Recipes 3 Meat, Chipotle Chili w/ Maseca. Finished w/ Crema and Queso

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TATTRAT, Oct 10, 2012.

1. TATTRAT

TATTRAT Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    TATTRAT 3 Meat Chipotle Chili w/ Maseca & Finished w/ Crema and Shredded Cheese

Rich, hearty, a little smokey, loaded with meat, it will warm you up and make you feel good inside. The masecca is corn flour, it helps tighten things up at the end and gives a very mild corn flavor. For finishing, you can add Cilantro, Green Onion, Chopped Jalapenos, whatever makes you happy.

I left the beans out of this batch, as my ladyfriend doesn't prefer them. You can add beans in the last 30 min of cooking, I would recommend kidney beans, as they are meaty and hold up well.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED!

[​IMG]

The Veg:
    1 large Onion, diced
    1 Large Red Bell Pepper, diced
    8 Gloves Garlic, minced

The Meat:
    1.5lbs of Sirloin, Diced into fork sized chunks. Dry Rubbed and ready to be blackened/bronzed.
    1.5lbs of 80/20 Ground Beef
    HALF Lb of Smoked Sausage, your call, whatever you prefer

The Wet Goods:
    1 Box Low Sodium Beef Stock
    2 Cans, Diced Tomatoes
    1 LG Jar of Prepared Salsa, I like the Chipotle Salsa from Safeway because I'm still getting my groceries delivered, and that's what I ordered on a whim, It was good. Not too hot, not too mild, and I'd use it again.

The DRY Goods:
    Smoked Paprika
    Granulated Garlic
    Paprika
    Dark Chili Powder
    Light Chili powder
    Cumin
    Salt
    Pepper

OFF WE GO!

I Try to prepare the steak in advance, and give it a few hours to marinate in a dry rub of all of the above dry mix spices. Above, you can see how it should look, it is next to the ground beef.

Get 2 pans going, one saute for the steak, and later the veg, and one Stockpot/Soup pot for the ground beef, and the rest of the goods.

Heat the saute pan over high heat, wait for it to smoke, and go in with your steak. You are looking for a nice bronzed color, you want flavor, not burnt and bitter.

[​IMG]

In the OTHER pan, you get the ground beef browning, and the sausage going. Let that stuff come down, and you are going to drain about 90% of the liquid/fat it renders.

[​IMG]

Once the Steak is to a color of your liking, remember more color = more flavor, add it into the DRAINED ground beef and sausage. That is all the meats in the pot.

[​IMG]

Continue to let all of this cook down, and develop some color.

[​IMG]

While this is going on, in the SAME PAN you did the steak in, add in the diced onion, and diced peppers. You want to sweat these down a bit, and they will start to pick up some color from the left over fond from the steak you cooked earlier. Let them mingle with all that, and get nice and happy. ONCE the veg is nicely colored, deglaze the rest of the fond with about half of the beef stock.

[​IMG]

Let this cook down until the liquid is down about half. At this point, Add it to the meat pot. Also, add in the diced tomatoes, juice and all, the salsa, and about 3/4 of the remaining beef stock. Mix well and add in your dry spices.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once everyone is in the pot, go ahead and bring to a boil, then, a simmer. Let 'er rip for about an hour until the steak parts are just fork tender, but still have some bite to them. The liquid should reduce a bit if you leave the lid off a bit.

In a separate bowl, you want to mix the remaining beef stock with the Maseca (corn flour), and leave it as a paste. If it gets too thick, just add some water. take the chili OFF the heat and slowly whisk this into the Chili. It will start to tighten up quickly, so keep an eye on it. It is also going to CONTINUE to thicken as it gets back On the heat, so keep it a little under the consistency of the FINISHED product. Let simmer for another 15-20 min. If it happens to get too thick, hit it with some water, no biggie.

The leftover maseca. . .

[​IMG]

The Finished pot of Chili

[​IMG]

Service:

Your call. . . I kept it simple here, because sometimes less is more. You can add cilantro, green onion, jalapenos, crushed crackers/doritos, wth ever you want. For ours, just did crema and cheese with a side of Flaky Biscuits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you like Chili, I can assure you this will NOT disappoint.

2. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Must. make. now....

looks fantastic

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    This WILL happen this weekend......

Thanks Jono......

4. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Makin some Tattrat Chili....
    Damn, the kitchen smells goooood.

I made a few alterations but pretty much stayed to form with Tattrat's directions..... This was the first time I went with the dry rub on the meat.... I put all of the dry ingredients in a gallon Zip bag with the sirloin and tossed the mix.... This was a pretty cool discovery.... Coated all the surfaces quite nicely with little to no residue remaining on the inside of the bag....
    The changes I went with.... Instead of smoked sausage, I went with 3/4 pound of double smoked bacon from Thurn's smoked meats (local family run meat smoker here in Columbus).

Made a fantastic discovery.... I had all of the spices from McCormick's in my cart.... Then went down the ethnic foods isle..... McCormick's were averaging around $7.00 for a 1.5 oz container. In the Mexican isle, the 2 oz spices all were priced at $1.79 a container... How can you beat that.... All the McCormick's went back....

Anyway.... Here's my "ingredients" pic....:D

[​IMG]

And here's my "simmerin" pic....:D

[​IMG]

Gotta say this..... YA Can't Go Wrong With Bacon.....:devil:

Thanks Tattrat..... Keep em coming.....:ihih:

5. TATTRAT

Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    Lookin' good, how did it turn out for you?

6. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Fanfrickintastic......

Wife thought it was the best chili I've made.... Guess the old recipe will be pitched now....

Just got back from an all day run through the hills of southeast Ohio down to Gallipolis and then a hop over to Point Pleasant West Va with a bunch of M/A MOM buds....

All along the trip back, the two of us were thinking about that chili....

Just got in... The Chili's on the stove... And Basmati rice is in the pot..... And will be joined with an ice cold beer very soon....

7. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    #7 iwashmycar, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
    Ive got about 45 minutes left in the simmering process and I am DYING. It smells a-maz-ing in here. From the tastes I have snuck it tastes it as well!

Edit: Almost there!

Here are my pics:

(ground beef if out of frame and in the pan lol)

[​IMG]

and the final simmer:

[​IMG]

8. TATTRAT

Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    Damn, flattering to see folks cooking up my suggestions, lol. From concept to tummy, Took me all of a day so I am glad to see others think it was as decent as I did.

I have never seen pics of folks cooking a TATTRAT inspired dishes! I got a big kick out of it!

9. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Holy cow! That was one of the best things I've ever had. I made this tonight for dinner and did a cornbread in my cast iron skillet to go with it, to die for. The only thing is that I didn't notice until I was already underway that there were no quantities listed for the spices in the rub, or vs/ what should be added later. So I winged it - and it worked! Everyone loved it - Thanks Tatrat, see pic below - yyyuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmm...
    EC6E1D33-1466-4525-AE01-7B2353AD7173-912-000000493EC84429.jpg

10. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Yup.... Sometimes you gotta wing it....

My old chili recipe got pitched when my wife said it was the best chili I've made....:D

11. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    well I am cooking this right now using MMs bacon recipe!!!!!!! I will let you know what everyone thinks later. Wish me well! Well my bgeans will be real tender, I missed adding them in the last 30 minutes:frown2:

12. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Success, everyone loved it.

13. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Resurrecting this old post....

With the fallish weather here in Columbus, I'm making a rather large (8qt.) pot of Tattrat Chili.... Thanks JONO.... The BEST CHILI going...:D

Hope all is good with you....

14. pmsummer

pmsummer Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Semi-retired planner
    Jack Coffee Hays County, The Republic of Texas
    Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
    This looks like a good recipe. I'll have to give it a try!

15. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    That looks awesome, going to try this next.

16. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Got a big pot of Tattrat chili simmerin on the stove right now.....:D

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
  18. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I'm a big fan of Carrol Shelby's chili kit for the spices (which also has the corn flour addition), but I'm absolutely going to nab some of the meat / veg techniques here next time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    To bad I cannot make a copy of that recipe off that post. Sure looks and sounds like a winner! I guess I'll have to copy it down by hand and see if my wife can read my writing well enough to make it for supper. We are always looking for new things to try as we shelter during the pandemic.

20. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    With the fall weather starting to show up here in central Ohio, I'll probably be making another big pot for this weekend...