Mini News Most liked posts in thread: 4-Door Is Providing A Big Sales Boost To Mini USA

1. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0

I'm an R53 over the top anti-everything else MINI fan boy. There, I said it.

Many people prefer the newer models, and some have even dared to slam the R53. It doesn't bother me.

There are basically two extremes in the MINI kingdom: those whose priority is purely performance, and those going purely for the community aspect surrounding the car; most fall somewhere in between but more toward one extreme or the other. There isn't a "better" or "worse", but the R53 group that's into performance has generally been involved since day one, when it was common (actually expected) to bring up another's ancestry, choice of spouse, dragging knuckles, and various chromosomal anomalies and deletions into any discussion on tuning. What's left isn't nearly as bad as what it was, but yes, sometimes it's too in your face, or comes off that way, many of us "know" each other and don't take each other or ourselves too seriously, but I can see how someone coming in would potentially not see that and be turned off. We should do a better of job of letting people get their feet wet before subjecting them to our warped senses of humor.

So yes, we should promote the community aspect more, and try and not let the performance aspect screw that up, which on occasion it does. There are many R56 people totally into performance who have brought a great deal to the boards, same will happen with the F56 people.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    What many of you seem to forget is that BMW is the business of making cars for a profit. If they don't sell they don't make money. Thats the bottom line here.

It is these "mass sold" vehicles such as the 4 door MINI that will provide more money to create halo cars like the GP's of yore. Much like Porsche builds the Cayenne to help pay the cost of things like a GT3.

How many 6 cyl Camaros are sold for every SS version or whatever the halo one is.

Keep that in mind when you keep kicking what MINI does.

Oh yeah, you nattering nabobs of negativism. On top of all, you are chasing new people from M/A. A few people that have tried to show their F56 and mod it too, just get told around here their car is garbage. Think about how much you'd want to be around if what you are constantly berated for your car choice.

3. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    For the last 8 years, MINI has talked about 'growing the brand', meaning selling more cars. They have created models that, in their estimation, would have broader appeal. If their Q1 results are duplicated in Q2-4, they will have sold about 40 thousand cars, which, if I'm not mistaken is about what they were selling 8 years ago.

There's a rule of thumb in the automotive manufacturing industry: a manufacturer with a real dealer network and some advertising dollars can sell at least 10,000 of any model they introduce, meaning that no matter how bad or unpopular a car is, they'll sell 10k of them. MINI is essentially moving forward with 4 models, averaging the barest of minimum in sales. Maybe it's time to for them to take a risk and create a few aspirational models that bring prestige and excitement back to the brand (Superleggera would be a start, Rocketman, if they kept its stone cold mortal cuteness, would also help).

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^^ yup they are selling to soccer Moms and tree huggers that only care about MPG and tech crap. They have sold out and are no longer interested in the driving enthuistes that made the MINI brand so popular so this is no suprise to me.

Glad I have the MINI I want as I will not be buying another one.

5. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    I'd argue that you've got the cart before the horse in your MINI and Porsche analyses: Porsche sells tons of Cayennes because the GT3 creates brand value and prestige. If Porsche didn't have aspirational cars, the sport utes wouldn't sell. They don't make Cayennes so they can sell GT3s, they make GT3s which maintain the incredible brand value of Porsche, so people buy Porsche sport utility vehicles, even though there value isn't as good as their competitors.

That's why it's vital to maintain the brand enthusiasm for MINIs by producing at least one car that has true enthusiast value. Folks that wouldn't otherwise buy an aspirational MINI (like Superleggera, Rocketman) come to love the brand, and purchase the 4 door, despite it offering less value than it's competition. Without an enhanced brand value created by aspirational cars, MINI is an 'also-ran' in the 4-door hatch market (VW sells between 150-200k Golfs per quarter).

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Now, now now....Many of us R53 owners were told over and over how crappy our car was compared to the new R56 when it hit the scene. Didn't bother me one bit. Many of the R56 owners are regulars here, we agree to disagree and the world turns. To be honest I have a hard time telling who owns what anymore. Except for Dave.:cornut:

But, it's a different crowd coming in now, and you're right, we're going to have to be more civilized if they're going to join in. I'm trying....Really, I am....

As these cars get harder and harder to modify, they attract a different demographic. But there are a few out there that come in here with an attitude similar to all of ours in 2002, excited to get into the MINI thing, and yeah, we should encourage them, even if the F56 isn't our thing.

Once they've been around for awhile, I suspect the skin will thicken and we can good naturedly and not so good naturedly take shots at each other, and no one will get hurt. I may not like the F56, but if someone comes in here and mods the crap out of it, I suspect most if not all of us will applaud or at least take an interest. Otherwise sites like these will eventually die as the R53's and R56's gradually disappear.

But your post leads to a great swag idea--picture a T-shirt with this:

Motoring Alliance​
    "NNN" Club​

I'd order one.

7. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    No matter what MINI comes up with if they want to grow sales they need more dealerships. I'm not saying put more in a city that already has one. (although that wouldn't hurt for cities with only one) But there are major population centers with no dealerships.

A nitch car will have people making the drive to buy one or have it serviced. A car that is more main stream won't. When there are alternatives in town why drive an hour or two?

MINI is back supporting some racing in the US. They are getting exposure in TV and movies. But they have to make it so people can get to the car to buy it.

I think if MINI gave us enthusiasts a halo car, like a Superleggera, we'd be in more support. That said we shouldn't bash the whole thing just because they gone one not quite right. Look at Corvette fans. They have had some real trash along the way (C4). But they keep what they have and now better ones have come out.

I will say that unfortunately BMW has been watering down their entire line, the 3/4 series isn't the standard anymore, and MINI may be casualty of that corporate philosophy.

I will support the brand even if I don't personally care for the current offerings because I want it to come around.

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #33 Dave.0, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    This is why America is turning into a bunch of wimps. People need to get some thicker skin and quit crying that someone said something bad about your car already. If you need people to tell your your the best and blah blah blah go call or see your mother.

I have heard my fair share of crap and I don't sit at home whining about why the Internet or any site or fourm dose not like my car or anything else. It's my car so if you don't like it say what you want as, and many have, and I don't care. I have thick skin and I take it.

Maybe people need to look in the mirror and ask themselves. "Am I a crybaby? Would my Father or Grandfather smack me in the back of the head and tell me to quit being a crybaby?"

The world is not all glitter, unicorns, rainbows and "love in's". I have grown to understand everybody does not have to like me, my car, my clothes, music, my hair . (when I had more of it)

This is not bulling or bashing, it's called REAL LIFE so grow up people.

Suck it up buttercup and MOTOR ON!

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Hay Dave....................tell us what you really mean, don't candy coat it.:lol:

10. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    I don't find this surprising. There are a lot of people who wouldn't buy a 3 door due to lack of space, and wouldn't buy a clubman because of the rear door setup.

Now, hopefully this doesn't convince MINI that discontinuing the 3-door is a good thing to do, just because everyone's buying the 4-door.

11. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Be prepared to be underwhelmed. I was...

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    And now that we have gone off the deep end and into waters that are full of nothing but butt hurt we are done.

13. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    Totally expected.

14. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Many of the Classic owners went ballistic over the R53, much worse than what's been said about the R56 or F56. And their points were valid, I get where they're coming from, but the reality is they are two totally different cars from two completely different car manufacturers that share a common name. It doesn't bother me, personally I think it's flattering for the original car, but I see how a classic owner would be irritated by it (I hope to own a Classic someday myself). Many own both and never give it a second thought.

I always wonder how successful the brand would have been if it would have been named something other than MINI. I think the whole spirit of the original really Mini really struck a chord when the 2nd gen MINI came along. The marketing was great, and people bought into it, a whole new community developed, and here we are. The MINI was so approachable by so many--the mod geeks could make a wolf out of sheeps clothing, the quirky folks could customize the appearance to their heart's desire and everyone got it, and it seems so many who are attracted to the car have a bunch of common interests outside of the cars that keep us posting on boards such as these.

VW tried it with the New Beetle, it worked to a degree initially, but to a much lesser degree than what happened with MINI, and it wasn't sustainable. The irony is Beetle is now pushing performance over cuteness, and the car is failing miserably.

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Yea but yours is a special worst MINI. :lol:

16. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Everything between the license plates doesn't look right! But they are selling...

17. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I told an English friend of mine I finally got a British car. An R53 MINI JCW. He said "It's not a real Mini. It's too big. BMW ruined the Mini". We're still friends. He's a car guy when we met he had a TWR XJS and we blasted down the M60 at 150mph.

18. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    This I find very surprising. The 4 doors hatch reminds me more of a cross between a better looking Clubman and a Countryman than the 2 door hatch, and that look just doesn't work for me. I think it goes with the change in demographics that the MINI brand has undergone since 2002.

"Awkward stance" is being kind. The car mags have said much worse, and I have to agree with them.

19. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    I may not have gotten a first gen, but I at least got the best 2nd gen I could.

I've got a feeling the next car will be a Focus ST or another GTI.

20. JackMac

JackMac Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    PA
    Ratings:
    +256 / 0 / -0
    #16 JackMac, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    Just for perspective on this topic, MINI USA sales figures and number of models offered:

2002 - 24,590 (1) Hardtop only
    2003 - 36,010
    2004 - 36,032
    2005 - 40,820 (2) Convertible added
    2006 - 39,171
    2007 - 42,045
    2008 - 54,077 (3) Clubman added
    2009 - 45,225
    2010 - 45,644 (4) Countryman added
    2011 - 40,828
    2012 - 45,111 (6) Coupe/Roadster added
    2013 - 41,915 (7) Paceman added
    2014 - 31,385 (7) Hardtop transition year
    2015 - TBD - (5) 4-door Hardtop added, Clubman, Coupe, and Roadster retired

Has "growing the brand" with more models been an effective strategy to increase sales? It was for a while.