Question Engine Electronics MINI Cooper ECU Most liked posts in thread: 2010 Mini Cooper wouldn't start, crank and has sparks

1. Tom D

Tom D New Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks David. I had the ECU clone from original. My understand from the person cloning is that all the info is transferred to the new ECU. When I have the original one re-installed, there is an audible click coming from relay R1... There isn't when a new ecu is install but neither ECU start up the car right.

Thanks for the info on direct injection motor. We weren't too sure why that didn't work so now we know.

2. Tom D

Tom D New Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Also wanted to add the fuel pump is working. We can hear it running when the car is in the ON position. When we remove the valve cover (looks like the cover for bike tires). We use a small hex wrench to check for gas pressure and it's there. (Spray out). We turn off the car and release all the gas in the line. Turn the car on again and hear the pump running. We turn it off and check the line again and there is gas spraying out again. We think the pump is good.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ok, I am not a second generation guy but I know you have to register the new battery when you replace it. Also your original ECU should be fine and I would put it back in the car because it is a coded part with other modules in the car like BCM and EWS. You can not just swap out ECU’s.

BTW - starting fluid does nothing for a direct injection motor.

Please take your car to a dealership and let them troubleshoot the problem with the correct scanning tools road reads and system after you put the original ECU back in the car.

also, if you let any car sit for an extended amount of time you should always put a battery tender on it. Especially any MINI. The modern car very sensitive to low power and bad or old fuel.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Sorry but I never have seen any good come from a cloned ECU.