A couple of newb ?'s

Discussion in 'MINI' started by OldBlue, Sep 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. OldBlue

OldBlue New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Die Shop Coordinator
    Cleveburb, OH
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone. New MINI owner here. I have a couple of questions that I have not been able to find the answer for by using the forum search function.

1. Is there a way that you can find out when your car was made and get a listing of all the options it came with?

2. How do you get the Bluetooth function to work to pair with my phone? I don't think it's set up for it now, so I'm assuming I need to buy something to get it to work. Is this something that I have to go back to the dealer for?

Love the car! I'm sure there will be many more questions to come, but these are the first two!!

Thanks! :Thumbsup:

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I can answer #1

Production date is on a plaque located inside the driver side B pillar door opening. As to the options the car was delivered with contact MINI at 866-ASK-MINI with the last 7 characters of the VIN.

3. OldBlue

OldBlue New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Die Shop Coordinator
    Cleveburb, OH
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Nathan.

Anybody able to answer #2?

4. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Try using the "search" thingy :D below the MA shield. You might find a thread.

Mark

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure that the car came with the "bluetooth" option? If not than you can install this.

NewMINIStuff.com

That is what I did and love it.

Jim

6. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    (Retired) EHS & Quality Systems
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    mini.usa owner lounge

Set yourself up at the mini.usa site owner's lounge. All your manuals are easy to retrieve there.
    "Bluetooth Manual for MINIs Without Navigation System"
    or
    "Bluetooth Manual for MINIs With Navigation System"

Also, Google let's us know about this other forum's informative thread

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Jim, what was that worth $$$ landed here in the US? Looks very interesting:Thumbsup:

Mark

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
  9. OldBlue

OldBlue New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Die Shop Coordinator
    Cleveburb, OH
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I did! That's the reason I asked the questions, because I couldn't find the answers I was looking for!:smilewinkgrin:

I am ASSUMING (hate doing that!) that it has a bluetooth option. It has the phone buttons on the wheel and the radio, but maybe I'm making an assumption I shouldn't. I just like the idea of having my phone integrated into the car. How do I know for sure that it will work? Do I have to go back to the dealer? Please tell me I don't have to go to them! :D

Thanks! I did download the manual there. I will go the the Mini Lounge and check out more of the manuals there as well.

Thanks for the help so far!

10. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    You can also call the toll free MINI USA number (I don't have the number handy), give them your VIN number, and they can tell you what was on your MINI when it left the factory. The dealer can do the same thing. :)

11. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    The steering wheel comes standard with those buttons.

Way to tell is to turn your radio on and choose the button, which one it is eludes me now, which you can choose the 'Aux' the 'CD' or 'Tuner' view.

IF you have bluetooth there will be a Icon for it there

Went through a similar exercise myself

12. OldBlue

OldBlue New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Die Shop Coordinator
    Cleveburb, OH
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    There is not an icon there, so I guess I don't have it. Is it something that can easily be added, or is it best left to the dealer if it is even possible to do?

13. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I didn't check that option as I figured, although did not verify, that it would be pretty ridiculous MINI money to go through dealer

Ended up getting a bluetooth ear piece and have experimented with the bluetooth through my GPS (my current Motorola handset does not work that well with the Garmn but have reports that a iPhone works great)

14. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    As I remember mine was around $200.00 or so once all was said and done. The one I have is the 99 pound one. It was a bit more then that when I got it, but there are newer models out there now. Install was a long day for the R56, but not that hard. Makes all the buttons on the WFSW work, just like OEM. I like it.

Jim

15. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Mine has the MFSW, with all the buttons too, which I did for the cruise control. The bottons did not work until I installed the kit I showed you. I saw the kit on Motoring File, prior to buying my MINI, and it was cheaper then the factory version, so I went that way. Just having the buttons does not mean bluetooth is in the car.

Jim

16. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Mark, mine is the one for 99 pounds. It was a tad more when I ordered, but came in around $200.00. Have you seen the new audio upgrade they have now?

NewMINIStuff.com

Jim

17. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Setting up the BT is fairly simple on cars it is installed on. You use the stereo button where the PHONE option is available (not sure without running out to car and looking) which of the two it is.

You have to set a PW on the phone, then enable the BT. Then set the car to search for a BT signal. Once you find it, it will ask for the PW, which you enter, and then you are connected.

I did mine in a parking lot in about 3 minutes. It is relatively simple to do and you can have multiple items installed.

18. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    But... I don't think multiple items will work at the same time, correct? Say 2 BT phones. Now I don't mean talking at the same time though, but can the system switch between BT phones if both are in the MINI at the same time? My dealer didn't think so.... I didn't get a definitive answer. Just wondering.:D

19. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    I don't think you could talk at the same time. I have only had one installed at a time, but it creates a separate entity for each device.

I don't think I am talented enough to use 2 at once... :lol:

20. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Actually......
    The factory BT system in the MINI is pretty cool how the radio volume shuts off when a call comes in or goes out when my I-phone is paired and plays though the speakers.

When my wife rides with me, and she gets a call, it's through her phone direct even though her phone is loaded in the BT memory. Apparently only one phone can be paired even though both are logged in the BT memory. For her to get the BT call, I need to completely shut off my phone and let hers get paired. It sure would be nice if it could switch over to the phone receiving the call automatically. But it apparently cannot.