Most liked posts in thread: Adding cruise control

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I think it depends on the year. I believe this could be added to the 1st gen cars. I am unsure of 2nd gen.

Edit...found that MINI does or did have a retrofit kit that adds the Multifunction Steering Wheel which includes cruise. Have no idea on pricing or labor or even if the kit is still available. See http://www.bridger.us/mini/howto/MFSW.PDF

2. fancyk

fancyk New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    from other threads I just read on Mini2 it sounds like its not even worth the cost or time to attempt it. Especially if you don't get any reasonably priced dealership backup in case I screw something up. That was in 2005, it would be nice to know that things are different today.

3. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It probably isn't worth the cost but then again I use my cruise control a lot and feel it saves me a lot of gas in keeping me at reasonable speeds.

4. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My '02 MCS did not

have cruise. When i inquired back in '04 it was $1,500.00 in parts and $2,000.00 in labor.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    :eek6:

Given the minor overall mpg savings you're likely to get with cruise, it would take quite a while to recoup that investment. On the other hand, I assume this includes the MFSW...wonder if they hook everything up so you get the sound system controls as well. I have the MFSW and I've used the cruise maybe a dozen times or so in more than seven years (it's a stop-and-go traffic thing), but I've used the stereo controls on nearly every drive...very convenient IMHO.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Cruise is invaluable on a long trip. But it does depend on where you are. Here in TX where you can be on I-10 doing 80 (the speed limit) and not see another car for miles cruise control is a godsend. But in places that have a bit more congestion it may prove to be unusable.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I used it all the time when I lived in West TX, but I eventually got in into my head that cruise just eliminated one more thing for me to concentrate on and therefore would contribute to my then-growing tendency to take little naps while driving. In case anyone is wondering, I DO NOT recommend napping while driving... Then I moved and had to commute in and out of DC, and the stop-and-go traffic completely broke me of the cruise control habit before I bought the MINI.

8. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Excellent stuff. I very occassionally use my cruise - but typically enjoy being more "engaged" and DO find it keeps me more alert - plus, if you're gonna maximize average velocity on long trips, situational awareness and variations of speed are necessary to avoid friendly visits with uncle LEO.

9. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    When I ordered my MINI I included the MFSW for the non-cruise controls but got both of course since it's a package. I remember thinking at the time that cruise control + manual transmission = nonsense! I was focusing on times I'd used it in other cars on cross-country trips and through hilly areas the auto tranny would shift as needed. Since then I've learned it's obviously not nonsense but you do need to be aware of terrain and engine speed and remember to downshift when appropriate.

10. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I never did get the cruise added. Drove the '02 for 3 years with quite a few roadtrips of between 800 and 4000 miles. It was all good.

In fact, when I bought the '02 MINI I used the fact that it had no cruise and got money off the asking price.

For the right money, I can live without cruise.