+155 / 0 / -0
    Very interested. PM sent.

2. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0

One day? C'mon, there's a good story their somewhere, you have to share it...:lol:

3. scott@txwerks

scott@txwerks New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    SOLD!

Yes, one day's use on the street...

Let's just say that a self-professed 'obsessive-compulsive' (clue #1 to avoid doing business with this person) client determined that they didn't like the way the brakes 'sounded, looked, or felt'. Eh? To the point that this person actually took the car to the local MINI dealership to have them 'check it out', utterly convinced that we, the engineers of the product and dedicated grease monkies, had mis-installed the kit or that something was very wrong with the brakes... This person was also completely convinced that he was, in fact, likely to die and refused to let his wife or offspring ride in the MINI. He drove to the dealership on back roads, hazards on, literally thinking that he could/would die at any moment.

Was there something wrong with the brakes? Nope. Of course not. All was well - in fact, the dealership was quite impressed with the fit and finish. And, it stopped like a, well, dirty mother f___ (you can fill in the rest, but there's a reason our BBK's have 'dirty mother' in their names).

Still, this person then decides to have the dealership re-install his OEM R56 brakes - on his dime - to the tune of some $400. We would have done it for free, really, just to avoid any odd fallout. And besides, we could have done it in 30 minutes. I have no idea why the dealership bent him over so badly, but they brought the BBK over and we promptly refunded the purchase price. Why someone would pay $999 for a BBK (installed for free, too), decide they didn't 'like it', get that refunded, but eat $400 to have their OEM brakes re-installed is beyond me - seems totally illogical, doesn't it?

So, that's why we had a 1 day old BBK sitting around. This person has since called back to inquire about other items, and we have refused, politely, to do ANY further work or sell our parts.

I tell you, things are getting weirder for vendors now that the first gen MINI's are getting into the hands of 2nd and 3rd owner and since the R56 has been released and selling well. It seems like the 'fringe' of society is now getting used MINIs - and they have some very odd ideas and behaviors - and some non-performance oriented buyers have bought R56's or R55's. We bust our butts to always sell the best stuff, make sure it's right, make sure people are happy, bend over backwards to help people, etc. - and yet this year, this has become harder and harder to maintain. Lately, some people just don't seem to be happy no matter what you do, and I think it has to do with a changing customer base. I can tell you for a fact that our customer service is better than most in leaps and bounds, and we go way, way beyond what others would do. Lately, that has been tested to the point of us losing our sanity at times. :) I have literally been completely and utterly at a loss for words a few times this year, wanting to say, "You should be hit in the head with a tack hammer" and left it at that. Of course, we don't do that - and we've eaten a lot of shipping, parts, etc. to maintain our level of customer service and integrity.

I can tell you one thing - some of the new generation of MINI owners sure have some wacky ideas about how the MINI should ride, handle, perform, you name it.

4. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I just want red calipers. Is that wacky?

:lol:

GREAT story, BTW.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Now that the story is out there...

In an effort to try and appease a portion of this fringe element I was asked to try out a spring that lived over the cotter pin that holds the pads in place. The thought being the spring would keep the pad from the very slight chattering sound the pads sometimes make in a setup such as this.

The springs installed I about killed myself at the first light. Mind you, this is a lightweight stainless steel spring. The extra effort was small, but after 1000's of miles with the brakes the pedal had a really different feel. I hated it, the finesse-ability was GONE. But in true beta tester masochistic form I lived with this. Then did a track session. Ehhh no, the springs had to go.

In my final report I called these things poseur springs. Perfect for the person that wanted a look of a BBK but didn't care about the functionality.

6. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Do the springs come in RED?

7. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I knew there was a story in there somewhere...

IMHO, it's a mistake not to sell that dude anything more, the entertainment value is priceless......

Mike, on the other hand, I've seen vendors make some pretty outrageous statements about aftermarket stuff; (not you guys though, you and Jeff are one of the few vendors I trust implicitly); but you'd be amazed at what your engine damper is capable of, for example; it does some things apparently I doubt you know about, according to one vendor who carries it.

8. scott@txwerks

scott@txwerks New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We take no responsibility for what our vendors state... :)

9. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Dude, you don't know what you're talking about. That engine damper could save the earth if a big asteroid were headed our way. Just ask Bruce Willis.

10. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    For a select few individuals I have been inspired to suggest a TSW product as a suppository. Discretion prevented me from vocalizing my epiphany.

11. scott@txwerks

scott@txwerks New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Whoa, Dr. Mike - you've gone completely eloquent on our collective arseseseses?!? :)

12. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    The thought of that in relation to the cross brace literally made me cringe.

13. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0

And here I thought it only cured the common cold, fixed hemorrhoids (maybe I confused this with the previously mentioned asteroid?), and contributed to one's overall sense of well being, while at the same time substantially increasing the MINI's available HP....Silly me....:D

Fortunately I just bought it to tighten up the engine in the engine bay; who knew it could do all that other stuff?

Yeah Mike, I know there is no way you can be responsible for what vendors may claim about your products; hell, you can't even be responsible for what customers claim (and I heard a great one about the TSW brace at a tuning party, which eventually I plan on purchasing, which I won't repeat). Suffice it to say that many people are buying things for the wrong reasons...

It's why I always try to get info from you or Jeff before I buy something, being a relative newbie when it comes to these things....

14. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    #15 old81, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
    Ahem! Only the facts, please. I like my TSW R56 springs, they do the job on the track I wanted them to do. :arf:

Off to look at something at the TSW website. :aureola:

Nice story, glad it was not me. :crazy:

Don

15. FUEGO

FUEGO Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    IT Geek
    DFW Texas
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    As for the original topic of the MDM - I got the first one since the BDM wouldn't fit under my AX-only Rota Slipstreams in 16x7 +45. Well more accurately they did fit with about 1mm of clearance from the back of the spoke to the edge of the calipers. That was just too close for my comfort as any flexing in the wheels on hard cornering could have had some bad results.

The MDM kit fits just fine although I had to relocate the stick-on wheel weights to keep them from rubbing against the calipers. It fits with a ton of clearance under my 17x7 OZ Ultraleggera +37 track-only set, and my 17x7 +45 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.0 street wheels . The MDM with the Raybestos ST-43 pads are a fantastic combination on the track and I've never suffered from brake fade in the Texas heat. If you can get them under your wheels I highly recommend them!!