Mini News 4-Door Is Providing A Big Sales Boost To Mini USA

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    4 Door Hard Top, 4 Door Clubman, 4 Door Countryman...

2. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0

I'm an R53 over the top anti-everything else MINI fan boy. There, I said it.

Many people prefer the newer models, and some have even dared to slam the R53. It doesn't bother me.

There are basically two extremes in the MINI kingdom: those whose priority is purely performance, and those going purely for the community aspect surrounding the car; most fall somewhere in between but more toward one extreme or the other. There isn't a "better" or "worse", but the R53 group that's into performance has generally been involved since day one, when it was common (actually expected) to bring up another's ancestry, choice of spouse, dragging knuckles, and various chromosomal anomalies and deletions into any discussion on tuning. What's left isn't nearly as bad as what it was, but yes, sometimes it's too in your face, or comes off that way, many of us "know" each other and don't take each other or ourselves too seriously, but I can see how someone coming in would potentially not see that and be turned off. We should do a better of job of letting people get their feet wet before subjecting them to our warped senses of humor.

So yes, we should promote the community aspect more, and try and not let the performance aspect screw that up, which on occasion it does. There are many R56 people totally into performance who have brought a great deal to the boards, same will happen with the F56 people.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, what he said.

4. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    I can't help but agree with Nathan here...

The slamming of F56 (and even R56) owners needs to stop.

If we're going to be a proper alternative to NAM... we've gotta welcome more people with open arms.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    4 doors are 2 doors too many for any MINI.

6. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    #26 versus, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015

That's the whole reason this place became my go to. Tons of knowledge on NAM but you had to wade past far too many people on their respective soapbox to get to it.

CCT1, I've always found you opinions, even when I didn't agree with them, valid and well reasoned. I think for me what grinds my gears is this overtone that r53 owners are the true torch bearers of the mini spirit and anything after 2006 is an inferior product...AND we're going to remind you of such at every opportunity.

I guess it's the same in every forum, wheel gap on MiniTorque will get you ripped apart. My point is it becomes old, quickly when appears to be so pervasive.

Time to break out the dead horse emoji lol

7. R53Junkie

R53Junkie New Member

Sep 21, 2014
    Server
    Colorado
    Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -0
    #27 R53Junkie, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    I do like the R53 better, but I test drove some 56s and I kind of see the appeal, just not exactly what I wanted from a MINI. I do think it's fair to say that with every new generation a car seems to get further from it's roots. So Classic owners who bash 53 owners for owning the "soft" MINIs and what-not are right. It'll always be Classic owners telling R53 owners who are telling R56 owners who are telling F56 owners that THEY have the real MINI, and the next gen up is nothing but over-weight, watered-down garbage. ;) But I agree, bashing is a bad idea. I don't think we need to be all soft, cuddly, welcoming everyone in with bear hugs and hot tea, but I understand where this is coming from.

SO true. Quite turned off from that forum for that very reason. Not everyone wants to drop $1,200-$3,000 on suspension right off the bat, and not everyone can afford to. But unless you do, you get fried over there.

8. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    4 doors are 2 doors too many for MY MINI.

For the fiancee's... I'd allow it, since she needs the extra room, but doesn't want to give up driving a MINI. The F55/F56 may have dialed back the fun a bit, but the rest of the cars in the compact market are a LOT worse.

She doesn't like it anyway, though. :lol:

My quest is to find her a clubman by the time she hits 100k on her 2010.

9. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    No matter what MINI comes up with if they want to grow sales they need more dealerships. I'm not saying put more in a city that already has one. (although that wouldn't hurt for cities with only one) But there are major population centers with no dealerships.

A nitch car will have people making the drive to buy one or have it serviced. A car that is more main stream won't. When there are alternatives in town why drive an hour or two?

MINI is back supporting some racing in the US. They are getting exposure in TV and movies. But they have to make it so people can get to the car to buy it.

I think if MINI gave us enthusiasts a halo car, like a Superleggera, we'd be in more support. That said we shouldn't bash the whole thing just because they gone one not quite right. Look at Corvette fans. They have had some real trash along the way (C4). But they keep what they have and now better ones have come out.

I will say that unfortunately BMW has been watering down their entire line, the 3/4 series isn't the standard anymore, and MINI may be casualty of that corporate philosophy.

I will support the brand even if I don't personally care for the current offerings because I want it to come around.

10. JackMac

JackMac Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    PA
    Ratings:
    +256 / 0 / -0
    Location is key.

MINI has expanded the dealerships significantly in the US, however sales have not increased at the same rate:

• In 2010, MINI USA sold around 45K cars with approximately 100 dealerships
    • In 2014, MINI USA sold around 31K cars with approximately 120 dealerships

Product is key too. There are more mass-appeal offerings today (i.e the 4 door) along with new F54 Clubman and F60 Countryman next year, which will boost overall sales. Maybe the F56 LCI will bring some welcome changes too.

And there are external factors as well. Oil prices have impacted the demand for small cars, both positive and negative in recent years.

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    The die hard classic guys would say the R53 is a watered down Mini, and they would be correct. The R53 did try to retain the soul of the mini and so did the R56. I use to poke fun at the R56 because well it was fun. But at the end of the day when I drive an R56 it is still Mini, just like the R53. The R56 was more refined just like an R53 is more refined then a classic.
    You can't make a classic in todays world, it won't pass all the regulations. I understand when they designed the F56 they had to comply with regulations. I don't like the styling of the F56 but it is growing on me. My problem is that BMW cut the soul out of the car. I like BMW they have stayed true to there performance roots. The F56 is a nice BMW. I don't mean that in a bad way. It is a good handling car that reminds me of other BMW. But it does not have the soul of a Mini.
    It seems to me someone at BMW thinks being cute and funny is all it takes to be MINI, that are misled.
    If you have a F56 and like your car thats great! Start moding it and show us some pictures, I am interested, I am a car guy. I know F56 owners will come up with stuff we all think is cool. So welcome to the family.
    All I ask is when we are giving each other a hard time about what we drive don't take it personally. Just give it back. You can call my 02 a rattle trap, just smile when you say it.:biggrin5:

12. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Many of the Classic owners went ballistic over the R53, much worse than what's been said about the R56 or F56. And their points were valid, I get where they're coming from, but the reality is they are two totally different cars from two completely different car manufacturers that share a common name. It doesn't bother me, personally I think it's flattering for the original car, but I see how a classic owner would be irritated by it (I hope to own a Classic someday myself). Many own both and never give it a second thought.

I always wonder how successful the brand would have been if it would have been named something other than MINI. I think the whole spirit of the original really Mini really struck a chord when the 2nd gen MINI came along. The marketing was great, and people bought into it, a whole new community developed, and here we are. The MINI was so approachable by so many--the mod geeks could make a wolf out of sheeps clothing, the quirky folks could customize the appearance to their heart's desire and everyone got it, and it seems so many who are attracted to the car have a bunch of common interests outside of the cars that keep us posting on boards such as these.

VW tried it with the New Beetle, it worked to a degree initially, but to a much lesser degree than what happened with MINI, and it wasn't sustainable. The irony is Beetle is now pushing performance over cuteness, and the car is failing miserably.

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #33 Dave.0, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    This is why America is turning into a bunch of wimps. People need to get some thicker skin and quit crying that someone said something bad about your car already. If you need people to tell your your the best and blah blah blah go call or see your mother.

I have heard my fair share of crap and I don't sit at home whining about why the Internet or any site or fourm dose not like my car or anything else. It's my car so if you don't like it say what you want as, and many have, and I don't care. I have thick skin and I take it.

Maybe people need to look in the mirror and ask themselves. "Am I a crybaby? Would my Father or Grandfather smack me in the back of the head and tell me to quit being a crybaby?"

The world is not all glitter, unicorns, rainbows and "love in's". I have grown to understand everybody does not have to like me, my car, my clothes, music, my hair . (when I had more of it)

This is not bulling or bashing, it's called REAL LIFE so grow up people.

Suck it up buttercup and MOTOR ON!

14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Hay Dave....................tell us what you really mean, don't candy coat it.:lol:

15. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    All the "stop Bashing and Bulling" crap is getting old.

People need to grow up or grow a set and stop crying already.

16. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    Hey, my skin's thick enough... I know I own the worst MINI this side of an F56. You don't need to tell me twice. :lol:

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Yea but yours is a special worst MINI. :lol:

18. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    How's this different than the Challenger/Charger platform? If you need 4 doors, well your option is to get the Charger. Just that easy.

C'mon. The business is to sell product. That's all. Ain't no big thing. If you don't like it, I don't mind. It's your money and you can spend it how you wish.

Personally I like the 4 door more than I like the 2 door. But I am not int MINIs target demographic any longer. I'm closer to retirement home than my first home.

But it's easy for me to pontificate. I'm lucky enough to have a sweet looking R53 and a new GTI. First world problems right?

19. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    We have beat this dead horse to death several times. BMW had the bangle butt and everyone hated it. It went away and they started making nice looking cars. The 4 door does look better then the 2 door to me also. The front does not look as long. Some people are just wandering in to MINIs and the new ones are their only choice it's still better then a Camry. I understand some people need a 4 door.
    I stand by what I have said. I think it's not the pick of the litter and I wish people didn't take the joking so serious. And yes I think they have made a wrong turn.................BUT
    A lot of us left the other site because of the BS that went on over there. I don't want MA to turn into the same place. This is a fun site and everyone is helpful. I don't want to piss off anyone before they get to know us, after that it fun to piss off each other. Yes we are the fun and friendly site!:biggrin5:

I through talking about the U.D. (Ugly Duckling) :biggrin5:

Sorry I can't help myself. ITS JUST A JOKE

20. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    The new four door and Country Fails are just in a Ford Escapes. Which is also the marked they are going for with a BMW Jr badge.

Oh and the don't have the cool foot door open thing. :lol: