2012 The Year of Ugly Open Wheel Racers

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Nathan, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Had a chance to check out the Indy Car race on TV today and boy are they ugly too.

Those sidepods that protect the rear wheels look like crap

[​IMG]

From watching the race I see they can bump and bang into each other as well. It's just not right.

We know about that stepped nose on many of the F1 cars. Heck, even Ferrari said this was the ugliest F1 car the every designed.

Bring back individualism and design!

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    ++++++1

Definitely not a year for the good looking race car. From the Deltawing all the way to the ALMS LMP cars.....simply ugly. Give me the sports cars!

3. chilicon

chilicon New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Burlingame, CA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    There is always an exception.... the McLaren looks really good.

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I watched the same Indy race. Took me a few moments to figure our they weren't go carts on steroids.

5. Soap

Soap New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    CFO of Elgersma Inc, my 8month old is the CEO!
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Its almost as if they are trying to take F1 off the rankings for the number one most watched sporting event world wide. I mean come on you can almost paint the cars all black and stick the batman emblem on there and no one would ever know the difference.

6. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    There are complaints everywhere, among racing fans, the press, even the racers themselves. Google this: 2012 f1 ugly

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Mashup of 2012 Target Ganassi Indy Car with 2012 Ferrari F1 Car

[​IMG]

8. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    *Shrug* I dig the side-pods on the Indy cars. Let's not forget why they are there...

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I know why, but I think it is the wrong answer to a problem that was self inflicted by the sanctioning body. The wrong track, promoted the wrong way, with the wrong incentives on the line for those willing to take to much risk.

But that is just my opinion.

I also think they went to far the other way. I saw one car bump another in the rear. Front wing to back of car, there was no consequence. These things are now fast bumper cars. The skill in car placement is now pretty much negated.

10. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I can appreciate your point of view. I'll note that Dan Wheldon was actually testing these new chassis for Dallara. They were already in the works for this season before the nightmare at LVMS. As far as the bumper cars thing: Yeah, I saw that too. Not what I had in mind for good open wheel racing either.

[INFLAMATORY OPINION]
    I was at LVMS for the Indy race the day Wheldon died. I will argue there really was only one real factor. As I watched the "undercard" race (Indy lights I think) I saw the cornering speeds they had and the energy released when the wrecked. It was massive.

It comes down to speed. The banking after the re-pave is massive at Las Vegas. It makes for great NASCAR races where the down-force plays a much smaller role in comparison to Indy. The banking allows for more speed by using the improved mechanical grip then the cars can go faster which increases the downforce their aero creates. Problem is when the get sideways (how that wreck started) thier aero is almost immediately unloaded creating a snap-sidways effect. It was this snap-sideways effect that started the huge wreck that collected and flung Wheldon into the retaining fence.

LVMS is too fast for Indy cars. I saw it with my own damn eyes. Do they get faster elsewhere? Yes, but they don't hold anywhere near the same corner speeds on harsh banking with that much down force anywhere else.

It had nothing to do with the million dollar run to the front BS. Number of cars on the track was a factor as it allowed the wreck to spread faster and more severly. However, it wasn't the cause.

I know that Indy will never go back to LVMS. Rightfully so. I watched a guy die on a race track and, even though I never met the guy, it leaves a sinking feeling in my gut every time I think about it. It's odd, I have seen the replay footage and it all looks so slow. Having see the whole wreck myself it started and was over in a flash. No one in our box noticed Wheldon's car. It was the car that looped past turn three all the way to the back-straight on fire that had our attention.
    [/INFLAMMATORY OPINION]

If it suits, feel free to move the opinion portion to the "Politics and Other Messy Stuff" forum.

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    ^+1 Those cars were going to be here even without the tragic loss of Dan Weldon. I hope the cars are safer & that is the main thing. Good drivers will still have excellent car control & car placement. The lesser drivers will still run into other cars as they always have.

Now my take on the F1 cars. They were beautiful in Malaysia. Alonso & Perez doing what no one thought they could was an absolute thing of beauty for sure. :Thumbsup:

12. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Got to say that after watching the Indy cars a bit, they are growing on me to the point that I think I like them!! :cool:

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Nah.....they still look way over-"balanced" (?)

That front wing with the huge rear end just makes them look stupid.

14. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Re: The Ugly Nose of F1

From my understanding that's the constructor's fault. The maximum nose height was lowered, but most of the constructors wanted to use last years' bathtub, hence the step. Mclaren decided to build a new car instead of using the money-saving step of using an old body. I can understand smaller teams opting for the step nose, but the richer teams *COUGHFERRARICOUGH* could have built a new part if they wanted.

Of course, I could be wrong.

As for the new Indycar design, it looks like the late 70's Lotus to me. :)

15. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Looks like they can't make up their minds if they want to race OPEN WHEELED cars or ALMS cars.

Part of being a professional driver is knowing the limits of both our car and yourself. I am adamantly against anyone getting hurt, but racing is a dangerous sport. If you want safe, play XBOX.

I will say I miss the good old days of race cars that were sexy.

If anyone wants to know why ALMS is gaining in popularity, it can be traced directly to this conversation. ALMS cars still look like "real" race cars.

The two main open wheel series, however, are butt ugly, bordering on silly as hell.

If you want to slow them down, how about regulating their top speeds and quit imposing new rules that make the cars ever more stupid looking with each passing season? Even better, have a cop posted next to the track that writes tickets to the speeders... :rolleyes:

16. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Wow, so boys bring your balls and nothing else.. we're doing away with seat belts, Hans devices, fuel cells, safty cages and we're going to plant trees along side the racing surface at every track.... Now then, that' ll bring back that smell of burning flesh we all enjoy so much!!!!

....come on, I love the old cars and their simplicity as much as anyone...but, making the cars and tracks safer for the drivers, ultimately allows them to race EACH OTHER harder. Which after all, other than merely time trialing, is what racing is all about, isn't it? It's those wheel to wheel moments between two or more great drivers that are remembered most....not that qualifying lap time.....

2cents, flame suit on.:cool:

17. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I agree with you 100% minimark. They have made the new Indy Car safer, but they still can & will bite. Racing is dangerous even in a car designed to be safer. No need to make the cars less safe for the sake of aesthetics....

18. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I also think the old cars look more... muscular. There is a design aesthetic of the early days that really appeals visually

Here I disagree. The sleekness has evolved from a variety of pressures: The need to be aerodynamic , the need to be fast, and the need to be safe. Physics, engineering, and safety. To me that makes a beautiful machine.

19. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    This isn't a question of safety with the new Indy cars EXCEPT for the ovals (which in my opinion they shouldn't be racing at anyway cause of the speeds and delicate aero balance they have). Look at what NASCAR had to do to stop the too fast cars from flying when going backwards. They need to look at ways to keep the speeds manageable at these ovals.

Racing has always, and will continue to be, a race for speed tempered by the rules. A race isn't anymore exciting for the fans at 220mph than it is at 160 at an oval. So to declare that they have to do such a radical redesign of the rear end of a car for safety doesn't hold much water with me. Especially since the front wheels are much more responsible for cars getting airborne that the rears are.

Now the nose change req for the F1 cars was a direct result of the rules on the dimensions of the car not being consistent. They saw a large difference in size between the front of the cars and the side pod so they needed to take action.

20. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I've been wait'n for a few weeks now to get a chance to talk with an Indy driver friend of my son-in-law's. As I'm certain there was much that had to be considered for this evolution to occur, I'd like to hear the driver's perspective on the new car design and all that surrounded the redesign decision.

I'll offer a rendition of his thoughts on the subject as soon as I get my opportunity, maybe sometime over the weekend..... Not sure he's around the Central Coast right now.