[​IMG]

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    People used to buy MINI because they were unique looking and FUN to drive.
    Remember "Go Cart handling", yeah that's what every 1st Gen has in spades.

We did not care about MPG or Techie crap like Bluetooth and BMW oops MINI connect and interior mood lighting.

We knew it was a great drivers car and the build quality was "meh" and that meant maintenance, lots of maintenance, but the cars are lots of FUN to drive and still are unique.

Do I give a rats A$$ about Consumer Reports or JD Powers, nope and that's why I own a well maintained unique 2005 MINI and not a Toyota Camry.

People that have a passion for cars should never be confused with people that base decisions on Consumer Reports or JD Powers.

3. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    #2 wmwny, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    Those guys live in a bubble. When are they ever going to look at REAL cars and reality? Of course things happen...bad things, but that does not make a car bad. Take care of a car correctly and it WILL last. I have 3 MINIs...all Generation 1...an R50CVT and 2 MCSas. None are going anywhere soon. Two are daily drivers and the other is only driven for recreation. All are between 9 and 12 years old.

4. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    That'll buff right out.

We really need an emoticon for that...

5. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Dumb a?? probably had it on the lift just fine, till he dropped the engine and all out of it and then it tilted back. Probably happened in slow motion while the guy is freaking out knowing what is going to happen but can't do anything but watch!!! Wish that was a video...

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I would never buy a MINI for it's reliability. CR is heavily weighted towards that, and it's the major reason it scores low. CR has it's place--it's for people who aren't car fanatics who's priorities are different than 99.8% of us on these boards.

As for car falling off lifts--this has happened on more than one Lotus--there are 6 lift points, you're only supposed to use the back 4 if lifting the entire car. Problem is the back two are difficult to get at if the car is stock, so places go the easy route and use the front 4, the car becomes a teeter totter and winds up like Dave's pic.

7. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Let's see...
    Cars that are driven by young folks that tend to have turbo's, then sold after a couple months break?!
    Stop the presses!!!
    Then again....
    Anybody have a spare timing chain or some walnuts?!
    My car, a gen1 has been reliable enough to start scaring me that it is due for some $$, but then again, I drive it responsibility, and just push it on ocassion...I don't "race" around town all day like some folks.....do that and ANY CAR will die fast....

8. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    True Delta provides better data on cars than CR. As in any gathering of statistical data you have to look at the source of the population. Only CR subscribers.