134 ft/lbs. I see no issue in reusing the old nut as long as you take care in removing it.

5. resassembled everything and torqued the hub bolt a second time after the car was on the ground.

Drove the car and no more noise!