A Car People Would Line up For

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Minidave, Oct 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    That would be a very cool project. So basically you take the FWD Honda powertrain, and install it as a mid-engine configuration in the MINI making it a RWD car, much like a Renault R5 Turbo? Very interesting. You could even make a nice frunk for the MINI.

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Exactly. I think the front trunk would be pretty filled with gas tank, battery and such....I think it could be a fun, not too expensive project.

I just heard that a consortium of investors bought out the city's interests in the Heartland Park track and it will be open again next season!

3. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Looking out on the Interwebs, I found this site about building a mid-engine R53. Axis Of Oversteer: This Mid Engine Mini will eat your Porsche....

But they are using a MINI engine and making it a tubeframe silhouette MINI for track use only, rather than using a MINI bodyshell that can be used for street or track.

There are no recent updates on the site, perhaps the project stalled?

Looks like a lot of room back there for an engine

[​IMG]

4. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    The RMW RX-1 is just about finished, and it looks ten times better than that...

https://www.facebook.com/RCIAB

The project you're referring to has had many stops and starts, it's kind of being done on the fly. They're back at it again after a 2 year hiatus. It won't be anywhere near the quality of the RX-1, not on the same page, not even in the same book.

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I've been following the RMW story, and while I appreciate it for what it is - an all out racecar - mine would be more of a fun street project. And my budget would be WAY less than it would cost for wheels tires and brakes for that thing!

My idea for using a Honda motor is simply availability of aftermarket hop up stuff like turbos and tuning resources, plus availability of engines and cost of same.

Doing it with a Cooper S motor would be fun too

But I think I can do it as well or better with a Honda motor for way less money.

It's all just speculation at this point, one of many little projects I'd like to do in my little shop to keep me busy.

6. clm412

clm412 New Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That would be amazing if it met your requirements. The interior reminds me of a spyker.