Brakes Idea 1st Gen Most liked posts in thread: A possible different bigger brake idea and, Meth Injection and more

1. Whine not Walnuts

Whine not Walnuts Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    Somewhere either here or on NAM I read where the GP2, which is the same as a 135i, are a couple of MM bolt spacing off but the guy reamed the hole out a little .

At the end of the day this was more of a low budget upgrade option. Thinking the GP2s would require 18" wheels.

2. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    Anybody know the pressure differences between the Gen1 and Gen2 systems?

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Brembo’s are always better then Wildwoods period. Ever see a professional race / track car with Wildwood brakes........ nope.

Wildwood’s are more of a “fashion” brake. If Willwoods were any good I am sure at least one of the many car manufacturers would use them bet they don’t. The all use Brembo’s for a reason, the work the best.

I will be upgrading to Brembo’s soon with the larger rotors and they bolt right up to my R53.

4. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    Well nothing but the best for the Mistress but what about somebody that has a Bitch, they might not want to spend that money on her.

To me it is going to come down to the master cylinder pressure for the everyday track wannabe. On the Gen1, IMO the brembo even with a larger rotor might not be as good as the Wilwoods with the right pads and 294 rotors. And the latter is cheaper if you buy the Wilwood kit without the rotors but with the brackets to mount onto the Gen1 hubs. I see those Wilwood kits for $750 whereas the cheapest Gen2 Brembos with rotors I have seen are a set that Dustin has at ALLMAG. Now I cannot tell from the Wilwood kit what calipers are getting as they normally have three different piston sizes.

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Great thread.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Interested also.....

7. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    The one thing with Wilwood is that you can pull the part number up and get good information on the piston sizes. On Brembo that does not appear to be the case. I have spent several hours trying to determine whether the calipers from other makes of cars will work on the MINI. There are Brembos out there that might work but you can never find the information on what the piston size is and after figuring out today that the Gen2 JCW Brembos don't have any more piston area than the R56 oems I look at the pictures and just think to myself there is no way in hell those things have decent size pistons.

Allot of this reminds me back when a carpet salesman was telling me that Dupont Nylon in his carpet was so much better than regular nylon. He even had a marketing handout that showed the Dupont stuff being a whole lot thicker than the other nylons out there. "Our 6-6 Nylon is so much better." I got thinking about this and realized that nylon is a hydrocarbon and that 6 is the atomic number of carbon. Did more digging and Dupont had a special patent as their 6-6 had 2 carbon atoms in the molecule of their nylon where the others had only 1. He came in a couple of days later and when I hit him up with "don't give me this shit that one more carbon atom is going to make your nylon SOOOOOO much thicker than the other stuff", he just turned around and left.

So is BMW blowing smoke up our butts with those Brembo calipers being so much better and charging an arm and a leg for them?

8. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    It's an interesting idea and seems cost effective with an initial $300 price tag. If you have the time, and you can make the brackets yourself, it will be cheap and you'll have something no one else has. That's cool, if that is your goal.

I'm assuming that your R52 doesn't have the JCW brakes and you're looking to improve what you have for normal street use. If you want the best bang for the buck improvement in stopping power, buy the R56s calipers, these are really cheap and you get the larger rotor, and buy a set of G-Loc GS-1 pads. This will probably cost less money, bolts right on, and performs better.

9. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0

WHAT??? You will be "upgrading to Brembos soon"???? OMG...does that mean you are currently using those God-awful Wilwoods?

10. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    Quite simple for the same reason you upgraded to Gen2 Brembo for your Gen1, the itch.

11. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I have Wilwood on one car, stock on the other two. One with Akebono pads and stainless lines. Difference? Wilwood car has a much better feel, but it gets hot like the others when driving in the mountains with weight in the car. I had some pretty significant fade once in Colorado. Since then, I've pretty much treated those brakes like they are stock and avoid to push it. Came with the car, look bling, easy to service and are a bit lighter than stock, so I am ok with the brakes. Would not buy another set.

I may do R56 brakes on one of the other cars, but TSW brakes for my current Wilwood car may move the Wilwoods to that ride. TSW seems to be less bling but more bang. Brembo is far too expensive for what you're getting. There' sa reason more IMSA cars run on AP Racing than Brembo... only those who have direct factory links with that brand are running them on the race track. There seems to be no performance difference between AP and Brembo. And yes, never seen a Wilwood car in any racing series of note.

12. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    What size pads you have on the Wilwoods, 6's or 8's?

13. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I have no idea. had to look it up:
    padtype=7816
    6.36 square inch

They are the ones that fit. 11.75 rotors with the Dynapro calipers. Pretty much the standard kit that fits any size wheel. They are equipped with the cheaper rotors, too. Last year I replaced those with the cheaper version again, because the next step up with different shaped vanes is 3x the price and I doubt there'll be much of a difference. Nothing like the massively thicker TSW rotors would give me.in terms or heat management. But, for normal driving, they are fine. The pads that came wiht the car when I got it were extremely aggressive - sounded like sand was on the rotors every time I stopped. No surprise the rotors were below spec when I checked.

[​IMG]

it's this kit minus the curved vane and slotted fancy rotor feature. Rest identical
    https://www.wilwood.com/brakekits/BrakeKitsProdFront?itemno=140-8740

14. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    I have posts in two different places and don't remember what I said where, but I did note once that I thought 7812/16 that are around 6" (16 is thicker but same surface area) would heat up quicker and therefore probably fade quicker.

I have looked at thicker calipers but IMO the 1.25 that Way and others may have will push the wheels out to the point that if you are lowered they will start to rub. I will ask Way over on NAM his thoughts.

15. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Way can always come back to M/A, now that NAM and M/A are "friends" again.

16. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    exit I70 on a 8% downhill grade from 75mph to a stop sign, two people and lots of stuff in the car. It just got soft. Likely aged Brembo fluid to blame. Haven't been able to repeat it.

17. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

I for one do not want Way back ? He has his place over on the NAM and should stay there.

Also he is cheap and will not pay vendor fees here.

18. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I guess that's my point, regular fluid changes and you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on brake parts. It's clearly different if you're going to track the car regularly......

19. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Like where you are going here... I'm speaking out of turn in the sense I have no research or suggestions. I wonder if we look at other hot rod cars (SS which is a holden, Subaru WRX, R32.. etc) brakes will those work. That could be a pretty inexpensive alternative. Wonder if we could figure out a "brake" crossover chart similar to how we had Wheel fitment charts in the past.. hmm..

20. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    With some brackets or some filing, can probably make allot of other calipers work. I did find a GM caliper comparison chart on piston sizes and any Brembo type they have has piston areas in the 8 square inch neighborhood that is double the size of the JCW/Cobalts of 3.5. I would not want to try maintaining pressure on those with the Gen1 master cylinder system.