2013 Spy Shots

Discussion in 'Future MINIs' started by Nathan, Jun 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

These are the first spy shots of a prototype for the third-generation of the modern MINI, which is expected to be revealed for the first time in regular Cooper trim late next year before going on sale in the following year as a 2013 model.

[​IMG]

The images reveal a more aggressive look for 2013 MINI Cooper, with a more sharply steeped A-pillar than the current model and a slightly wider front. The front grille also appears to be slightly wider and looks to be sitting lower as well.

[​IMG]

The biggest change, however, is the interior, which looks to be getting a fairly conventional dashboard design rather than the current model’s single driver’s gauge and large centrally mounted unit. On the prototype we can clearly see a dual gauge instrument panel located behind the steering wheel and air conditioner vents in the center of the dash.

[​IMG]

Another big change will be coming in the form of a new three-cylinder engine family for the 2013 MINI Cooper. This family of modular gasoline and diesel engines will eventually go into some 1.5 million BMW and MINI models annually and will feature BMW’s latest ‘TwinPower Turbo’ technology.

[​IMG]

TwinPower Turbo technology features a twin-scroll turbocharging system, direct fuel injection and solenoid injectors, the latter being the latest innovation for BMW’s VALVETRONIC variable valve control system. The resulting effect is a small engine--and small engine fuel economy--but with big engine performance.

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for more information on the 2013 MINI Cooper as development progresses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source - 2013 MINI Cooper Spy Shots

2. COOP310

COOP310 New Member

May 12, 2009
    Lake Mary, FL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Looks like a 1 series dash

3. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Traditional boring dash with no center speedo? Yuk. :(

The rest of the body changes I'll hold off on judging, since there's obviously some parts missing, some parts covered, and there's no way they're going to go with the recessed headlamps that look like spider eyes.

4. Zeyk_Shade

Zeyk_Shade Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Ugh. I know at least a few people that will love the dash if it's released as the spy photos show. Even though I don't use the center speedo for anything in my R53, I love how quirky it is.

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Looks like some major changes, but it still looks like the MINI we know and love. I too, like the never used center speedo, but this new dash will remove all the glare that makes it hard to see the instruments. I like it. :Thumbsup:

Jim

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Keep in mind this is a just a prototype and it will be on a shared platform with a small BMW if rumors are true so what we might be seeing is the MINI body with a BMW interior.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    The front bonnet looks weird and ugly to me.... I hope is all a part of the disguise...

Hah, and that rear bumper shot, is that their combo JustaS bumper. One bumper for everyone... (I know it's not the production bumper)

8. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    That makes sense, but you just had to burst my dream of anti-glare didn't ya. :lol:

Jim

9. Zeyk_Shade

Zeyk_Shade Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I know 2 folks that refused to own a Mini because of the dash, lol. I showed them these spy shots and they are now "sprung" about seeing it released with a normal BMW dash so they can buy one.

10. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    You just don't like the idea of not being able to tell an "S" from the "justa" at a glance. :D

Didn't I read someplace that both the justa and the S will have the turbos, because of the smaller engine size? Maybe there will no longer be "two" versions.

Jim

11. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    ......fart.

But those are early shots, so I'll take a wait and see more attitude for now....

12. amberback

amberback Club Coordinator

Mar 26, 2010
    QA Analyst
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I'll be one of the ones that refuses to own one if they do give it a BMW dash. I like my quirky dash, it is "MINI".

13. TATTRAT

TATTRAT Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    Meh, kind of have mixed feeling about the looks. . .will reserve comments until more is revealed.

Needs a hood scoop though.

14. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    And that would be "why"? Oh, I remember, so it can melt. :lol:

Jim

15. cop1406

cop1406 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Oink Oink
    Sonora, CA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I get more compliments on the interior and the speedo than anything else, don't change it too much, MINI.....:mad:

16. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I'm still not sure how I feel about a 3-cyl engine...

Mine doesn't melt! :biggrin5:

(...now that they replaced the melted one with a CF JCW scoop...:blush2::lol:)

17. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    No Jim....

The "S" will still get the turbo....

Now on the Justa....., that's a totally different story, they plan are putting a big chrome key on the boot that turns when you drive.:ihih:

18. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Well I think that if they do come out with just one version, I'm going to get license plate that says "Justa S". :lol:

Jim

19. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0

20. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Bigger rotors, bigger brakes/calipers. Need the stopping power for that 3cyl. turbo.

I seem to remember the 3cyl experiments, 50s...... DKW, what were the others. We finally used them in the H-Mod series cars. :D

They would scream but not make a bunch of power with a carb. :ihih:

All in all, I will wait for a few months before I make any decisions about a new MINI for me.

Don