About to order MINI Cooper S in NY

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Ray737, May 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Ray737

Ray737 Member

May 18, 2012
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hey Guys I am about to order my first Mini cooper S. I am in the final stages of trying to get a good deal. Just a few questions...is the Bluetooth add on worth it. Also is the run flat tires better all season or should I go with the other standard tires that come with the car.

Thanks

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance.

3. JECO

JECO Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Newsletter producer, retired DOT chief
    Crozet, VA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Welocme to the MINIacs. I strongly favor Bluetooth. The voice recognition is superb and is truly hands-free. You can dial names that you have stored or you can simply dial a number by stating it. I did not know you can order standard tires but I have had run-flats on three MINIs and find no fault with them.

4. Ray737

Ray737 Member

May 18, 2012
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info. When I mentioned standard I meant the standard run flats. I noticed there was a no cost option for "all season tires".

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    IMHO All Season tires really mean, "these tires are a compromise in every season".

For some folks they are great, for me, not so much so.

6. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    "Factory" bluetooth is an expensive PITA to install afterwards. If you ever think you'd use it, order it. (As well: there's no USB port without it).

I chose all seasons just so I wouldn't necessarily have to pull a tire swap during year one (Midwest resident). I'll eventually migrate to real snows on the original factory 16s, and an extra set of summer tires/rims on 17s. Mine came with Conti SSRs, I've been happy with them so far. They don't look very promising for handling snow, based on the tread pattern.

7. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A!

Bluetooth is very worth it. I got it in mine and I have been VERY happy with it. Getting the names programmed in at first is tedious but much easier once you do.

What part of the country do you live in? If you have snow, I reccomend getting the nice summer tires then getting a separate set of wheels with snow tires if you are planning on running in the snow.

The all seasons might be better if you are going to be running around in the wet a bunch (Seattle kinda weather).

If it's not too rainy (and doesn't snow) stick with the nicer summer tires and don't worry about it.

8. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Get the Bluetooth! There is NO retrofit for bluetooth on NEW MINI's if you drive and talk it's worth it and who knows how long it will be before a handsfree law will come into play. As others have said tires will depend on if you are gonna drive MINI in the snow. A snow tire package is always nice, then you dont have to worry about your summer tires and wheels getting messed up from the salt and sand in winter time.

9. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    We already have the hands free law in Ontario - came into effect last year. To get around it some people hold the phone down by their chest and use the speaker phone, hoping no one will notice:rolleyes:

10. Ray737

Ray737 Member

May 18, 2012
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the info guys. I live in NYC and we do have hands the hands free law. I normally drive with my Bluetooth in my ear. In thinking about it and reading comments I'm getting that option. I am thinking all season tires being that there's no way for me to have another storage area to put "snow" tires :( We live in small spaces in NY :)

Thanks for all the info guys. Looking forward to ordering on Monday or this weekend if I can get the dealership down to my price before the 750.00 rebate

11. Ray737

Ray737 Member

May 18, 2012
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Just ordered my mini cooper S. Hopefully it will arrive by July. Looking forward to driving around NYC.