1st Gen R53 Cooper S 2003 MCS A/C Repair

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by ole97texas, Jul 3, 2011.

1. ole97texas

ole97texas New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    MINIster
    Texarkana, Texas
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Happy Fourth everyone. I'm considering a 2003 MCS with 96k for purchase. The ac quit blowing cold. Any estimates on this type of repair?

2. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    New OEM A/C compressor $930, aftermarket $750, used $450, if you haven't bought the car take this into consideration.

3. TATTRAT

TATTRAT Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    If it is still blowing, but not cold, it could be as simple as a system "charge". I forget what the new EPA agents are, but a simple Freon charge can be as little as $35.

4. miniconcarne

miniconcarne New Member

May 5, 2009
    Machinist
    Home
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    My A/C quit blowing cold air when the cooling fan died. Common in older MINIs. I replaced the fan unit myself, so only cost me around $100.

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Is it at all "cool"... or not cool at all?

Mine lost a good bit of it's coldness... one DIY shot of the proper refrigerant later, and all is well..... and cheap...

6. ole97texas

ole97texas New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    MINIster
    Texarkana, Texas
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ac quit in 03MCS

not cool at all.

7. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: That's not cool(no pun intended). In an earlier post, if my alzheimers memory serves me correctly,perhaps on another thread, you talked about a mechanic friend who checked this car over. Any chance that he could check out the A/C for you. Nothing better than knowing for sure what's wrong and the expense involved.:Thumbsup:

Jason

8. ole97texas

ole97texas New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    MINIster
    Texarkana, Texas
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    03 ac quit

The mechanic was in another city and this car is several hundred miles away. This is a car we are looking to purchase but were wanting to know how much to expect in repair costs before buying the car. I hope to find a mechanic in his area who will take a look at it.

9. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Our hearts and prayers are with you.:Thumbsup:

Jason

10. RayanMX

RayanMX New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello miniconcarne,

This is good news for me (at last)!

Are you saying that you fixed your AC blowing hot by replacing the two stage (main) fan?

I'm almost sure that my AC stopped working because the 1st stage fan stopped working (2nd stage still works), but never heard of an actual case where replacing the fan fixed the AC blowing hot air problem!

This sounds sweet!

Cheers!
    RayanMX

11. ole97texas

ole97texas New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    MINIster
    Texarkana, Texas
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Decided not to buy the car. Seller was hesitant to let me drive it to a mechanic 45 miles away. Have since bought an 04 MCS.

12. HRM

HRM New Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I think the symptoms where this would be true is AC works when driving, blows hot at lights...etc.

For me this year, My mini was not blowing cold in spring. Very surprising since it was good last year. I used a can of the juice with dye so if it leaked I could find it and fix it. The AC worked even better all year (still works great.) As a matter of fact, it works better than the wifes car that just got a new compressor, drier, and was repaired by a mini tech....so...

My advice to get some refrigerant with dye and cross your fingers. It may just be low and that will be all you need (I still can't see a leak) It may be cold days make the seal shrink and it may leak over the winter again, then I will find it and fix it next spring.

13. RayanMX

RayanMX New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Many thanks for your recommendation, I will do just that and see if Imy mini has a leak

Cheers