2nd Gen R56 Cooper S About those calipers?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by kent kanipe, Apr 26, 2013.

Tags:
  1. kent kanipe

kent kanipe New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Retired
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Ok, what temps would a caliper have in a typical track event? The paint I am considering is good to 900 degrees. Does powder coat need to be high temp as well? In high temp powder coat our local shop has only two colors neither of which I want. Will standard powder coat hold up on the track? Should I be looking for another shop? My first preference is powder coat. Thanks for your opinion, everything helps.....

Kent

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    One man's "typical" is another man's "OOOOOOOHHHHHHMMMMMYYYYYYY....."

There are a ton of variables here.... pads, rotors, braking style, track speed, driver experience level, and more... many of which can have a significant bearing on how hot stuff gets and how long it stays that way.

In my experience, even "high temp caliper paint" doesn't really last through many hours of track use, with the way I abuse my brakes and the pad compounds I use. But I've never bothered to powder coat to have experience with that... so YMMV.

3. kent kanipe

kent kanipe New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Retired
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I did manage to find someone who used standard powder coat and had no problems at HPDE events. I'll give the powder coat a go this next week.

Kent

4. john171

john171 Club Coordinator

Jun 13, 2010
    Retired
    PA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Keep us posted on your results.....please.

5. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    #5 countryboyshane, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
    I've never measured the temp of the calipers but I can say that track pads get as hot as 1200F to 1400F under continued heavy braking on the track. How much heat that's transferred to the caliper depends on how long your session, ambient temp, thickness of brake pad compound...etc. Lot's of variables.

You can't go wrong with a high-temp epoxy paint like G2 caliper paint. It's more expensive than super dooper Duplicolor, but it won't flake off if you do it right. Even this will eventual get a little brown. I can't speak for power coating and its durability in high endurance track driving, but I would bet even that would get a little brown too if you plan on painting in a bright color.

6. kent kanipe

kent kanipe New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Retired
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My MINI is Horizon Blue. I was thinking yellow calipers, but black is still a possibility. I have stayed away from bright colors with my numerous mods with the idea that people who know will spot the mods without the presence bling. I was going to step outside that box with my brake upgrade. I hate it when I get indecisive. I really do value the opinions and perspectives offered up.

Kent

7. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Yellow will be really hard to keep clean. Street pad dust should clean off pretty easily if you get to it fast enough, but track pad dust is like Krazy Glue.

8. kent kanipe

kent kanipe New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Retired
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    The project is done. Went yellow with the calipers knowing I could go black if it doesn't work out. G2 paint is pretty good stuff and if you get prepared before beginning it is a piece of cake to do. I got four coats on everything that shows, also filed the various ridges smooth. The shop I worked with let me leave the car late on a Friday and I returned first thing Monday...on my way in no time. The rotors are stop tech, the EBC reds/SS Lines and brake fluid I got from Way. I added a few pictures to my garage if you are interested..

Kent

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    They look nice. Keep an eye on those drilled rotors if you do track days. There is a possibility of them cracking with track use.

10. kent kanipe

kent kanipe New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Retired
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Crashton and I will keep an eye on them....