16 Year Old Teen to Race to the Clouds at Pikes Peak Hillclimb in a MINI

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by Nathan, Jun 25, 2010.

1. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I remember talking with todd at a past AMVIV about his hill climbing past and he hhad some great stories . Here are a few pics of his car which he has been very succesful with over the years

Randy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yes, and this girl is only 16 as well......

I also had read quite a bit about Abbey's trip and followed part of it, so I'm of the same opinion as Maxmini...

Oh, and I'm over 60 now, in fact 61 this July - and I have my third track date this year on July 7th, with several more to come yet this season.

3. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Here is a thread from someone that is at the event as we speak . Some nice shots and a little video of this girls car .

Randy

[ame=http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19357]2010 Pike's Peak Hill Climb - motoring|underground[/ame]

4. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I'm happy that both of you may be growing older, but not growing up...too! I'm 64, so STFU, too! :cornut: I had a '59 Morris Mini Minor when I was 16, and sold it while I was in college in 1966 [dumb idea, huh...sure wish I had kept it...now]. I never got another 'til after I had retired, but now they are called MINI. Bought a used Cooper in '04 and took it to the track in '05 4x...planned on more 'til I learned the CVT doesn't hold up well [or atleast is not supposed to, after 50-60k]. lol Now, it's a show car, and I have an '06 MCS for the daily driver/parttime track car.

Sorry, I do not recall posting that, unless an arbitrary age is met, a person cannot be competitive...nope I never said that.

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Well, according to Bernie E.: "Women should be all dressed in white like all other domestic appliances."

Guess this youngster never heard of Bernie.

6. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I think we are on the same side . I only quoted your post to bust on my buddy Tul's with regards to the 60 comment .
    You are spot on with your comment that things like this could start a rush to go faster , further , higher and younger . There was a 13 year old girl in Holland I believe that the court had to step in to keep her parents from sending her on an around the world solo cruise. The agency that ratifies world records has already decided to not acknowledge any further " youngest " attempts . In the age of reality shows and book deals there is more motivation than ever .

Randy

7. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Now now. Don't get your depends in a bunch. Lol :eek: ;)

I was simply making a point. I know plenty of capable drivers who are older. And many who are young.

Anywho. It's sad that things with the sailor went wrong. It's become a bit of a witch hunt focused on the parents. Speculations about them wanting fame and fortune will always be just that. From what I had seen and read. He backed out of the an opportunity for it to be a reality show cause it was getting outta hand and it wasn't what he wanted for his family or daughter. Now that it's gone bad. I don't think we will ever know the truth.

I agree with randy. This is night and day in comparison. Going off alone on a boat vs this run up pikes peak is not really the same thing.

I hope she does well. :)

8. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Hummm

I had the pleasure of meeting this young lady up at the MINI OF LOVELAND Grand Opening.

She is poised, confident and appears very mature for the young age of 16.

It was a few days after meeting her that I found out she was 16.

Lots of young racers start in karting, then go onto open wheel racing then on to Indy car or F1.

It appears Savannah decided the route was kart, track, hill. I give her an A+ for the efforts. :Thumbsup:

I imagine if this was a young man who was 16 with a similar background, we would not be having this discussion.

Btw, I will be 64 in September, go ahead pry the keys of my MINI out of my hands. :incazzato:

Off to High Plains for lapping on Sunday, I will post a picture or two. :D

Don

9. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Haha, I love the comments from the 60+ group. You guys crack me up.

10. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Soon, you'll be a part of that crowd, too...then we can ALL crack on those pesky younguns! :ihih:

11. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    There are rules for a reason...

and we all know that a lot of them are arbitrary, so rules can and will have exceptions. I have no clue what this girl had to do to get accepted to the track, but whatever, if those that sponsor it are happy, I'm happy!

As far as the sailing girl who didn't make it, as far as I know, there is no governing body that sets the rules for what one can or can't do on the open ocean. Her and her families motives may or may not have been good, but then, they paid for the boat and whatever. The notion that she's 16 and there is uncovered costs in the rescue is a reason that she shouldn't have gone doesn't seem to hold water. If she were 18 it would be OK for her efforts to fail and have to be bailed out to the tune of $300k? Or if she were 21 it would be OK? Out here in wildfire country, there is a growing trend for emergency services to try to recoup part of the costs of fighting fires that were started by people accidentally. Maybe something similar should be done on the high seas. I don't really know but if there is potential exposure to large expenses, maybe people will think again about the risks....

We have arbitrary age rules because they are easy. But we all know that there is a variation in skill levels at any given age. Those that are ahead of the curve pay the price of the convinience of simple age rules, and I for one, like to see that there are those willing to take the time to consider individuals based on individual skills.

Anyway, good luck to the lady driver! Hope she does well.

Matt

12. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Damn right, I look forward to it.

13. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Being in my 60s are great years, so far! My ONLY wish, however, is that the new MINI had come out sooner! Rover farted around way too long, IMHO. But, now that I have a Silk Green MC for show, a Royal Grey MCS for my D/D and track car, and have fairly good health...can life be better?

14. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Damn it. Too many 60 somethings driving these cars. Time to move on?

15. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    After having read all about this young gal that I can, I hope it's not too late for me to cheer her on, too! :Thumbsup: Far be it from me to want to heap crap on someone who deserves the accolades she has so fiercely sought.

Jeff

16. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Most of us all get there, sooner or later! :cornut:

17. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    :idea: Honda :Thumbsup:

18. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    From what I can tell today she made all 3 practice runs and her qualification run with out issue. So far so good.

Randy

19. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLlUgilKqms]YouTube - Austin Powers 1- Stoooooooooooooooop![/ame]

But I already had a Honda. With a wing and everything.

20. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Excellent! I'm very happy she's going for this. The more real motorsports the MINI gets involved in the better.