1st Gen 100K+ ABS Sensor and Steering Angle Sensor

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by daviday, Nov 17, 2015.

1. daviday

daviday Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    So I've had the trifecta on for a while (DSC, ABS, and TPS/TPM) now and I never really cared as the car needed a lot of suspension bits. I recently got most everything out of the way and figured I'd get rid of the lights on the dash. I also ripped a brake pad wear sensor installing new pads some 6000 miles ago but that's neither here nor there.
    Backstory; The trifecta occurred after hitting a wicked pothole. Been on for the past several months as I've slowly replaced most everything on the front end suspension wise.
    Below are three pics. First is what it was showing Monday morning. Second is after a loop around the block. Third is after 50 miles.
    I've cleared the codes after every scan. The oddest thing is that in the middle of those 50 miles 2 out of maybe the 6 times I started the car no lights were lit up. (Except the brake pad sensor light).
    I don't have pictures but when this first occurred immediately after the hole but codes read ONLY front left sensor.
    Obviously, start with the cheapest item first but curious if anyone can tell me more about the steering angle sensor.
    Thanks in advance fellas.

Attached Files:

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    steering angle sensor just freaks out sometimes. It can be re-initialized with INPA (I think) and that may help.

Looks like you definitely have some issue with the wheel speed sensor. Any chance you've replace the wheel bearings with non-OEM?

3. daviday

daviday Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Not yet. I believe they're original. 110k miles. The wheels have very very little play but from what I've read the 12 and 6 play check method isn't accurate with these cars. The front left is the corner that took the brunt of the hit. The fact that it's somewhat intermittent makes me think that I may be able to get away with possibly cleaning it. I feel like I've read that somewhere but I ordered one anyway. Depending on this weekend I'll see where I end up with it.

Good to know on the steering angle sensor. Thanks.

Is aftermarket really that questionable when it comes to wheel bearings?

4. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    If you haven't cleaned the wheel speed sensors, then, yeah, that's the first thing to try. ALWAYS worked for me, when I had the trifecta.

Yes, others have reported issues with the wheel speed sensor pickup on aftermarket wheel bearings. But I wouldn't replace them unless you're having symptoms. You WILL KNOW when they are bad. They'll sound like the car is grinding itself to death.

5. daviday

daviday Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    A little update. Did another 30 or so miles today. The ABS light turns off. Then turns back on, then turns off..... Hoping I can get away with cleaning it.... Will update when I get it sorted and all lights are off and not registering any fault codes.

6. daviday

daviday Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Update; I've had the sensor in the back seat for a couple weeks now and I had time to play with the car today. I cleaned it first, put the wheel back on and drove around the block turning the car off a few times. As I'm pulling back in and coming to a stop the lights came back on. I replaced it and so far so good. Hopefully it stays that way. I'll run a scan next time I'm at the shop regardless though.

7. daviday

daviday Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I was on the parkway this am and as soon as I got up to speed all three lights came back on... Keep you guys posted. :(

8. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Once I was having weird issues like this and tracked it down to nasty / gunky / wet plug on the DSC/ABS unit under the hood. I unplugged it, cleaned both sides well with electrical contact spray, an plugged it back in, using some dielectric grease on the seals... and that fixed it.

9. daviday

daviday Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    New tires came in this AM and on my way to the garage the rear lower strut bolt snapped putting the car on it's butt. Where under the hood am I looking for the ABS/DSC unit?

10. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    It's in the cowl space on the passenger's side, a box with half a dozen brake lines going into it. There's one big cable bundle that plugs in. You slide the end of the plug up to unlatch it, then pull the cable off. Clean and reinstall.

11. daviday

daviday Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    So after 500 miles on my new rubber I did the front hub assemblys and the passenger side drive shaft. It feels like a brand new car and all lights are off. Thanks again for the help.

12. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    Always like hearing that with the help of forum members that problems were solved.

13. daviday

daviday Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    A little hiccup for those following this. The DSC and the TPMS light came on twice but went off after restarting the car. Plugged the car in just now and it seems as if I have to re-calibrate the tire pressure system as it's still set for run flats. Does this sound right? It's also showing the steering angle sensor again. Which is annoying me a bit.

It's not uploading my image of the verus screen showing. I'll try later on.