Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires 14 to 12mm Stud Conversion HELP

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Redbeard, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Hey all. I picked up some 14mm to 12mm lug stud conversions for my MCS. I was told the torque spec on the stud themselves is 9 ft/lbs along with locktite. Is that correct and what should I torque my lugs to on the studs for running track events? :confused5:

2. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Yes, that's correct. The red loctite does most of the work. 9 ft/lbs is basically hand tight. Red loctite will not come loose without heat.

As such, make sure the hub threads are very clean and dry. When I installed my studs, I removed the calipers and rotors and scrubbed the holes with both a brass and nylon brush, along with a few sprays of brake cleaner. Paper towel to dry, and wait a few minutes for any leftover brake cleaner to evaporate. Then apply a bead all the way around the first couple threads on the stud. Thread it in, out, and back in again to coat all the threads, and tighten to spec. The more time you can give the loctite to cure, the better. It sets in 10 minutes and cures fully in 24 hours.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/T_LKR_RED_tds.pdf

3. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I'm gonna go on a limb here and say thread is answered and closed

Ben is in the house!:Thumbsup:

4. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    What do you torque the lug nuts to after the studs are set?

5. YesIFit

YesIFit New Member

May 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I always ran 88 ft/lbs on my 14mm TSW studs ...

6. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I don't know. That's a good question.

The torque you apply to the nut stretches the bolt and creates a tension that clamps the wheel to the hub. Static friction created by this tension holds the car up, so you have to create enough tension in the bolt to create adequate static friction. The torque basically measures how much you're stretching the bolt, but you need more force for bigger bolts. It's 120 N-m for 12mm bolts and 140 N-m for 14mm bolts, but I don't know which one you'd use for 12-14 conversion kits. Call Way at WMW or one of the other guys that sells those kits, they'd know.

7. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Very helpful. Told me it was 8ft/lbs for the studs with red locktite. Then he torques the lugs to 80 ft/lbs. He also said to be careful at the track with them. After they cool down between sessions to check the lugs & studs. We'll see.

I'm questioning running the studs now. I really don't want a wheel coming off mid session... :(

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Been running studs on track since the first track day with the MINI, never an issue. Always check torque before the next session. Torque mine to 83 ft/lbs

9. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Trust the red loctite. It's powerful stuff. 8 ft-lbs is nothing - hand tight is usually about 20 ft-lbs - but I've seen that spec several times, so it's not like somebody's making that number up.

I've heard way more stories of bolts coming loose on the track than nuts. And everyone that loosened a bolt switched to studs successfully.

Sounds like you torque the studs according to the 12mm recommendation, which makes sense if the majority of the stud shaft is 12mm in diameter.

10. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Just check em when your at the track you'll be fine. Plus you'll get warning before the wheel just comes off. They don't just all of a sudden fly off, you'll get alot of vibration first.

11. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Thank you (or whomever answered my question @ WMW) for the helpful advice. :Thumbsup: From your post I take it you've had them come off before... LOL :D

Your comments are reassuring. I feel better about runing them now. The plan is to get the Mini up on jacks Friday night pull the wheels off put in all of the studs with the locktite (according to BThayer23's instructions) and let them cure overnight then mount the wheels the next day around mid-afternoon.

Thanks again to everyone. :cornut:

12. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    A friend was vintage racing an MGA with wire wheels. He was rounding a corner and a wire wheel shot past him, he thought, "Some poor s.o.b. just lost a wheel!" As he came into the straight, his inside rear of the car came crashing down. Turned out he was the "poor s.o.b." lol

He had accidentally put a left side splined hub and knock off on the right rear side of the car, the knock off undid itself and the wheel flew off.

So, it can happen suddenly, but probably not with modern cars.

Dave

13. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I have the TSW M14 studs and their instructions was what you did with the lock tight and the nuts go on at 84 ft lbs. Been running them for almost two years.

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Then some jackass posts this.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv4m41viy4I]YouTube - RX7 wheels fall off[/ame]

15. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    #15 TGS91, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011
    Betcha Redbeard etal won't forget their torque wrenches when they are packing up for the next HPDE/AutoX! :D

16. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

17. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  18. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Lol. I've seen that many times before. Believe it or not, I was chief tech inspector for the Las Vegas Region SCCA for AutoX. We used to reference that video to remind guys/gals that swapped wheels for the event to double check thier lugs. From what I understand of that vid they guy swapped wheels then never actually torqued his lugs on. I don't know how much I believe the vid wasn't staged (although I wouldn't do that to a turbo RX-7 :eek6:) but there you go.

And I ALWAYS have a torque wrench and other tools handy at track events and autox'es. :Thumbsup:

19. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I cannot find the instructions but I recall torquing to 15 or 18 ft lb using red loctite. I torque the nuts to 84 ft lbs. No problem after many wheel removal and installs plus a few Auto-Xs.

20. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Studs set in rears last night. I'll set the fronts tonight and remount wheels Saturday afternoon.

Thanks for everyone's help.