1st Gen R50 Cooper 205/60R15 on Holies?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Different Computers, Apr 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Different Computers

Different Computers New Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Mac Guy
    Troy, VA
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    I'm the new owner of a 2003 R50.

From what I'm seeing online, the P185/60R15 Continental tires on the stock steel Holies are not a stock tire size. I'm not too surprised, since I bought it from a shop/breaker yard and they probably put on some decent tread tires that happened to fit.

Seems the OEM tire size is 195/55-16

But I'm curious what those here with experience think of how this size choice works. I have no complaints about handling (though this is the first MINI I've ever driven, so I don't have much comparison) or mileage (just got 40 MPG on my first road trip.)

However, the car does seem pretty noisy.

Let me add that I'm really new to the idea of changing tire sizes on ANY car, and offsets etc still confuse me. I'm not looking for a track tire and I'm more interested in quiet, long tread life and a smooth ride than aggressive performance.

Oops! Titled it as "205" but the tires are definitely 185s.

2. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    175 is stock width on a 15' cooper rims...stock rim width 5.5
    195 is stock tire width on a 16' cooper (optional rim), stock S, 6.5 width...
    Many of us, including myself run 185 on 15'rims for winter tires (on a S).....
    one tip...going wide change how the cars feels...same for heavier rims...
    Wider also changes MPG a bit..more rolling resistance...but you gain a bit of grip...so depends on the driver.
    How wide of a tire you can put on a specfic rim will vary a bunch depending on the sidewall of the tire.....heck some folks make a game of it with terms like "POKE" and stretch..can be an interesting look...
    you can look up the manufacturers recommendation for rim width..they list a MIN/MAX and IDEAL.....
    My suggestion.....the cooper is a bit low in the HP department...so go to wide..and it will feel slower in the straight line...but more grippy in the corners....so choose carefully...and the speedo will go further off....
    the 185 size mentioned is almost the exact size match for the oem 195/55r16...so works out well...many tires are in that size at a cheaper price than the 175 size...so the speedo is within 2-3 MPG of correct with a gps....
    not sure I answered your question....but got you some info anyway!!

3. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Tire size calculator
    try this site to compare different sizes...will tell you the % the speedo will be off...
    but even the OEM sizes vary a bit from each of the 3 (15, 16,17) oem rim choices...

4. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    OEM Wheels and Tires - Mini Wiki
    one more good info site on MINI rims and sizes!!

5. Different Computers

Different Computers New Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Mac Guy
    Troy, VA
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0