Entertainment Electronics 2nd Gen A Pillar Tweeter Option Advice?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by TGS91, May 19, 2009.

1. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I have a 07' MCS with the stock 6 speaker stereo. Next on my mod list is to change out the speakers and maybe add a sub w/ amp.

Many of the speakers that fit the front door spots come with a 1" tweater and crossover.

Thought I had was to get the A Pillars that are made for the Premium system with the tweater hole already molded into it to replace my non molded ones.

Anybody do something like that? I kinda shudder to think what BMW charges for A Pillars

Or has someone installed by cutting hole in the non molded A Pillar? Results? Words of advise?

(for those still checking NAM I apologize for the duplication)

Thanks

2. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I think the a-pillars are $100ish. Not bad actually. I put a set of Polk SR6500's in an '07 and we put the a-pillars in.....looked stock though I'd do something diff for my own car.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The pillar covers are not very expensive

Left A Pillar, not hi fi, not anthracite Part # 51-43-2-752-997 Pelican Parts list is 24.75

Hi fi version of same part is 35.00

4. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Nathan,

To clarify

Hi-Fi version has molded opening for tweeter and non Hi-Fi is what I have (no opening) ?

Thanks

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  6. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    "old fashioned R53 owner" ?

You take that jaloppy up hill both ways to school ?;)

7. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    IMO, just use the upper and lower door positions for your tweeter and mid-bass drivers. The human ear is not very good at discerning sounds on a vertical axis, so putting the tweeters in the stock door locations is a decent solution, especially if you have time alignment in your setup.

8. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you on the vertical axis

What got me thinking about this was three-part

one-my brother offered me a pair of 6.5" Infity Refernece's with external tweeter and cross over for free. I'd just have to buy maybe amp and the 5"ers for the front (Not sure if I'm gonna tackle the backs on the first pass) Granted doing this adds to the cost for the replacement pillars (about $70)

two-I had a loaner 09' just a cooper with the stock tweeter mounted in the A Pillar and even with the crap BMW speakers it sounded pretty good and I don't like the idea of drilling a new hole in the doors or the exisitng A Pillar (see below)

three-on my old truck I had a set of Kenwood's with the external tweeter which I mounted around the door handle (about 3/4 of the way up the door) and I swear my ears where gonna bleed from music I played loud with allot of cymbal tracks! I learned to ratchet back the high end on the head unit but there were times that it pleasantly let me know their power :devil:

Choices, Choices...........

9. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    In my '07 MCS I used a nice 28mm soft-dome home-audio tweeter in the upper front door location since it had a simliar 3-ish inch mounting flange as the stock full-range. You can fit at least 6" woofers in the lower front doors, I used a 6" Morel woofer and adapted with a flange.

The R56 Hi-Fi option [once broken-in] is definitely the best OEM stereo from MINI to date, even though it's still not great. That said you still don't need the a-pillar tweeter unless you like the look or want to use a 3-way front stage [tweeter in a-pillar, 2" or 3" midrange in upper door and 6" woofer in lower door].

I'm sure the Kenwood tweeters you had were utter crap. For so many years car audio speakers were laughably horrid. It brings back bad memories of chain-saw MB Quart titanium tweeters that would stab your ears with resonance at the slightest volume. *shivver*

FWIW, the rear speakers are standard 6x9s, which are cake to replace [much easier than the R53!]. Just remember to rip out the tweeters and use them as bass only otherwise you'll trash your front stage imaging [unless you don't care].

Cheers,
    Ryan

10. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Ryan,

I like your idea of tweeter in top door opening and woofer in bottom. Refinement might be a 6" to 6.5" woofer/mid-range combo?

On the rears I recall a lengthy post on NAM about reversing the front for back outputs from the headuniit because the OEM setup had basically no bass Hz going to to the rear outputs. Is that for R53's only? From your post it sounds like you did a straight change out of crap OEM 6X9's for something better. Correct?

11. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    The pre-amp signal swapping is for the standard stereo R56's. You'll have to yoink the data from the thread over on NAM to get the specifics. The rear speakers are indeed standard automotive 6x9s; a very straightforward swap. I put 6x9 "subwoofers" in mine.

12. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Dat's what I got-Std R56

Thanks!

13. loud9266

loud9266 New Member

May 21, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    how difficult is it to replace the reaer speakers?
    ive heard that the rear seat must be removed.

14. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    It's easier than changing the oil. The rear seats practically fall out! :D Of course I've taken enough of them out that it's easy for me. Basically you remove the latch housings by yanking them out, then yank the seat bottom out. From there you unbolt/unclip the seat backs. After that the side panels covering the speakers just unclip from their tree-fasteners. From there it's a cakewalk.

15. loud9266

loud9266 New Member

May 21, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    thanks alot i may try it now

did you make it to the DT spring clean up party?
    it was my first event had a great time

16. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    Didn't make it this year, I was busy sweating blood and tears in the workshop starting my latest project. I didn't know you were in the Detroit area! Glad you had a good time. I'm sure I'll see ya around. :D