2nd Gen R56 Cooper 2012 Fiat 500 vs. 2011 Mini Cooper Comparison Test and Video

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Nathan, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Edmunds Inside Line posted a comparison test of the Cooper vs the 500. I'll not spoil it...

----

We're not sure how we ended up on Mulholland Highway with the 2012 Fiat 500, but the little red hatchback is taking the abuse well. We chuck it into corner after corner, and it always takes a set (eventually) and then gathers itself up for the next challenge. As economy cars go, this Rosso Cinquecento is a gamer.

So is the 2011 Mini Cooper. There's no turbocharger or optional sport suspension on this base Cooper hardtop, but it doesn't matter. The Mini reacts to steering inputs like a good hitter who gets a fastball down the middle of the plate: It turns on them immediately and delivers us to the apex quicker than we expected.

Maybe we're missing the point of the Fiat 500 and Mini Cooper, hammering on them like this. These are already hip cars. They don't get more hip when you put a sweaty Inside Line editor in the cockpit.

Eventually, though, the puppy-dog cuteness will wear off, and you'll want to be left with a hatchback you actually like driving — rather than a tiresome pet car you wish you'd never brought home.

Read more and catch the video

2. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Good reading. Thanks Nathan. If I were in the market I'd gladly spend the extra 4K plus (as quoted in the article) and have a pet I'd love ta feed, bathe, and show off to perfect strangers on any given day. A keeper.

Or on the other hand, it's kind'a like being a pig farmer and you want to take your prize hog out ta dinner. You dress her up and put some lipstick on her, and she's still a pig!

I'm just say'n...

3. Number Six

Number Six New Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Internet Marketing Manager
    Vermont, USA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Nice find Nathan - thanks for sharing.

4. MaverickGun

MaverickGun New Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I was actually kind of excited about the Fiat when I saw it at the 2010 LA Auto Show. I thought it was cool that Fiat was finally coming back to the US and, at least from the outside, I found the styling kind of fun and I was looking forward to seeing how it'd stack up against MINI, which it was obviously gunning for. If I was expecting some sort of rivalry, I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed. Not that I was ever considering trading in my MINI for a Fiat, but some competition is sometimes fun. I guess we'll see what they do with the Abarth next year.

5. Number Six

Number Six New Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Internet Marketing Manager
    Vermont, USA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I am glad there's some fun cars to choose from besides the "copy-cars" from Japan and elsewhere, that are also affordable.

And seeing how the FIAT is less expensive, I would hope that the MINI would be a better car; but also nice to know that the MINI is the better buy as well.

:Thumbsup:

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'm happy there are some fun car choices out there. I figure for every Fiat 500 on the road there is one less big honking SUV on the road.

7. MaverickGun

MaverickGun New Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I agree. And I don't mean to sound negative since I do like the Fiat. Nowadays, I feel it does what it was designed to do well, and in the end I suppose that's what really matters :Thumbsup:

8. tmors424

tmors424 New Member

May 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    @ Crashton my tag number is I8NSUV :D