ABF / Mynes Redline Time Attack Ca. Speedway 5/23/ 2010

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by maxmini, Jun 5, 2010.

1. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    #1 maxmini, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2010
    I spent the day with the ABF /Mynes guys at California Speedway where they had another good day with a first place in Street Tire FWD and a second place in the Super Modified FWD. I thought you might enjoy some photos of the event and participants.

Randy

The ABF / Mynes pit area .

[​IMG]

Stock R - 56

[​IMG]

And not so stock , R - 53 :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

R- 56 on track

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clint made up a ton of time on the car in front of him . They were using the " roval " course which is really not to the mini's liking as it is lade up of turn 1 , the front straight , turn 2 and most of the back straight of the NASCAR track. One of the Sumer mods was hitting 200 MPH :)

[​IMG]

This series is really becoming quite serious with a good bit of factory participation as well as a growing number of very heavy hitters from the tuning world .

Nissan was well represented .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More GT-r's in one place than I have ever seen .

[​IMG]

Mazda

[​IMG]

Subaru

[​IMG]

Cobb tuning is a big hitter here .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and of course it is a big deal for the various tire companies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now THIS is a diffuser .

[​IMG]

These guys really go for it .

[​IMG]

Tire barriers don't give that much .

[​IMG]

Hardware companies are starting to sign on as well .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Average pre grid

[​IMG]

grid

[​IMG]

Thats it from the event .

Randy

2. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Awesome Randy - thanks for the photos! Looks like a good time - glad to see the ABF/Mynes cars doing very well and consistent.

3. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Good stuff Randy, thanks for the share.

4. mike@MynesTuned

mike@MynesTuned New Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yep, both cars are running strong and turning in very consistent times. The Drag Car is good power-wise, just need more tweaking in the suspension department.

The R56 JCW shattered its previous Street Class record by nearly two full seconds... The time to beat now is 1:58.049 :)

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Nice pic's Randy, thanks!

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Randy, thanks for posting these pictures. I had no idea Time Attack had grown so large and was attracting so many marques, tuners and tire companies. Frankly, it's not a series I follow but will try to work it in now.

Great to see the MINI's out there too. Their success can only help to draw others to compete.

7. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    #7 maxmini, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
    Not a problem , my pleasure . Actually one one of the top teams , Scion , did not make this event. Chris Rado drives this INSANE machine with over 700 WHP.

[​IMG]

Here it is leading the ABF mini. With double the HP i guess that is to be expected :)

[​IMG]

8. Newbs49

Newbs49 New Member

May 23, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the pics. Time attack out west must really be growing compared to the east coast. Nice job.

9. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Time Attack is somewhat of an outgrowth of Drifting . Both were big in Asia and came to the West Coast first before migrating east. The funny thing is that the time attack type of event has been big in Europe but under the name of " Tuner Challenges ". We attended the 12th annual 3 years ago at Hockenheim so they have quite a head start .

Here is a link to a lot of photos from that event as well as the Drift Championship which is held the same weekend. . Some very unusual cars over there .

Randy

Here is a tease

[​IMG]

this is the entire thread

M7 at Hockenheimring - motoring|underground

10. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Thx for all the pics Randy :cornut: Yep some insane looking stuff there :eek6: Congrats to ABF/Mynes :Thumbsup: Keep it up guys!

11. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I found some more photos from the Redline Time Attack .

Enjoy,

Randy

This was one of the more well sorted rides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now THIS is a wing .

[​IMG]

Carbon fiber goodness :)

[​IMG]

The ABF Mini , ST class points leader and winner this weekend.

[​IMG]

The ABF modified entry. Sorry about the blurry shot but Dez was in the approaching 170 mph at this point :)

[​IMG]

Part of the CObb crew

[​IMG]

Well prepped rides .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First GT-r I've seen with a color changing paint job. It looked blue from the other side LOL

[​IMG]

Basic black works as well .

[​IMG]

A prime example of a West Coast time attack car. It's getting serious :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a few more i can put up later to show you why there are fewer cars by the end of the event :(

12. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    :O a Mini that can go 170?! No way, it would be undrivable!

13. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I thought that was a bit on the high side but that is what Dez said so i took his word for it . Then today i was watching some video taken during the super session which was shot from a GTR. There was a view from the car as it was heading into turn two following two other cars . All three were going at the same speed and the driver of the GTR makes the statement that " we are doing about 170 now ". One of those two cars in front of him ? The MINI :) Guess Dez had a pretty good feel for his speed after all .

Randy

P.S what about that CF wing on the Subbie Tuls ? :Thumbsup:

14. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Like to see his in car data log of 170.....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

15. Mrsideways

Mrsideways New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -1
    I second that request. Our 465whp 911 GT2 only got to 179mph on Daytona and it has some pretty serious advantages over the mini in the world of aerodynamics. And I think Daytona is a longer time at wide open throttle then Calclub. Now the GT2 was on street tires so our exit out of the bus stop wasn't as quick as it coulda been. Things start to progress pretty slowly at that speed and you need a lot of power to overcome aero. Weight is pretty meaningless at that pace. I'd believe low 160's.... What was Billy's NSX getting to last year on the straights?

16. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Guys I am just telling you what I heard from the paddock.The car in question has just under 400 hp and weighs 2100 lbs but has the aero of a brick so who knows really ? I mean if you beleive 160's is possible , is it really worth even doubting 170 ? I was not claiming a " record " or anything like that as there are too many of those floating around already .

Randy

17. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Congrats to ABF/Mynes :cornut: Great stuff

18. maxmini

maxmini New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    A few more pics from the Time Attack

Randy

These last few will give you some idea of how hard these guys are " going for it " . There were two cars coming out a bit banged up on trailers as we arrived earlier in the day. Here are a few more of the casualties.

Some very expensive smoke here .

P1010011.jpg

This one made a big BANG on the back straight and coasted into the pits VERY quiet .

P1010012.jpg

I posted this one earlier . He said he was about 1 expensive inch too close to a tire wall .

P1000933.jpg

And one of the most dreaded of situations , fire .

P1010008.jpg P1010007.jpg P1010006.jpg

19. mike@MynesTuned

mike@MynesTuned New Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Not really sure if the Red MINI was going 170MPH fast, but it was fast enough to pass the Berk 135i on the outer bank of the straight away (and everyone at the track knows that 135 is not a slouch by any means).

From what i've gathered, the July 4th weekend RTA at Willow Springs is going to be one heck of a show... with car show, model contest, drag event, Super Session (wheel to wheel racing)...

What are the chances of the Red MINI running a good time at Time Attack and turn around and run 10's in the 1/4 mile?!?! :cornut:

20. Mrsideways

Mrsideways New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -1
    #20 Mrsideways, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010

We'll the difference from 160-170 is actually fairly large. FWIW at sebring our 911 GT3 gets to 148mph. Our 911 GT2 gets to 153mph. The hp at the ground difference between the two is over a 100whp and near 200ft/lbs of torque. Yet only results in a 5mph difference in top end. At Daytona our GT2 as said before was getting to 179mph... GTR with the swisher kit (and pro driver) was getting to IIRC 183 with 720whp. So read into it what you want on Porsche vs nissan AERO, but 300whp extra yielded only 4mph. It's diminishing returns rapidly as the mph increases like that. There is Math one can do to figure this out. It's not exactly rocket Science. All you need is Coefficient of drag, Gearing/tire height and a torque curve and you can figure it out.

Anyone got a link to the incar video?