2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: 1st Snow, 1st use of DCS and now CEL?

1. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I fear you are dealer bound. The DSC light going on & off is the traction control nanny trying it's best to get you stuck. Sometimes it is better to spin the wheels some. As far as the cel & abs light goes I have no clue. Maybe some snow & ice tore a wire loose.

2. Minimania1

Minimania1 New Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Owner, Mini Mania Inc.
    Grass Valley, Calif
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  3. RllyDrvrIX

RllyDrvrIX New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    We'll see, I have a call in to the dealer and maybe (just maybe) I can get in tomorrow night.

4. RllyDrvrIX

RllyDrvrIX New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    CEL light off this morning. Never returned all the way to work in similar conditions.

I really love this car, it fixes itself!!!

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I found last winter that when there is snow I have to turn the DSC off. If not when i would go up a hill or the tires would spin a bit, the engine power cut to the point I would slide backwards.

Jim

6. RllyDrvrIX

RllyDrvrIX New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    This being my first FWD car (previous were RWD and 4WD) I have some learning to complete.

The "power-off" part of the DSC is what prompted me to keep my foot in it.

I will practice this weekend in some snow-covered parking lots.

Lots to learn with this little gem of a car but I still love it!

Jim, I went with KUDA for the GPS but opted for Pro-Clip for the iPhone4 and love it! I'll post some photos in my gallery this weekend.

7. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Glad to hear it cleared which is what I half expected reading through this post

Part of the other learning curve of owning a MINI for me was that CEL does not mean "your about to throw a cam shaft" it is more along the line of "hey one of my bips is not beeping and want you to know"

Good investment is a OBDII reader or Scan Gauge which can 1) tell you what the problem is (if any) and 2) it will clear the CEL. I got one from our own Dr. O and it has come in handy several times.

Other option is to give a CEL a couple days and if it persists THEN you call the service dept

8. RllyDrvrIX

RllyDrvrIX New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I used to have a ScanGuage II with a previous 4WD truck. I used it as a monitor. Never needed to check or clear a code.

What would you recommed, a dedicated OBDII or ScanGauge II?

9. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Kind of a toss up, depends on pers pref

I'm using the OBDII Reader over the scan gauge mainly out of aesthetics. 1) I don't want another 'thing' on my dash on top of GPS and iPod 2) I have a Eco Route HD for my Garmni which feeds me some, not all, of the data that you would get from the Scangauge

Guess the decider is how much engine data you want. Want allot? Scan Gauge would be the way to go. Don't really care and just want to see what a CEL is and clear it if it is nothing consequential? OBDII

10. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0