Hi everyone. I'll be documenting a big job (for me) to both solve a major problem and take care of many aged parts, and hopefully solve a persistent oil leak that has evaded me so far. This is a 2004 MCS six-speed. I'm the original owner and it is now my 18-year-old son's daily driver after being my daily for 15 years. It has 152,000 miles and has been well-serviced by two mechanics throughout its life, and by me for the last few years. This all started over here where I was troubleshooting codes p0302 for a cylinder 2 misfire, along with p0456 for an EVAP system leak. Thanks to several of you who helped me out over there (MCS02 and Myles2Go, and others!) That thread ended with my mechanic finding the main problem - a burned valve on cylinder two. We're now digging into the following: pull the cylinder head cylinder head to machine shop for valve job new timing chain new timing tensioner new chain guides new oil pan gasket new crankshaft position sensor o-ring new oil filter housing gasket new belt tensioner & pulley new supercharger pulley - Cravenspeed 15% reduction new crankshaft pulley - Cravenspeed 2% new idler pulley new crankshaft seal new belt new valve cover gasket new timing cover gasket and seals and of course, new oil and coolant I'll document this work with a summary of each day, photos wherever possible, and almost certainly some questions along the way. In May of 2020, we did what I thought was a major refresh. Oh how innocent I was... at that time, we: removed the supercharger and replaced its oil replaced the green supercharger-to-block gasket replaced the supercharger-to-charged air plenum gasket replaced the throttle body gasket replaced the valve cover gasket replaced the spark plugs replaced water pump outlet o-rings replaced the belt replaced upper and lower radiator hoses replaced the radiator replaced both oxygen sensors replaced the exhaust manifold & cat (original manifold cracked, which led to this work in the first place) Fair warning - I think I work pretty slow! I doubt I'll be posting up huge progress each day, and to make it worse, I'll probably only be getting into this on the weekends unless I get really deep in it and take a day off work. I'm no pro, I'm learning from YouTube, forums like this, and my new Bentley manual and the Haynes manual we've had for a few years. I take my time, bag and label parts and hardware, and stop when I'm tired (or my garage gets too cold - it's awful right now). Day 1 Got a slow start, but set a goal to lay eyes on the crankshaft by the time I was done, and I managed that much. I also got my first look at just how bad the oil leak really is. The horizontal surfaces are covered in oil from the front of the block all the way back past the power steering fan. It's not good. Really hoping the gaskets and seals I replace will solve this. Today we accomplished: front-end service mode with the radiator frame supported on 8mm x 100mm bolts removed the power steering fan to get it out of the way drained oil removed lower engine mount; rubber bushing is cracked, new one on order removed the serpentine belt removed AC compressor pulled the crankshaft position sensor, replaced o-ring removed the oil pan removed the intercooler Lots of little bits of metal in the oil pan... I'm really not feeling good about that. It's been years since the oil pan was off - the gasket was last replaced at 110,000 miles in 2016. That was done by my mechanic, and they reported a clean pan at that time. So all these little shavings and flecks are from the last 40,000 miles. I change the oil every 5,000 to 6,000 miles with LiquiMoly Molygen. I'm not sure yet what to make of this, but it seems it could be bad news for the state of the engine internals. Nasty Engine Mount Oil Pan & Gasket Crankshaft, wiped down Crankshaft Look at all that mucky oil on everything Clean oil pan interior Dirty oil pan exterior (to clean tomorrow) Tomorrow's plan is to detach the exhaust manifold (and heat shields) and pull the oil filter housing for its new gasket. Then I'll get the new oil pan gasket and oil pan back in so I can get my jack under the pan to support the engine for removal of the belt tensioner and pulleys. But the cylinder head is my priority - I may get those other steps complete to be ready for the pulleys, but I want to get the cylinder head to the machine shop on Monday, so that's my primary goal for tomorrow. I'll share progress tomorrow night.