Exterior 2nd Gen 2009 H13 Xenon HID conversion - Anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by soulrider911, Mar 8, 2012.

1. soulrider911

soulrider911 New Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Web Developer
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I m having one heck of a time figuring out the necessary equipment to make this happen. I have a 2009 JCW with halogen lights, and I want to convert it to HID. First if anyone on here has done it please chime in. I know that resistors (cancelers) are needed or you will get an error code on the dash. However because the H13 bulb has both HI/LO in one bulb do I need four resistors? I have searched high an low for kits or any input on this, and it seems hard to find. I would love any help, WHatever I need to get to make this happen. thanks

2. KenWarren

KenWarren New Member

Feb 23, 2012
    BI consultant
    SE Pennsylvania
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Before you spend any money, please read this.

3. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    Here in Yurp, a Mini with factory xenon lights is also fitted with ride height sensors front and back which are used to control the aim of the headlights so that the dipped beams don't glare other drivers.

Front sensor on the left and rear on the right:

[​IMG]

So, do US-spec cars get these sensors? RealOEM says they do, so that would be another thing needed if anyone wanted to do a 'factory' upgrade to xenons. Plus you would need the wiring from the sensors to the lamps, which are probably not in the wiring loom of a standard-light car.

4. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Interesting. The US spec models do have an auto leveling feature. Good point. I never thought of that added complexity for a swap.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    That only applies to putting HID kits into old halogen lenses which is a stupid idea anyhow.

You can upgrade to HID's without any issues if you replace the housing with HID projectors.

Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

6. KenWarren

KenWarren New Member

Feb 23, 2012
    BI consultant
    SE Pennsylvania
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    In theory I agree with you. However, headlamps are a crucial component for safety reasons, and I doubt that an aftermarket kit is going to be anywhere near as good as the factory units. Just for one thing, do the aftermarket kits include the leveling features?

A better modification (though I don't know if it's possible on a Mini) is to improve the halogen headlamp wiring with heavy wires from the battery, and a relay to activate the headlamps. (Daniel Stern's web site includes information about this as well.) This will also be a cheaper conversion. :)

And if you want a true conversion, the Mini units are, honestly, the best choice, as long as all components are installed.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yes an OEM kit / headlamps are the best as they come as a whole unit and you can just drop them in like plug and play. But if you go custom you can also get the Acura OEM projectors ballast and wiring and make a much better kit than the BMW / Mini OEM ones.

8. Flooris

Flooris New Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #8 Flooris, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
    Sorry for the serious kick ;)

Not entirely true I'm afraid..

My wife has a R53 with factory Xenons.
    I have a R53 with factory Halogens.

I've bought a set of OEM Xenons to put in my car. They won't start and flicker quite bad. I've swapped the ballast, the ignitors, the bulbs.. Nothing helped.

On the big giant interwebz it says I might want to try something called HID Warning Canceller, also known as HID Error Message Canceller, HID Decoder and HID Anti Flicker Capacitor.. I don't see how this will fit my car without some serious adjustments. Anyone have any idea?

I'm so sorry, just saw this is in the R56 prt of the forum..