Recipes 3 Meat "Boiled" Dinner, METALMAN APPROVED~

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TATTRAT, Oct 4, 2012.

1. TATTRAT

TATTRAT Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    So, there are many takes on a "Boiled dinner". I like 'em because you can just set it, and forget it. It's like a crock pot but a little more finesse, and it doesn't take 6 hours.

This is a "Gotta Go 3 Meat Boil". . . I had Kielbasa, Smoked Beef Sausage, and Some Southern Turkey Sausage(all Hillshire farms product, nothing special, I get my groceries delivered to the house so I am lucky to get anything). This also works GREAT with thick cut ham steaks(that was what I wanted to do, but they were out of stock).

What you will need:
    Sausages/Smoked meat, Cabbage, Onion, Carrot, Stock(Chicken and beef, please note the 3 cubes of beef bullion as I didn't have canned beef stock available), Garlic, herbs of your choice, I prefer fresh thyme as it's light and floral, cuts through the richness of the meat, but isn't strong or overpowering, like rosemary can be. In addition to the FRESH ONION, and FRESH GARLIC, also use onion powder, and granulated garlic. Crushed Red Pepper, butter, Olive oil canola blend(you don't need a lot) AND SALT AND PEPPER FOR CHRIST SAKE. Bread. The crustier, supple interior, fragrant bread: A good hunk of Sourdough, or some Baguette, just something.

For a cooking vessel: I use a medium sized stock pot, or, as your Mom would call it, a Soup Pot.

Firstly, is the prep:
    -Sausage: I like to leave in about 3-4inch sections, on the bias cut(just for eye appeal).
    -Potatoes:These are Yukon golds, they hold up better, and don't break down like a russet. Cut into 6ths, like nice wedges.
    -Carrots: Peel, and slice into medium sized batons, or of they are small carrots, just 3inch sections, with a bias cut.
    -Onion: Peel, and cut into wedges, not too unlike the potatoes
    -Cabbage: If you like it, use the whole head, if not use half, it cooks down and just takes on the flavor of all the other stuff. I used HALF a head, cut into medium sized wedges

Ready to go:

[​IMG]

The DRY Goods

[​IMG]

The Pot:

[​IMG]

FIRSTLY, heat that ****er up, not ripping crazy hot, but hot, You are gonna be going in with a lot of ingredients, so it's better to start with it hot so the re-coup time to bring back up to temp isn't that bad.

ADD 2T of Oil, and 2T of Butter. The butter should foam almost instantly, and you want it to get a little browned around the edges, the toasty milk solids in the butter help add richness to the broth. Remember, more Color, More better when building a broth/stock/sauce.

[​IMG]

NOW, ON TO ZEE COOOOOOKINGGGGGGGGGGGG!

First to the party, Onion, and garlic, let em go until they start getting some color on them, again, more color, more flavor. SALT, AND PEPPER YOUR ONIONS, they don't season themselves, and the salt will help draw out moisture so that things brown a little quicker.

[​IMG]

Don't burn em, but let em go, they aren't delicate flowers, and the heat will break up the chunks as it breaks them down. . .

Once you get some color on them, time for the dry goods; Add some Onion powder, granulated garlic, your bullion cubes(if you are using liquid broth, hold off), and crushed red pepper. Give them all a stir to get things distributed.

[​IMG]

NOW, IN WITH ZEE MEATS! Add the sausage, all of it. Let that cook for a bit, so that some of it's fats render out, and help to coat the onions, and fond that you are building to make that lovely broth. . .

[​IMG]

Once you have let this meat and onion/garlic party mingle for a bit, look for the sausage to plump a little, it's time to add the salad part: fresh herbs(thyme),cabbage, carrots, and potato.

[​IMG]

Mix thoroughly, let everyone in the party mingle, and get to know one another. You can get a little color on the bottom, and stir it to the top, just do this for a little bit(like 8min or so). . .THEN, they get their drink on!

At this point, in addition to the stock, you can add Guinness, Harp, any kind of strong stout, ot porter, but don't go overboard. For this one, We are going straight up stock. NOTE: The Swanson stock is pretty pale, and the little Beef Bullion cubes aren't like ink(they aren't that strong), but wait to see the color:

[​IMG]

That color is coming from the layers you are building on the bottom of the pan, built up on the onions, and everything else you gave a little patience to. The big fancy culinary term is: Deglazing

Now is the time where we wait. . . drink a beer, get on to drag, fool around with your girl(just wash your hands please before returning to cooking). . .

Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover

[​IMG]

Now, you will know when it's done when the whole house smells like a magical meal is happening. You need to make sure the potatoes are still al dente, have NOT turned to mush, and that the cabbage(the thicker parts) still have a little bite to them. The sausage, you will know it is done, because it will LOOK done.

[​IMG]

- Now, for service, you can just bowl it up like a hearty soup, add a knob of butter to have it melt on top, and just be happy with that. It's great, simple, and delicious.

For this presentation, I took some of the pot liquor, put it in a smaller sauce pan, reduced it(here again, you can hit it with a little Brew(if you left it out of the first chance), Whiskey makes a nice touch, red wine, or just let it reduce. Once it comes down by half, take the pan OFF the heat and whisk in 1T of cold butter, this is another French culinary term, burre monté. .. you are finishing it with butter without it breaking. It's important to KEEP IT MOVING UNTIL IT IS MELTED INTO THE SAUCE.

I laid down some of the Potatoes, laid in some carrots, some cabbage in the middle, and piled a portion of the sausages(1 of each), and spooned the reduction around. You can see the color change in the finished sauce, it is because of that WONDERFUL DAMNED BUTTER. Makes things sumptuious, and stick to your ribs.

If you have GREAT BREAD, if you just served it in the bowl a la soup, a hunk will do just fine. For this, my good bread was ****(moldy), so I made soldiers(toast points) to lay across. A little something green for garnish, and you are good.

[​IMG]