1st Gen R53 Cooper S A/C Light Blinking! New Rad fan!

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by BoostCzaR53, Jun 21, 2012.

1. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Yea yea so this has been sparsely posted and talked about, but none of the threads with common issue have been solved.

I have an 02 MCS, suffered from the bad fan resistor deal, replaced the fan assembly about 3-4 weeks ago, car has ran excellent, and is bone stock. I noticed today with about 90 degree ambient heat with the A/C on the light started blinking and the air went warm until I got moving it worked itself out and blew cold air again.

Ok obvious to me, something in the fan system isnt working right? Got home with A/C running, got out noticed the high speed fan is not on, but the P/S fan is WIDE OPEN! Checked the fuse box for blown fan fuses, nothing blown all fuses intact and working properly. Get back in the car, noticed it is starting to heat up so I shut it down.

Let it cool off for about 10-20 min, start it back up without the A/C running and the radiator fan STILL NEVER cuts on neither low or high speed. But with the A/C switch off, the P/S fan is NOT running. When switched back on the P/S fan immediately runs wide open, and keeps running even after car shuts down (for roughly 1-2min).

I assume, and probably correctly, that the P/S fan system is tied into the high speed radiator fan system, if this is the case, can anyone explain to me or point me in the right direction of why the radiator fan is not switching on at all even with the A/C on? Or why the P/S fan runs wide open with the A/C switched on and continues to run after car is shut off?

Just looking for a few pointers here.

Checklist:
    All fuses good (including all fan fuses).

Radiator fan is only about 3-4 weeks old, and has been working fine.

Power Steering fan is fully operational (just not sure if operational at the correct time it should be).

Fan assembly does not switch on at all even with A/C on at idle.

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    There was a recall/tech issue from MINI put out to change the wiring on the early cars to seperate the PS fan from the rad fan fuse. You might want to see if this was ever done.

As for the rad fan, sounds like another failed fan if the fuse is good.

3. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply, I have heard about the wiring fix to separate them, I will check to see if it has been done.

Another failed fan within only 3-4 weeks? I snagged this one from napa where are you guys getting yours? Is there a procedure to test the fan and see if the resistor pack in it is bad like how the stock ones fail? Even though its warranty for me, id like to confirm a bad fan assembly before pulling it all out.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  5. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    The problem seems to be consistent with weather, hot weather seems to cause the issue. The high speed fan seems to be inconsistently working when the AC is cut on. In cooler weather the AC and high speed fan runs fine!

The hot weather seems to have an effect on the AC light blinking while sitting still and theoretically shutting down the fan and compressor clutch causing hot air to blow until I get moving. But in cooler weather say up to around high 70s low 80s it works fine, compressor stays engaged, high speed fan works and AC is cold, im all smiles then.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    When was the last time the A/C was serviced?

Could be you are low on refrigerant possibly. MINI's do not have a lot of refrigerant in the system. When I had mine recently filled the guy said he had never done a MINI A/C system before and was surprised the specs were in grams, not in pounds. If I remember correctly I paid about 20 bucks total for refrigerant that was sold at $39 lb. Could be that if low on refrigerant the system is cycling on and off.

Just a thought.

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Are you sure the high speed fan is working on those cooler days? Do you hear it running, or are you assuming that since the A/C works OK under those conditions it must be working?

Find the temp switch on the radiator and connect the two wires, the fan should come on - if it doesn't - the fan could be bad - or maybe you just didn't get it plugged in tight. Check to be sure nothing is obstructing the fan blade and that it spins freely.

If the fan runs when you connect the two wires on the fan switch, then it's problably that switch that's bad.

8. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    #8 BoostCzaR53, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
    high speed fan is working in the cool weather for a fact, I have checked it to verify by getting out of the car while it was running to see.

which 2 wires are you speaking of to connect? Everything is already plugged in?

AC has been charged with proper level of R134a, checked the PSI on it myself at work about 3 days ago.

EDIT:

The coolant temp sensor/switch controls fan speed, ignition timing and fuel as well as the interior coolant temp gauge, which the coolant temp gauge is working properly. If the sensor gets grounded out the gauge will immediately go to full hot and default action is to peg the high speed fan on wide open which is not happening at all!

9. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    This issue turned out to be ANOTHER bad fan assembly.....good motor bad relay!