1st Gen R53 Cooper S AC compressor?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Rae, May 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Anyone know where the compressor is and is replacing it a DIY job? When I picked up Huntley, the AC worked, but made a rattling noise. I figured it was just fluff in the fan housing. I tried it this week (it was finally warm enough) little green light flashes, no rattling, no cold air. It's a manual system. Looking at the price of compressors I was thinking about trying to do it myself. I just can't find the thing. Any thoughts? If I do DIY, I'll post pics.

2. Rated_R

Rated_R New Member

May 14, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I found a DIY this past weekend. Ill find it again and post it as I need to replace mine as well.

3. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    may not need a compressor-don't be too quick to condemn it

It MAY have been slightly noisy due to low charge/oil. This system only holds .93/lb of R134 refrigerant with a slight oil charge. I have recharged many that were down to .60 or so which is low enough for the compressor to shut off, and they worked fine after only a proper evac & recharge. This work DOES require an accurate recycling machine, not something most DIY folks have. These machines evacuate and weigh how much charge was left in the system, then you have a way to complete a diagnoisis of what is going on. Find an independant A/C repair shop in your area and pay for an a/c service-with the correct amount in the system, the pressures can be read and correct system operation can be determined.

as for the actual answer to the question posted, The compressor is the bottom/forward pulley on your serpentine belt, removing the bumper, etc and getting the core support in the "service" position will get you access to it. IF you decide to remove the compressor without a proper service first, PLEASE be careful-even a tiny big of refrigerant left in the system can cause a big pressure blow out when you unbolt the manifold assy at the rear of the compressor.

4. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tip! After reading through the instructions in the Bentley, I'm definitely taking it in to my mechanic. Hopefully it's just low, it did come from SoCal, so it's been used a lot I'm thinking. I'll let you know!

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Yea this one is on the edge of DIY. I do my own,but I can get my hands on the vacuum pump. I would make sure the mechanic knows minis.
    Good luck I hope it's a simple fix..