Interior 1st Gen 2006 MCS Down Tube removal instructions

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by MiniKar, May 6, 2015.

1. MiniKar

MiniKar Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Nevada
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi All,

I need some assistance with my 2006 MCS as I want to remove the Down Tubes so I can paint them.

Can anyone give me detailed instructions so I don't break something ?

Thanks, MiniKar

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    #2 BlimeyCabrio, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
    [​IMG]

Going from memory:
    • Grab the shift knob and pull up - HARD. The knob will pull off the shifter.
    • Remove the visible torx bolts in the sides of the downtimes - two per side. This allows them to slide down to clear the dash and glovebox.
    • Grab the shift boot ring with your fingers from the inside ("through" the boot) and lift - it will snap up and out. Clip the zip tie holding the boot to the shifter. Remove the boot and ring.
    • Reach your fingers inside the rear of the shifter area, and push up on the mirror / seat heater module. You may have to fiddle with the clips in there. It will release and pop up and out. Unplug the cables.
    • This exposes two screws holding down the console. Remove them.
    • Remove two screws in the cup holders.
    • The shifter console is now free. Lift a bit and unplug the cable from the power outlet. You should be able to lift and shift it to the rear to remove. You may have to physically move the shifter into a "rearward" gear position for clearance.
    • Slide the downtubes out of the bottom of the console. Paint if it makes you happy. :)

Reverse procedure to reinstall. You may need to remove the one screw holding part #2 to get it to all slide back together, it's a little like porcupine sex.