1st Gen 100K+ 100k starter issue

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by smokintires, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Joker

Joker New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Automotive Euro Tech. TIS
    Phoenix,Arizona
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    BMW uses, believe it or not , mitsubishi starters and my r55 is equippec with one. Per your post it seems that the solenoid is clicking but do you feel the engine trying to be turned by the starter? If yes , go under the car and it should be onthe upper right corner of the tranny and spray it with wd40 then try again. If it is still not working get a hammer ask someone to crank while your banging on it, im not talking about tapping or demolishing but hammering with force, this works when the armature is coated with gunk , oil and dust so it sticks.id say 40 % of the starter problems i get here at the shop are solved with the hammer. If nothing while asking your helper to switch the ignition to start position feel the positive cable if it gets hot immediately , replace starte

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I'm guessing you are correct. Any time you have a starter problem always check that all connections are good and tight. This has bit me more than once. My daughters car worked for a long time, then she told me it wouldn't start. It was a lose battery cable.
    I'm glad we could help.