Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Most liked posts in thread: A basic guide to Spark Plugs.

1. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Here's a suggestion

good stuff, but instead of posting this in multiple threads, write something up for the library.

Matt

2. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Excellent suggestion - Put in the Library Please!

3. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    This is a good posting. Where were you over the years when I was trying to explain this. LOL

A couple of things.

When thinking about a spark plug for performance try to find a listing for a single electrode so you can dial the gap in for your specific engine. When you go the level of choosing a spark plug for performance use learn how to best gap them or the effort in the choice is partly wasted.

Never assume a heat range change from stock....... ever! Start with what came factory than do a proper spark plug reading to determine if a heat range change is warranted. The old charts indicating lean/rich good,etc. really do not apply when changing heat ranges for a performance application spark plug.
    The basic rule gets so many into trouble. It should be written a basic rule of spark plug heat range estimate for advance performance enthusiast.

With advances in the last 10-15 years such as factory ignition controlled ECU's(controlling AFR's via timing perimeters) upper end aftermarket DIS or ignition systems, high end NOS and water, water/meth systems, etc. incorporating ignition retard and delay actuators to allow safely running a better average spark plug in order to allow the best possible combustion temperature to maintain a more consistent power level.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    There is now an article in the Library -- thank you for that -- cross-linked to this thread so we can keep the article clean and tidy but still enable discussion.

If you see questions about this topic (whether here on M/A or elsewhere.....) please feel free to point folks to either.

Here's a quick link to the Library article.

5. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Good reference material, perfect for the library!

I am curious about the 75-100hp step. This might be more accurately expressed in terms of % change from stock hp. Meaning is it the same 75-100hp range for a 115hp stock engine as it is for a 500hp stock engine?

6. czar

czar New Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    The figures I quote are a general rule of thumb, however it still applies regardless of your engines initial stock BHP whether this be 115hp or 500hp.

Also for each individual engine power modification you add, such as those I listed in my guide, will increase cylinder temperature, and the more cylinder temperature you have, the more you need to be looking at your applications spark plug heat range.

More power = more heat.

7. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

When you increase power to an engine monitoring at least your EGT's and watching AFR's to make sure you stay withing predictable combustion temperature range so as not to allow increased heat in the wrong area's. If you are raising the temperatures or introducing induction augmentation changing AFR's by any engine modification then attention needs to be given to adjust to lower them back down. The biggest problem with increased compression is not the heat with regards to spark plugs but the ability of the plug to continue to have a proper kernal and not get bent.

All to often the home shade-tree mechanic assumes what works by the majorities usage and not carefully thought and testing. Finding the best spark plug for any specific end use is not easy nor is it cheap. There is no simple way to guess in the end if you are not diligent in your selective process of changing spark plugs you could end up with this.
    Even the simplest thing as a spark plugs has highly technical consideration.

[​IMG]

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Sooooo.........
    What's this a picture of? Some kind of new Cali spark-plug bong?:lol::lol::lol:

9. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    auh I can tell you 420 reasons why it is not...[​IMG]

lol

The spark plug acted like a fuse so when it melted down the engines monitoring safety switches shut the engine down so no cataclysmic engine damage could occur.

10. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    LOL...... at least 403 reasons!

So...... how did the other three fuses look?:eek:

Of course this had nothing to do with the witches brew of gasoline / nitro-methane / propane, that you run. Right :devil:

Now wait a minute, it can't be from your MINI, it never leaves the driveway.:D

11. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

If there is any anomaly with my engine beyond what should be normal there are redundant devices that will shut the engine off.

I run the stock heat range spark plug in my 02 R53 Ca 92 octane fuel even with all the other "witches brew" fuels and my average MINI engine mods. i.e. reduction SC pulley CAI,header,exhaust etc. As each was added I ran pug readings under load to determine the continuing or changing of the spark plug type and /or heat range.

Are you sure my MINI never leave the "Driveway" ? :ihih:

12. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    LOL, it's not called "Track MINI" or "Freeway MINI" or or or......, and I did see a red moped one of your pic's. Oh yeah, and I've never ever seen it in my neighborhood. So I'm guessing a little, I suppose.

13. john171

john171 Club Coordinator

Jun 13, 2010
    Retired
    PA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Are there any advantages to using the multi-electrode plug, or disadvantages for that matter.
    Nice article, good to see it is in the library, makes it so much easier to find....

14. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    The way I figure it if the factory screws the multi electro plug in I'll continue to use them.

15. yardofbeef

yardofbeef New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What would be the effect of using OEM Cooper plugs in Cooper S (R56) engine?
    (2007 year model if that's important).

16. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Are the heat ranges the same? How about the reach? I'd guess different since you've asked the question. Why would you want to use a plug for another model in your MCS? I'd say don't do it.

17. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

18. FUEGO

FUEGO Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    IT Geek
    DFW Texas
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    FYI - the NGK BKR6EQUP and BKR7EQUP are no longer Iridium tipped. They are now "Laser Platinum" If sticking with an Iridium tip is a necessity you'll need to move to the BKR6EIX and BKR7EIX plugs.

19. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I've been using NGK BKR6EQUP plugs in my MINI since the first plug change I did in 2007. Those plugs have always been platinum, not iridium.

Hope this helps somebody....

20. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    My NGK Iridiums failed, burned up my wires and my S had to be flatbedded to my MINI dealer. They installed OEM plugs [2 years ago] and I've not had a problem since. Of course, all that happened before all the hoopla about the Iridiums not being up to snuff. If I ever change out the OEM plugs, I'll have to go back and find this thread to see what alternatives there have come available in the meantime.