Suspension Brakes 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Systemlord, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    The mountain roads are my track, some of the best S-turns that zig-zag, up hill, down hill like a roller-coaster. The rear tires seem like they will last long enough till I ditch my run flats, I'm wanting the Michelin-Pilot Super Sport 205/45/17's, I'll probably want -1.5 camber in the rear, also these tires will wear better than these RF's!

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Several factors at play...

Too much rear negative camber. Mfgs set up suspensions (even MINIs) with understeer for "safety". Adding more negative camber increases understeer, generally.

Too much negative camber *can* increase inner tire wear. In practice, this is most pronounced on runflats due to their overly stiff sidewalls; the inner edge of the tire carries most of the load with negative camber. This is greatly exacerbated if you drive at all on under-inflated runflats. And MANY people do, because it's hard to tell visually.

I wore out the inner edge of my runflats quickly. Has never happened on my non-runflats.

3. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Let me get this right, rear negative camber gives understeer, I'm guessing the only positive is better traction correct?

4. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    #44 BlimeyCabrio, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    Welllllllll

It's not a static system... And it all works together...and there are limits to most things.

So, in combination with everything else the way it comes from the factory, to a limit, more rear neg camber means more understeer, less means more oversteer.

Optimal neg rear camber maximizes traction... Not necessarily "more" neg rear camber.

But you really want to optimize your FRONT camber primarily, then set rear in balance to that, then fine tune with sway settings, etc. if you're out to do it "right".

I thought I was going to do it with a few mods when I started. And it began a 5 year suspension tuning odyssey. :Thumbsup:

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,667 / 2 / -0
    There is lots of good info out there. No reason to reinvent the wheel. Do your research & use what works well.

Many helpful folks here to help you.