2nd Gen R56 Cooper 2013 Hardtop -Add a homelink mirror?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Isofuncurves, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Isofuncurves

Isofuncurves New Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I just bought a new mini base model hardtop with sunroof. I haven't even picked it up yet. Can anyone tell me if I can add a homelink mirror? Sales guy said no but, I'm skeptical. Is there power to a base model mirror? Can I buy the part for earlier years and just install it? Any special tools? I'm ok with the stupid expensive price.

2. Isofuncurves

Isofuncurves New Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
  3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I do not know this for sure, but I think it can be added. I'd try finding the mirror used from a wrecking yard. You can save a lot of money.

Try http://car-part.com/

4. DryMartini

DryMartini New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Not sure of the answer, but before doing a lot of work on it, make sure Homelink will work with the things you want it to. Our previous car had Homelink and worked at our old house, but when we moved into the new house it wouldn't work with the gate system or our new garage opener. Something about rolling security codes. I tried the directions we had for those systems, but no luck. Lexus said they don't always work with every system. :confused5:

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    My 2009 has the S319A option..... Integrated universal remote control.
    And S431A.... Interior mirror with automatic dip....

Be careful, it may be more than just switching out the two mirrors to get the Homelink option.... MINI / BMW likes to use modules that are hooked up to the ecu to control all this stuff...

Possible answer would be found examining the wiring diagram in the Bentley manual before buying the new mirror...

6. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    I thought about doing this, but at a few hundred bucks it was a lot easier on my wallet to go to Lowes and get a $30 3-button universal remote.

7. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    I've seen people describe DIY retrofit on the NAM forum. The HomeLink electronics is a completely standalone module that only needs to be hooked up to power.

8. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    I'd try to take a standard HomeLink remote and pull the board out of its case... Then wire in a momentary toggle switch installed in an unused slot on the center console. Hide the board under the dash. You can even install a cheap 12V to 9V adapter... and you'll never have to replace its battery. I did this in another car.... looked / worked great. All for about 50 bucks including the remote.

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Buy a visor with Homelink off of fleaBay & remove the Homelink. Add it to your car & good to go. Of course this will not give you an auto dimming mirror.

[ame=http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAN-ROLLING-CODE-HOMELINK-TRANSMITTER-SWITCH-CONTROL-w-WIRING-VISOR-OEM-/360731337044?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53fd436154&vxp=mtr]Tan Rolling Code Homelink Transmitter Switch Control w Wiring Visor | eBay[/ame]

10. Isofuncurves

Isofuncurves New Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm familiar with Homelink. I've retrofitted my old 84 Chevy C30 with a $200 homelink mirror. I've also added one to my 2013 F150. I want to keep the mini looking totally OEM and I'm not up for the DIY solutions I've seen. With Ford, all I am pulling from the car is power (always on and ignition on). The factory plug worked for the mirror. For the Chevy, I ran my own wire--not a big deal on the old truck but, I don't want to dive into my new mini. I'm hoping a mini mirror with homelink can be a remove and replace task. I have two gate remotes to get to my house and hate having them in the car. I don't really care about the cost.

For those that have tried homelink and it didn't work, one gotcha is that some transmitters only transmit for about 2 seconds. These have specific programming instructions on homelink. It took me several tries to get it to work.

Carl

11. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0