2nd Gen 2007 cooper s turbo not starting massive missfire codes. help!

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by CIN, Jun 7, 2018.

1. CIN

CIN New Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi

First this is my first post here :)

I have an automatic 2007 mini cooper s turbo and it has developed a starting problem.
    So the mini had an engine light come on. I decided to take a look with the obd reader.

It had multiple misfire codes. I cleared them and the car has not been able to start anymore. Sometimes it starts for a few seconds and it dies. Engine is obviously miss firing. I can manage to rev it up a bit but it still auto shuts off even while giving it some throttle.

I read a bit around and many people seem to have problems with the hpfp on the side of the engine. I checked the fuel pump in the tank and that seems to be working fine. I also changed the hpfp but still the same issue. Car turns but does not start and when it does it dies immediately. Check engine comes on and shows multiple missifires. Most of them are on cyl 3 and 4.

Can somebody help me sort this out please?

Thanks
    Joe

2. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    A misfire can be as simple as needing new plugs and/or coils. My first misfire was a HPFP, but the next one was coils.

3. CIN

CIN New Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply. The strange thing is that it worked ok before I cleared the engine light. as soon as I cleared that it never started again.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    How many miles do you have on your Mini? Also when was the last time you had the intake valves walnut blasted to remove carbon build up? Some people make it to 70k but I know some people have it done as low 40k. Clearing the codes did not hurt anything.

5. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    They'll go in and out when nearing end of life.

6. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Is this still the case (i.e. starts sometimes) or is this still the case
    If this is the case - sounds like you have confirmed Fuel.. next for me would be to confirm spark (especially with the codes its throwing). Have you confirmed you are getting spark?

For me that would be the next step. If its turning over, you have fuel, but no start (or even what sounds like its trying to start).. I would confirm spark and that the plugs are not fouled.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    If those intake valves get coked up enough it wont start either. Its an N14 engine with direct injection. The PVC system is not the best design I have seen.

8. Neil

Neil New Member

Jul 25, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Starting and dying sounds like hpfp. If you don’t have a fuel pressure testing kit you’ll need to get that tested at a local shop. If you have the tools you want 5 bar going into hpfp and about 50 bar going to the rail at idle.

9. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I agree with testing things before you start throwing parts at it.

First, test compression......timing chains are an issue with these engines.

If compression is at least even and enough, then check the fuel pressure. If that's OK go on to the ignition system - coils and such. You'll already have the plugs out to do compression so that might give you some clues too.

10. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    If it keeps showing missing, I'd check the coil packs. Two out of four coil packs going out would make it hard to keep the car running. On other cars, I've had multiple coil packs fail within weeks of each other, so it wouldn't surprise me to see two go out at about the same time.

CD

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Coil packs test and then walnut blasting the intake valves.