17th Annual Minis Slay the Sleeping Dragon 2019; 10/11 - 10/13

Discussion in 'Regional & National Events' started by colejd, Aug 14, 2019.

1. colejd

colejd Club Coordinator

Jun 22, 2010
    Environmental Engineer
    Fayetteville, NC
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    MSSD19FBcover1.jpg

Registration for MSSD 2019 is now open!

Here is the link for registration: http://msreg.com/MSSD2019

For more info on all that is happening this year, please visit:

https://www.facebook.com/events/2728982823992629/

If you are a Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club (THMMC) member (It's free to join!), please check out this link for more information about the event's details as the event approaches.

https://www.tarheelminis.org/forumdi...leeping-Dragon

MINIs Slay the Sleeping Dragon is a gathering of MINIs old and new, at picturesque Fontana Village at Deals Gap, NC. Masses of MINIs will be attending to Slay the Dragon! MSSD will be held on Friday through Sunday, October 11th through 13th. This is a laid back event which will have time for fellowship and driving! There will be something for everyone! We have a group rate on a block of lodge rooms and a number of cabins. Ask for Tar Heel MINI Rates for MSSD.

MSSD 2019 Friday Night Dinner in Bryson City (Friday, October 11th)

Join us other Miniacs to suffering from OCMD (Obsessive Compulsive Mini Disorder) to start this weekend of twisties!

Date: Friday October 11th

Time: 4:30 PM

Where: Ingles Grocery Store, 76 Hughes Branch Rd, Bryson City, NC

1. First, we will be meeting at 4:30 in the Ingles parking lot where we will pass out T-shirts and make run announcements.

2. Second, at 5:15, we will head towards downtown Bryson City where we will park around or near the Swain County Clerk of Court Building.

3. Finally, we will then split up to have dinner at 5:30 in one of three great restaurants in Bryson City. There is no need for you to sign up for a particular restaurant. We have made reservations for the following number of people at the following restaurants:

a. Pasqualino's Italian Restaurant (~30 people) 25 Everett Street, Bryson City, NC - Menu (http://www.cherokeesmokies.com/pasqualinos/)

b. Jimmy Mac's (~45 people) 121 Main St, Bryson City, NC - Menu (https://www.zmenu.com/jimmy-macs-bryson-city-online-menu/)

c. Anthony's Italian Restaurant (~55 people) 50 Depot St., Bryson City, NC - Menu (https://www.anthonysderailedbrysoncity.com)

Here is a map of downtown Bryson City showing how close the 3 restaurants are to each other. If you zoom out and look Northwest across the river you will see an odd-shaped building with lots of parking. That is the Swain County Clerk of Court Building. We will park there as a group and walk over the bridge to dinner.

We will have a shortened menu at each restaurant rather than ordering off the menu the to make the meals a bit faster. Menu details not available yet. Note that dinner will be at your own expense.

2. colejd

colejd Club Coordinator

Jun 22, 2010
    Environmental Engineer
    Fayetteville, NC
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Important!!!

Our group block of rooms and cabins at the Fontana Village Resort (see previous posting)expires after Friday, August 23rd. While the group rates will continue after this date the actual rooms and cabins may not be available so book within the next 2 weeks!

MSSD 2019 Lodging Options!

Here are 3 options for lodging during MSSD 2019:

1. Fontana Village Resort (IMPORTANT: Fontana Village Resort group rates end COB 9/15)

For MSSD 2019, you will need to make reservations for Friday Night (10/11), Saturday Night (10/12), checking out Sunday morning (10/13).

Fontana Village Resort options:

As of this posting (8/12), our Fontana Village (800-849-2258) group block of rooms and cabins consists of the following:

16 / Double Queen Bed Lodge Rooms - $95 / night
    4 / Single King Bed Lodge Rooms - $95 / night
    1 / Lodge Room with Fireplace - $95 / night
    3 / One Bedroom Willow Cabins @ $125 / night
    6 / Two Bedroom Hemlock Cabins @ $219 / night
    2 / Two Bedroom Hickory Cabins $169 / night
    1 / Three Bedroom Azalea Cabin @ $219 / night

Fontana Village also has camper and tent spots at their campground.

2. The Heart Center:

The Heart Center (828-498-2999) has number of cool lodging options:

One (2) 18" diameter Mongolian Yurt tent (sleeps 4) (http://www.theheartcenter9.com/facilities/yurt-large/).
    One (1) 12" diameter Western Yurt tent (sleeps 2) (http://www.theheartcenter9.com/facilities/yurt-small/).

3. The Quality Inn & Suites in Robbinsville, NC:

Note also when these are all reserved, the Quality Inn & Suites in Robbinsville has 20+ rooms rooms available for both nights from $95-$125/night. Robbinsville is only ~34 minutes away from Fontana Village Resort via a couple of nice twisty roads. The motel can be reached at 828-479-6772.

3. colinmini

colinmini Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +584 / 0 / -0
    I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am suffering from lack of twisties ! I need some real “Dragon Therapy”.......bad!

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Colin there are many great roads in SE Ohio. No need to head to Tennessee. Unless you want too. ;)

5. colinmini

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +584 / 0 / -0
    I realize that there are many great roads up here, but I like to drive fast! And up here on public roads with regular people driving, driveways, cross roads, etc....it’s just not safe! I’ve seen too many innocent people almost get hurt! On the Dragon, we are all down there doing our thing....while maybe not totally safe, at least we all know why we are there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I absolutely understand that. Although the roads down there are also public roads with locals going here & there.

One can have fun without endangering other road users on most any back road. If that can't be done there are race tracks if one feels the need to go 10 10ths.

Roads are not race tracks, but it seems than some feel that the roads in & around the dragon area are their personal racetrack. Justa my opinion, but it isn't safer due to the lack of driveways.

Anyhow as MG used to say.

[​IMG]

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    @colinmini @Crashton

Ok wait I'm confused.......... Race tracks are paved, so are roads..........Race tracks have curves, so do roads......Race tracks have safety cars, so do roads, they do have different color lights, I don't know why. Race tracks have chicanes, Roads have big rolling pylons.

Seems the same to me......:D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Lee do a track day or a race & you will see what the difference is. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Apologies to the slay the sleeping dragon folks. I didn't mean to carp all over your thread. o_O

My meds are slow to kick in toda...... :Dead:

10. colinmini

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +584 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree that racing should be done on race tracks. I also have fun on one public road: The Dragon. The Dragon is not a race track. I have over 9000 miles on this road and I still have never “timed” myself, it’s not what I do there. I also do not drive fast on other local roads down in the TN/NC area for the same reasons stated above. The Dragon should be driven with respect, and respect needs to be given to all other drivers on it, both enthusiasts and locals! That being said, most locals know what we all go down to the Dragon for and they love to have our tourism dollars.

11. colinmini

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +584 / 0 / -0
    I hope everyone had fun down at MSSD! I’ve seen some pics from Steve and it look awesome!

More pics please.

Anyone who didn’t get enough, I’m heading down this weekend to get my Dragon Therapy! (Sons were home last weekend). Feel free to join me.