1st Gen R53 Cooper S a/c problem

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by MCS02, Sep 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Hi
    I hope someone can help. Last night my A/C quit. I was driving home on the highway the A/C was blowing cold; my son told me he was cold. I turned off the A/C (fan to off), it started to get hot so I turned the fan back on. The air never got cold again. Today I just had time to do a quick check, fuses look good and I unplugged the relay to make sure it was plugged in good all seemed ok.
    When I turn on the a/c the green light comes on but the car does not idle up, I can’t hear the compressor kick in (it may be but I cant tell), and the radiator fan does not come on.
    The radiator fan and power steering fan are both 6 months old and do come on once the car gets to running temperature so I don’t thank it’s the fan.
    I don’t think its low on refrigerant because it happened so fast, but could be.
    Sorry for the long post.
    Thanks Lee

P.S. 02 CooperS
    The gnomes have stolen my brains I hope the flying monkeys haven’t taken my R134

2. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Engage the P-brake, start the car, pop the hood, stand near the compressor side, have an assistant turn the AC on, if you can hear the compressor working and can see extra vibrations of the motor, the compressor is good, so have the refrigerant checked. If you’re very observant you can see the clutch kick in. If when the AC is turned on/off you don’t see or hear an operational difference, the compressor clutch has failed. The fact the loss of cooling capability was abrupt, sounds like the compressor clutch.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Thanks for the help. It looks like the clutch is not working. Do you know if I can replace just the a/c clutch or do I have to get the hole compressor. From what I can see it is going to be a pain to get to.
    Thanks again for the help
    Lee

4. K5Cruiser

K5Cruiser New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you have the automatic climate control? Are you sure the A/C is actually on?

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    No I do not have the automatic climate control. I get the green light in the a/c button and the blower fan comes on. The radiator fan does not turn on and the clutch does not engage. I plan on checking to see if its getting power to the clutch.