2nd Gen R56 Cooper S 2nd gen Serpentine Belt Replacement

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by mini_racer, Oct 10, 2010.

1. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #1 mini_racer, Oct 10, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
    Anybody know of a DIY on this maintenance item? I have a buddy with a thrown belt and it just seems like a rare event for a 2nd Gen.

BTW, Obviously the AC and Alternator runs from the belt, but I am not sure about the Water pump, is it belt driven? It seems like the water pump is friction driven from the crank via an idler,as opposed to an actual belt.

2. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    subscribing. ive got a belt in the mail, so if nobody chimes in ill let you know lol

3. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I have an R53 and just trying to help a buddy that threw a belt today on his R56 JCW. Anyway, it just seems like a very rare event, his car has ~40k mi. My guess is that if it threw a belt then there is some root cause on why it happened and that must be remedied as well as just a new belt.

The R56 is very different from the R53, obviously with the SC, but also with the water pump and the way it is driven. I guess I am just not familiar with the friction driven water pump pulley configuration.

4. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Ohh gotcha. yeah I just want to replace it since they usually do it at the Inspection II from my understanding. Now at 45K