Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S 15% vs 17% Pulley

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by goaljnky, Jul 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
  2. mdbsat

mdbsat New Member

May 7, 2009
    Finance
    San Antonio
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    TOO FUNNY! :lol:

3. Bimmer Lite

Bimmer Lite New Member

May 5, 2009
    English/Journalism teacher and writer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I hate you. But in a good way. :D

4. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to drop in late...

one thing to keep in mind is that the efficiency curve of the SC is related to both RPM and pressure ratio. So if you have a head and/or a cam that helps the engine breath better (heck, even a header can drop peak boost because of better breathing), you'll drop the peak boost and regain some of the SC thermal efficiency that is normally lost by going to a reduction pulley on a stock head. Sorry for the long sentance.

I'm also not a big fan of the hard RPM limit interpretation on SCs. You go over that, yes you accelerate wear, but WTF, it's in a good cause! If you figure you're going to have to do your SC sometime, then the difference in SC life isn't so large that you're going to need more than one rebuild in the life of the car, so have at it and have fun! Spin away!

Matt

5. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Great thread! Researching and this reminded me that my car is just over 80k miles, so I need to do a compression test before installing a 15% pulley.

6. cheezeit

cheezeit New Member

Sep 11, 2010
    DFW
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I started reading into this and it hit exactly the question I was wondering... Still debating on 15% or 17%. Might do what suggested and compromise at 16%.

It was unclear but if you got a tune done, would installing a new pulley throw it off by a lot? I understand with anything you do, a re-tune is always BEST but would I me missing much if I didn't?

7. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Yes it will throw the tune off, is it worth adding the pulley and getting a retune? Absolutely! ! ;)

15 or 17? It's all about heat, the faster you spin the SC the less efficient it becomes. If your on a stock head and track your car go with the 15. In a track session or a hard long run through the twisties where your keeping the car in the high rpm ranges the additional heat from a 17 will very quickly negate any additional HP that you were enjoying unless you have Meth injection or some way to remove the heat build up... 2 cents

8. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    ANY engine performance mod that significantly affects air or fuel flow will affect the tune.

9. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Here is the best advise you can get. If you are having that much thought about which pulley to buy, 15%,16%, or 17%. Do yourself a favor and just get the 17%, if you get anything less you'll always be wondering what the next size up would have done for you, and always be considering changing it. Just go 17% to start and call it a day.

As for the tune, IF your car has been tuned and you change anything pulley, intake, exhaust etc you should get it retuned. This is why you shouldn't tune your car till your done modifying it.

10. cheezeit

cheezeit New Member

Sep 11, 2010
    DFW
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, but I should still be able to feel the upgrade with the new pulley correct? Even if the car isn't tuned for it correctly? I plan on doing a re-tune after the pulley when ever it be comes available again, but I was just seeing how this would affect me in the mean time.

The car is mainly a daily driver, with some spirited runs. I spend most of my time below 5k rpm, I figured the 17% would benefit me and the occasional redline shouldn't be too damaging right?

11. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Yes you don't need a tune to install a pulley, 90% of the pullied cars out there are using the stock ECU tune. I guarantee you'll feel a difference when you install a pulley, it's the most HP for your $$.
    I've got pullies in stock when your ready.

12. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for installing the 17% Way! I'm definitely glad I decided to just go for the 17%. Looking forward to the next steps when the time well mostly the money is right.

13. howsoonisnow1985

howsoonisnow1985 New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Inmate
    Santa Cruz County Jail
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I put a 17% from a JCW pulley, if anyone wants to give it a spin lemme know, I'm in NorCal though. Also car not in top shape in need of a cat (cat is clogged?) new plugs and a tune, but still pulls strong. (plug and tune don't match mods)