1st Gen R53 Cooper S Absolute Horrid Fuel Mileage!

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by BoostCzaR53, Apr 5, 2012.

1. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Just picked up this 02 MCS a few weeks ago, has about 98k on the clock, did a tune up the second day I had it, air filter and such. Factory wheels and tires set at door jam recommendation 38 psi. All OE Mini parts, I realigned the car myself at work. I drive the car an average of 13-14 miles one way to work, about 80% of that commute is highway! I drive VERY gingerly on this vehicle, I am used to more power so I have no reason to beat on it or flog it seeking a thrill lol.

Ughhh done with my rambling, lets move onto numbers and figures!

I have filled up 4 times within one thousand miles! (800-900 miles)

Most recent numbers I have are, within filling up to a full tank (via gauge) I am getting about 27-35 miles PER QUARTER TANK! No leaks, no CEL, no misfiring! The car seems to have decent power (all the power its ever gonna have), it is COMPLETELY BONE STOCK, no modifications whatsoever!

I am averaging about 100-130 miles per half tank and about 200-250 miles PER FULL TANK! This is absolutely horrid! My stroked, forged turbo Miata with cage, and standalone engine management was getting 30-33mpg highway and about 25-27 mixed! With just a tick over 300whp!

Since I am new to Minis, I am posting here to see if I can get some "heads up" or "tips/pointers" to look for on this vehicle, or maybe there are common problem areas I have not yet learned of and maybe some veteran Mini owners can provide input? I have read something about maybe a leaky bypass valve. Any symptoms other then possibly shitty MPG to look for with that scenario? At light tip-in on the throttle I can hear a slight whistling sound that I attributed to just an intake "sucking" sound though, similar to vehicles with CAI. Am I wrong for this assumption?

2. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    The only maintenance I have yet to perform is new O2 sensors, but from my deep experience with engine tuning there is NO way a "warn out/aged" O2 sensor can cause a 10mpg+ drop WITHOUT setting some sort of CEL for misfires/too rich/too lean or catalyst efficiency codes. I do believe that fresh O2 sensors would help, but not improve 10mpg+!

3. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Something must be wrong at about 19 MPG

I would think you should be getting at least 28/30 mpg.

Are you using premium gas or regular?

19 MPG in a Mini is just not right. Something gotta be wrong.

:confused5:

4. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    27-35 per qtr tank, what I'd the range on fill ups? If its that high , hell I only get 23 on my 06 JCW doing local.

5. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Premium only obviously, I am getting about 200-265 per TANK!

And MR.Jim, thats 27-35 miles per quarter tank, not MPG.

6. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I get 22 MPG or so on my '06 MCS (your same motor), but I've got several engine mods, including larger injectors, so I'd expect mine to be a little bit thirsier than yours. Maybe a target of 26MPG or so on average for a stock MCS (with 2/3 highway miles).

7. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    From dead empty, an MCS is what about 12-12.5 gallon tank?

Go figure with 12 gallons, and my current best of 260 miles to a full tank of fuel, thats about 21mpg! All with ginger/soft driving. I feel this is WAYYYY too inefficient or am I out of place and these little cars really do offer "Mini" sized space with SUV thirst?

My 06 Wrangler 4.0 6 speed with 32" tires gets 22.8mpg on highway and like 17-18 in town?

8. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    On my 06 JCW w/tune my tracked average over the past 30,000 miles is exactly 19 MPG. My best fuel economy was 24.6 mpg (must have been a road trip) and my worst was 11.7 mpg (must have been a track day).

My 05 Justa Vert tacked over last 19,000 miles is averaging 21.5 mpg. 40.2 best (no idea how I got that) and 19.0 worst.

All driving is mixed use with heavy LA traffic.

I've found that on long trips I can get 330+ mile per tank if averaging 75 mph. Slower I can get further, faster is not as far. In daily driving, if my wife used the car she will get about 280 miles to the tank on her 15 mile one way commute. If I am driving I will only get about 220 miles and my commute is 5 miles one way. I'm also a strong believer in exercising the go pedal's full range of motion as often as possible.

9. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Doncha love a guy who tells you what his new car should do based on what his old (completely different other brand) car does?

Didja get a chance to check any of the 6 or 7 things I suggested on the other site?

10. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Say what? 265 miles per tank, divided by 4, comes out to 66.25 miles per quarter tank. Perhaps lower than average, but not horrid by MCS standards.

On a non-S R52, much of our driving is on congested San Francisco streets, and 17-18 mpg is typical.

11. cooper99

cooper99 Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Circus side show
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Your numbers definitely aren't out of the norm.

Driving style greatly influences the fuel economy on our cars. A couple weeks ago, I drove very gently (most people would consider this normal driving) from Columbus to Detroit and back went almost 380 miles between fill ups.

However, for most of my daily commute/spirited driving, I probably average 230-300 miles between fill-ups (20-25 mpg). I try not to think about it anymore and just enjoy the sound of the supercharger, Alta intake, and Magnaflow exhaust.

12. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    #12 BoostCzaR53, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
    You lean WAY too heavily on the fact that my comparison is just a different brand, and not the fact that it is an iron block, forged setup with a large sized compressor and aggressively tuned for power all while being flogged on hard on a daily basis all while having a small gas tank (10.5 gallon). Double the power to the tires, and a shorter final drive (4.10) so highway was not really a favorite of the car. All in all while on a standalone management setup. To be driven very lightly, have a larger tank and half the power, id say according to OTHER members reports of MCS mileage that mine is WELL below what is not EXPECTED but what is SEEN. Using common knowledge of tuning, and hell just making more power all together you would realize with triple the size injectors and fuel pump also with double the power I would need QUITE more fuel for the Mazda especially when driven hard yet its smaller gas tank and more power got better fuel mileage by about 10mpg.

See what I am getting at here? How much since would it make to say a 400hp V8 gets better gas mileage by a good distance then a bone stock I4 with quarter the displacement and power? Would that not make you do a double take and say "whats wrong with that I4?" You should also check my reply to your suggestions on the other site as well. Not bashing, just stating dont base your replies or your thoughts that I am "way off" on merely the fact that its a different model car in comparison.

13. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    lol and no Dave, I dont have a hole in my intake manifold. :p

14. BoostCzaR53

BoostCzaR53 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    NC
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    The car is getting poor fuel mileage, based on what its rated for and for its design and driving style, therefore I posted here to see if anybody else is suffering from it even with well upkeep of maintenance and service to see if there is a common problem such as maybe a leaky bypass, or whatever else? Maybe an OE design flaw that someone has noticed and corrected. Thats all, not trying to ruffle feathers here lol

15. Mr. C

Mr. C New Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Oklahoma State University, CLGT
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    For what it is worth, my new car is a low mileage (8k miles) 05 MCS with JCW engine including injectors. Here are the last three tanks mpgs: Miles Per Gallon Date
    29.9 04/05/12 18:11
    29.7 04/04/12 16:40
    21.4 04/03/12 11:29
    The 30mpg averages are highway driving at about 75 mph average. The 21.4 is all in town enjoying the acceleration amid stop and go traffic.
    Michael

16. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Good stuff, but I seldom keep track of the MPG in my MCS. I'm headed to the coast tomorrow and I'll keep tabs on the fuel economy and report back on Monday.

17. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I usually get about 250-300 miles out of an almost empty tank. Closer to 400 when spending the whole tank at constant highway speeds.

18. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'm averaging about 320 miles per tank. A mix of highway & city driving with a few rev-limiter tests per tank.... :)

19. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    My 6 cyl. Lexus ES got 29 mpg, so by your logic my MINI should get at least 40, right?

By extension, when I drove my JCW there were times it only got between 6.2 and 7.1 mpg - must be something horribly wrong with it, right?

My point was comparing any two differnt make, model etc cars is worth very little unless you're doing a controled mileage test. They're different ....period.

Likewise, driving conditions play a large role in your fuel mileage - my example above was a track day.

So, it sounded like you were looking for the magic button under the dash to push that would "fix" your car, when there might not be anything wrong with it, or it might be that you have a mechanical issue, or that the previous owner modded it - had it tuned - poorly, changed injectors etc etc. The only cure for that is to go back and do all the basic checks - compression and leakdown, look for vacuum leaks, fuel leakage, tuning issues etc. Too many variables for us to guess at a real answer.

I can't find your post on the other site, nor do I care to go look, I rarely go there because when I post some thoughtful replies to someone's querry I get pillloried for my trouble.

Here, I was trying to use a little levity and it clearly didn't work, sorry.

And maybe your thread title may have been a little off-putting, considering how many people responded that it seemed about right - depending on circumstances?

20. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    That's about what I see as well. In Columbus I get a bit less than I did when living in Cincinnati but I attribute that to the lack of hills to coast down. ;)