Most liked posts in thread: A terrible experience with German Master Tech in Bend, OR

1. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I agree. As the manager of a small computer repair shop I get that kind of complaint all the time. The difference is that if you're coming to me for help, you're paying for not just the part (that I have to buy and get shipped), but my time, my rent, my salary, and most of all, my expertise. If you could have done the job yourself, you shouldn't have come to me.

And yes, big companies that make millions of dollars can easily afford to sell things for less than us little guys that don't. No surprise there. We don't get to buy in bulk, or have our own brands or warehouses full of stuff ready to ship to 100 different branches.

Sorry, slightly unrelated rant, but that bugged me when I read the OP as well.

2. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    It costs rent for the building, it costs to get the filter shipped, it costs to pay the mechanic's salary, it costs to pay insurance, it costs to keep the lights on, it costs to have water for the bathroom.

$40 seems a rational price to pay an expert in a small shop to do a cheap repair.

Could it be cheaper? Sure. But consider that the price of that filter is $9 to the shop, plus probably another $7 to have it shipped to that shop. So the filter is already $16. Now add a 25% markup on the original $9 to cover the time it cost to order the part, and to make a reasonable profit and it's $18.75. Now pay a technician $20 an hour $5 to move the car in, pop your hood and swap the filter (I'm assuming 10 minutes work for math's sake and to include the check-in time) and you're at $23.75

Now that's assuming that you're paying a reasonably salaried person to do that, not a master mechanic or a newbie. It also doesn't account for how long it took someone to check in your car into the garage, or the check out time, or the cost of the overhead of running the shop.

Most of those latter charges get tacked on above the hourly rates that are paid to the technician (hence the $70-$100 per hour). So while the Tech gets $5 from the company to install that filter on their behalf, the company will tack on another hypothetical $7~10 to that to cover the overhead.

So now it's at $28.75 ~ $38.75 to reasonably expect to pay an expert for a $9 air filter swap. There's a lot of other factors that can drive that price up as well, especially for a small place.

Now a big place like Jiffy Lube is going to pay the techs less, and is going to buy the filters in bulk so shipping will cost less as will the per-part cost. So if you're paying $28.75 to Jiffy Lube, that means that more of what you're paying is profit to the company.

Small shops make less profit than big ones, and do less volume, so to offset their income loss they often charge more.

I'm not saying that that the shop you went to might have been overpriced. I'm saying that it's a delicate balance for us little guys.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Zapski next time my confuser needs new rings or a walnut blasting I'll look you up. I like doing business with the little local guys. :Thumbsup:

4. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Bummer, sorry you picked the wrong guy for PPI, lesson learned.

What bothers me is when people pick apart mechanics pricing. You can not compare DIY cost to having a professional shop do work. If you could find a shop to sell and install an air filter for 9 bucks, I wouldn't use them. Not saying his prices were good but you can't expect a professional to do work at what it would cost you.

5. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    You always pay for what you get...you don't always get what you pay for. I always like to pay the guy that does the work, a.k.a. family shops. I don't like dealing with big corporations. For small shops, SERVICE and standing behind their work are qualities I look for...not necessarily price. Very cheap work is rarely good and good work is rarely cheap.

6. t955152

t955152 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I like family shops as well. But i think most of you guys are getting the wrong message out of this thread lol. I paid $340 up front to do a pre-purchase inspection, is that cheap? no. I trusted the shop because of the yelp reviews plus I had no other better choices as I am not familiar with the area. A pre-purchase inspection for exotics at exotic dealership cost around $250~$300. I am paying $340 for the work therefore I believe it must be some good work, but again it proves me wrong. Expensive work isn't always good and I am glad I didn't let them do the rest of the work.

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Yeah... I most generally do a quick internet search on any company I consider doing business with..... looking at reviews and such..... I also use the court system to search for public records on civil cases... This is probably my best information tool....

The old idiom "Buyer Beware" and "A fool and his money are soon parted".....

Combine the two for a new idiom.... "Need some parts? Find a fool and use his money"

Sorry you went through this.... Hopefully things will turn around for you with your MINI...

8. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Time for a bit of comic relief: I was in mom and pop retail for 25 years. One young fellow placed a special order for an 80+ dollar item. My margin on it was about 25%. I called him to report it's arrival and as he walked away with his new toy and I closed the cash register he turned and with a smile told me I'd just made 80 bucks. Ignorance is thriving beyond all estimates.

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    As for apparently missing some items, I wonder if the dealer that had it had done some serious steam cleaning of the engine and the coolant and power steering "leaks" were cleaned up and only showed up after an extended drive?

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    What I was saying is that the person/dealer who was selling the car may have steam cleaned the engine bay......who was selling the car?

11. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Earl's Frozen Yogurt, Used Minis, and Video Tape Rental,LLC.

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I am very sorry to hear this about a shop I have been doing business with for years. This is unlike any experience I have ever had and I have not heard from anyone having this kind of bad experience either.

I can't offer any rebuttal for your experience, but I can say with all confidence that they will continue to get my business.

Sorry your visit to Bend couldn't have had a better outcome.

13. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    ^^^ I totally agree...

14. t955152

t955152 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    please read again. you misunderstand what I said. I never said $9 to change the air filter/cabin filter. I said $9 is the cost of filter. Normally mechanics charge $70~$100 per hour. For those who have done the air filter change or know how to do it will know it takes maximum 5 min to do it. And that is just an example for one of the items he charge. Why didn't you comment on the spark plug or brake pads pricing?

15. t955152

t955152 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    thank you Metalman!

16. t955152

t955152 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I don't think any MINI dealer in USA will help you do engine steam cleaning. They usually try to spot as many things as possible so that they can charge you to get if fixed. I brought it in internally because I wanted them to replace my front control arm bushings. It sounds like you know Tim Morris personally. I am pretty sure he will have his own side of the story when you meet with him. Anyways, I wish the car wasn't in Bend, OR, otherwise I would have brought it to an official MINI dealer for a better and cheaper PPI.

17. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I think I've been there.

18. t955152

t955152 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    no. I have some photos from dealer on the engine bay, it doesn't seem like it's been cleaned at all. this is not a pre-owned certified MINI, it's from a private dealership.